Couch Coach

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Here are a few gifs i decided to breakdown to give an idea of what happened on field vs. Syracuse

Offense:

A lot of style without the substance of scoring TDs or points at all. I believe Sims is the future but he is a freshman and will make mistakes. Currently, Sims has some BAD luck. Here are the two tipped INTs

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Here is an RPO vs Cuse’s man blitz
1) Initially, i thought this should’ve been a give to the RPO but the back camera shows you what Sims see, which is #11 stepping up on run support leaving a void for the slant.

Problem:
1) Quinney does a poor job washing the defender down who ultimately makes the play. A better block would give Sims the opportunity to make the throw to Carter in 1on1 coverage

2) Even if completed we appear have OL(Johnson) downfield

giphy.gif

Football word of the day is Scat
That’s the pass protection called when you send 5 receivers

Clearly, our offense has an idea of what Syracuse wants to do. With this route combo vs man coverage vertical/zig/swing pulls the LB out the middle LB clearing the way for the intended target, Camp, on the slant.

Problem with pass pro, you have to get a body on a body. Williams & Johnson double team the pinching DE leaving the LB (who timed the blitz perfectly) unblocked

Speaking of timing, one the biggest blunders CDP had imo with Sims is slowing the game down. This is why i didn’t mind the timeout vs. UCF when dealing with a True Freshman. Multiple times vs the blitz we snapped the ball with 20+ left in the play clock instead resetting the offense or pointing blitzers for the OLineman to pick up

Poor execution

giphy.gif

I’m ok with play but not with the personnel nor execution. This play screamed pass with Jamious at FB. Also, a bad sell on the give. There was nothing to make #13 pause so this could be completed. If given time, Ward was wide open in the end zone. (Look bottom of screen

I’ll be back with the defense in a few

slugboy

Staff member
I know Griffin was going out for a pass, but I really wish he'd chipped the rusher (13) on the way out. Maybe that's not what he was coached to do, but he wasn't close to being open, and even a half-second could have helped Sims.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I know Griffin was going out for a pass, but I really wish he'd chipped the rusher (13) on the way out. Maybe that's not what he was coached to do, but he wasn't close to being open, and even a half-second could have helped Sims.
That is Gibbs that blows by #13 - and its not his responsibility to entirely block him but to slow him down if he doesn't get caught peaking at the fake hand off from Sims to Griffin who was lined up as the full back on this play. That personnel issue (Griffin at FB) is probably due to a lack of HB/TE available.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Thanks @Ibeeballin, I really enjoy your breakdowns. Given our trouble blocking would it be beneficial to use fewer Than 4-5 receivers and use more of a max-protect blocking scheme? Also when we are getting killed by the blitz how about some screen plays to Gibbs, Simith, AB?

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
These are the types I enjoy on this board. Even if someone makes one that’s 100% negative, at least use clips and specifics.

Tjise first two interceptions probably wouldn’t have happened with better blocking. However, I think until we get a better offensive line, Sims is just going to have to learn that sometimes taking a sack is your best option. Especially on that first one.

Another quetion—we lined up in the I a few times on Saturday? Had we done that under Collins in the past? I can’t recall too many.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If you watch #85 (a TE) coming from L to R, he actually breaks wide open at the snap. I think Sims primary reads are to the side he's bootlegging to, so he may not have had time. Would have been interesting to see Sims step up after the mesh and pop a pass to 85. Don't see the whole field in that gif, but it looks like Syracuse was in a Cover 0 on that play which means 85 had no coverage over the top.

Of course, it's easier to see on replays than it is on the field with 270 lb dudes barreling down on you. Also, for those that were screaming give Sims a directional bootleg with option to run in the redzone (which I'm one of them), there you go. Doesn't matter if our guys can't execute and our QB has someone in his face.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
So what I am gathering is the OL is improved, but not enough to run the offense at full speed.
Why not dumb it back down a little? Not as many RPOs and get Sims into a rhythm. It will also hopefully keep the defense honest. Syracuse figured out if they send 6 or even 7 that we crumble. I think we dice teams up that sit in coverage, which means we have to have quick dump passes. Nothing that takes a while to develop. I see us running a ton of quick slants with a TE option and the RB going out to the flats as a some what check down. That or let the RB run protection with option for a 2 yard dump ahead of the line. Just looking at what worked in that 1st drive at FSU. That and little out routes and screens to the outside if they play soft coverage. Not trying to pick up 25 yards at a time, trying to move the chains. every 2 pass/run plays. Sims deep ball needs a little work, that may get better with better pass protection. Looking at some of the plays in the FSU game Sims looks the most confident with short yardage plays, and read option. RPO seems too long to develop for the OL at most times.

Just thinking out of my a$$ while I listen in on a meeting lol.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I am curious how our Oline stacks up against the rest in the ACC. Where we rank and where we will rank at the end of the year.
So far I think Cochran would of helped, but feel the tackles aren't necessarily the biggest issue. Seems like the 3 in the middle are having a tough time. @Ibeeballin Thoughts? Maybe 2021 will be better due to getting more of Keys players into the shuffle?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
These are the types I enjoy on this board. Even if someone makes one that’s 100% negative, at least use clips and specifics.

Tjise first two interceptions probably wouldn’t have happened with better blocking. However, I think until we get a better offensive line, Sims is just going to have to learn that sometimes taking a sack is your best option. Especially on that first one.

Another quetion—we lined up in the I a few times on Saturday? Had we done that under Collins in the past? I can’t recall too many.

