Couch Coach

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow
Unpopular opinion: Curry gets blamed for a lot of screw ups that are others screw ups.

I'll eat crow here. Watching him track down the QB for a 19 yard gain live, I kept cursing how slow he was. From the gif, it was obviously Knight who caused the issue in the first place and Curry shouldn't have had to cover for the mistake. He's just not fast enough to cover for mistakes very well which leads untrained eyes like myself to think he's the one making mistakes he fails to cover.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It was so well timed, he didn’t see it
It was a one step drop on a scripted pass to the other side of the field. There was no time for him to "feel" the pressure. Only chance Sims had on that was reading the pressure before the play and changing the blocking which is a lot to expect from a true freshman. It was a well timed blitz that took advantage of us having two true freshmen playing at the positions that needed to deal with that.
Maybe the first one. The second video shows guys breaking free straight up the middle while he's got the ball in Griffin's belly. No way he had time to throw that ball at that point and probably should have just eaten it.

LibertyTurns

Banned
No he’s doing run his responsibility in this RPO
We brought the TE in motion, then pulled the RT. Cuse D stuffed the box to the side the TE and RT vacated. The fact we didn’t hand off given the immediate advantage was not a good call. Obviously Sims needs more work on his reads. This one seemed like a no brainer.

Secondly, I’ve been relatively content with P’nut’s play calling. This appears to be more execution, ie the play is too slow developing. There’s similar issues in quite a few plays where we’re just too damn slow. Sims needs to get the ball out way faster.

Lastly, maybe the back up QB was sitting at home but Sims probably needed a series or 2 in the 1st half on the sideline for calibration? I think we saw a difference 1st to 2nd half.

Correct these 2 issues and a lot of problems go away. We got 2 weeks to take that next step in the journey and shock Looie Vill on national tv. I hope we don’t throw the baby out with the batch water.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Whoa now, kemosabe
Syracuse in a Gun strong look (RB on the same side as TE)
giphy.gif

Appear to be a power play

We have outside WLB blitz

Problem:

Essentially, Syracuse scored a TD with 3 lineman blocking 6 defenders

on the the right side, we have 2 defenders on the outside shoulder of the tackle. I believe the DT is in the wrong gap as well but manages to take 2 lineman out

Left side- The MLB read key is a G/ T thru to the RB. The tackle pulls which should take the LB there as well. For some odd reason, he jumps outside with the unblocked DE.

In this cluster**** of play, we should’ve had Curry scraping over the top and the unaccounted for Safety for the tackle. Instead we have a guy who takes himself out of the play completely, missed tackle by the FS and the strong safety who assumes the tackle will be made and watches for a TD

Can someone explain to me why the LBs were so close to the DLs that they were essentially the 4th and 5th DL, and why they were occupying the same gaps as the Defensive ends? That was essentially a stacked Defensive End look, leaving the NT responsible for two gaps at the LOS, and two LBs responsible for 4 gaps past the LOS. Since they were so close to the LOS, they had no angle to support the two middle gaps behind the NT. The two gaps on each side of the offensives center (basically the gaps the NT was responsible for) had no LB level support. All the RB had to do was look at which side the NT was penetrating and pick the other side..which he did. We essentially overloaded the outside of the tackles and left the middle to one man (NT) and Juanyeh who was 7-8 yards down field.

That play was the RB vs Juanyeh...and we all know how that ended.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Can someone explain to me why the LBs were so close to the DLs that they were essentially the 4th and 5th DL, and why they were occupying the same gaps as the Defensive ends? That was essentially a stacked Defensive End look, leaving the NT responsible for two gaps at the LOS, and two LBs responsible for 4 gaps past the LOS. Since they were so close to the LOS, they had no angle to support the two middle gaps behind the NT. The two gaps on each side of the offensives center (basically the gaps the NT was responsible for) had no LB level support. All the RB had to do was look at which side the NT was penetrating and pick the other side..which he did. We essentially overloaded the outside of the tackles and left the middle to one man (NT) and Juanyeh who was 7-8 yards down field.

The more I watch this, the more I think it's Quez's blown assignment. He vacates the middle to go around the left side (right side as we're watching). He runs himself out of the play and leaves a gaping hole that Juanyeh is slow to fill. The RG is left with no one to block. @Ibeeballin correct me if I'm wrong.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
The more I watch this, the more I think it's Quez's blown assignment. He vacates the middle to go around the left side (right side as we're watching). He runs himself out of the play and leaves a gaping hole that Juanyeh is slow to fill. The RG is left with no one to block. @Ibeeballin correct me if I'm wrong.

Quez is on C gap blitz. The DE needs to be inside the tackle in the b gap

In perfect world, since the run is going away with a pulling read key (the tackle) Curry needs to flow to the ball and create a vice with the safety

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Be he took read step and guessed wrong. It’s no reason for Curry to step in the gap when run away ESPECIALLY with the DE being responsible for the QB

slugboy

Staff member
I played CB and never learned LB reads (definitely not at this level). Is there any 4-3 or other defense with an MLB where Curry wouldn’t be coached to read like you want him to?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Be he took read step and guessed wrong. It’s no reason for Curry to step in the gap when run away ESPECIALLY with the DE being responsible for the QB

What's frustrating about that play is it wasn't an exotic look by the offense, or it's not something they haven't seen before. It's a staple read play almost every team has....and yet our defense butchered it.

This is something that shouldn't be happening in Year 2.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
What's frustrating about that play is it wasn't an exotic look by the offense, or it's not something they haven't seen before. It's a staple read play almost every team has....and yet our defense butchered it.

This is something that shouldn't be happening in Year 2.

Especially not with Van Wilder at MLB

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Quez is on C gap blitz. The DE needs to be inside the tackle in the b gap

In perfect world, since the run is going away with a pulling read key (the tackle) Curry needs to flow to the ball and create a vice with the safety
@Ibeeballin: So, the DE should have shot the B gap, forcing the tackle to block down? Then Quez has a better line to the QB? Curry should have scraped to his left , which would have drawn the RG, funnelling the RB directly towards Juanyeh (if the hole was even there)? I too was a DB, so on blitz packages I don't really know where the LB's are supposed to go.

Edit: looks like the LG would have blocked Curry if he tried to scrape. Am I wrong in what I'm seeing?