Sims probably gets that throw off in high school 90%+ of the time. On this level, guys are a LOT quicker and longer so the time a QB has to get those throws off shortens exponentially.

One thing he did well against FSU that I didn't see him do well against Syracuse was adjusting in the pocket. On that interception, if he would have stepped up to the left, he would have evaded that pass rusher enough for a clean throw. Instead, he thinks he has enough time to get the ball out but has the defender get into his throwing arc and causes him to pop up the ball for an INT.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Sims probably gets that throw off in high school 90%+ of the time. On this level, guys are a LOT quicker and longer so the time a QB has to get those throws off shortens exponentially.

One thing he did well against FSU that I didn't see him do well against Syracuse was adjusting in the pocket. On that interception, if he would have stepped up to the left, he would have evaded that pass rusher enough for a clean throw. Instead, he thinks he has enough time to get the ball out but has the defender get into his throwing arc and causes him to pop up the ball for an INT.
I would think the game will slow down for him and when it does teams will find it hard to stop us with him and our running backs

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
So what I am gathering is the OL is improved, but not enough to run the offense at full speed.
Why not dumb it back down a little? Not as many RPOs and get Sims into a rhythm. It will also hopefully keep the defense honest. Syracuse figured out if they send 6 or even 7 that we crumble. I think we dice teams up that sit in coverage, which means we have to have quick dump passes. Nothing that takes a while to develop. I see us running a ton of quick slants with a TE option and the RB going out to the flats as a some what check down. That or let the RB run protection with option for a 2 yard dump ahead of the line. Just looking at what worked in that 1st drive at FSU. That and little out routes and screens to the outside if they play soft coverage. Not trying to pick up 25 yards at a time, trying to move the chains. every 2 pass/run plays. Sims deep ball needs a little work, that may get better with better pass protection. Looking at some of the plays in the FSU game Sims looks the most confident with short yardage plays, and read option. RPO seems too long to develop for the OL at most times.

Just thinking out of my a$$ while I listen in on a meeting lol.

Not quite. We are good enough to the run our scheme, what I’m suggesting is when you see these pressure schemes or guys walking up in the gaps. Take 5 more seconds of the play clock and set the protection and get the communication correct of who is picking up who

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I am curious how our Oline stacks up against the rest in the ACC. Where we rank and where we will rank at the end of the year.
So far I think Cochran would of helped, but feel the tackles aren't necessarily the biggest issue. Seems like the 3 in the middle are having a tough time. @Ibeeballin Thoughts? Maybe 2021 will be better due to getting more of Keys players into the shuffle?

Ive been so busy that couldn’t even give you legitimate answer

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not quite. We are good enough to the run our scheme, what I’m suggesting is when you see these pressure schemes or guys walking up in the gaps. Take 5 more seconds of the play clock and set the protection and get the communication correct of who is picking up who

Another thought is have they given Sims any audibles? Even just a safe inside zone give if he sees something he doesn’t like.

slugboy

Staff member
I can't give the full answer, but:
  • Not up to the same level as Clemson, Notre Dame, UNC, or BC (which might be the best)
  • Miami, Pitt should also be better
  • We're better than FSU
  • Syracuse I'd say is a push.
  • I don't know enough about UVa, Louisville, VT, NCST, Duke, and WF to answer.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
A little help here I thought the center would do that , is that not the case

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I can't give the full answer, but:
  • Not up to the same level as Clemson, Notre Dame, UNC, or BC (which might be the best)

Interesting about BC. I know we talk about recruiting and specifically about GT's historical inability to recruit DT's. Yet Pitt for DL over the last several years and apparently BC (at least in the short term) with OL seemed to have figured out how to recruit lineman at places that aren't thought of to have all the advantages of the glamour schools (OSU, ND, Bama, Clemson, etc.) Is there a key difference in recruiting (or perhaps developing) lineman vs other positions on the field? Curious to what y'all think on this.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Interesting about BC. I know we talk about recruiting and specifically about GT's historical inability to recruit DT's. Yet Pitt for DL over the last several years and apparently BC (at least in the short term) with OL seemed to have figured out how to recruit lineman at places that aren't thought of to have all the advantages of the glamour schools (OSU, ND, Bama, Clemson, etc.) Is there a key difference in recruiting (or perhaps developing) lineman vs other positions on the field? Curious to what y'all think on this.
I think once you start developing a position then it becomes known it will be a good spot for you to possibly get to the next level. BC and Iowa always have OL sent to the NFL. VT has safeties and linebackers. Our problem is we haven't sent many recently and don't have anything to show for it except WRs which doesn't make sense to kids now because they were from the old staff ironically.
We need to get Dline players to the league and that starts with squeezing out every ounce of potential with the guys we have now. Ryans may have a shot if he stays healthy. He has size. Knight in year 3 may develop into a nice LB. I have a tough time thinking anyone in our secondary at this moment goes on day 1 or day 2. Tre being hurt/out has killed any draft stock he had. I can see him going in the 6th to 7th round if he balls out when he returns. He doesn't have size or super speed to his advantage.

Collins is smart to build the team based on what the NFL wants. It will give the program a better chance of sending guys to the NFL based on measurables. Some guys get drafted on measurables alone. Once we have a healthy input into the next level I think we see more talent really looking our way.

BUT that doesn't happen without developing players, a solid scheme, and solid recruiting(not just highest star, but finding those diamonds in the rough)