Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The problem is they moved the goalpost from flattening the curve to somehow stopping the spread of the virus.
Just curiously, what was the U.S. definition of flattening the curve? What were the parameters that were specified by public health experts that we met before we could have even declared that?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
1) You will never prevent death.

Yes, I'm well aware we're all going to die. But you can prevent some death from COVID by delaying the spread until there's a vaccine.
Smart people will take the vaccine, and Darwin Award winners will not.

TechPreacher

Banned
I do find it really intriguing that the places struggling with this anarchy are places like Portland and Minnesota, the whitest wokest places in the country. They are literal ****holes right now full of white people losing their ****. Crazy.

What do you expect when all they have ever heard is that they should be ashamed of being White, because the greatest civilizations on earth only got that way by stealing from everyone else? And during history class, all they got was, "Now, class, George Washington was our first president, and he owned slaves. Thomas Jefferson was our third president, and he owned slaves. Andrew Jackson was our seventh president, but he was mean to the Indians." White guilt, White privilege, White fragility, Multiculturalism, "Diversity is our strength", White man racist, etc. The anti-American, globalist, education cabal is well-pleased with its accomplishments.

Deleted member 2897

Just curiously, what was the U.S. definition of flattening the curve? What were the parameters that were specified by public health experts that we met before we could have even declared that?

Generally speaking, flattening the curve is decreasing infections so that we don’t overfill our hospitals. Except for a couple places like NYC we did just that. Most of Europe failed royally. But watch the news and you’d think we were the ones failing. The area under the curve is very similar, which is why most differences between the 200 countries is in data collection/purity.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
@BeachBuzz said:
The problem is they moved the goalpost from flattening the curve to somehow stopping the spread of the virus.

Your response was:
Flattening the curve = slowing the spread of the virus.

The stay at home orders did slow the spread of the virus, which was stated as the goal of the stay at home orders. Your definition of "flattening the curve" supports his claim that the goalposts moved.

I do think we lifted restrictions without much guidance on how to maintain better control. (keep maintaining distance, wear masks, etc) I also think we waited far to long to lift some restrictions. I have listed several of the restrictions that were in place and had zero effect on spreading the virus plenty of times.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
New mandates effective 12 am tonight, all bars are closed and restaurants are reduced to 25% capacity. Although 3/4 of the deaths come from nursing homes, no mandates for employees or visitors of long term care facilities. Beshear says protests are out of their control and says "hey, we cant worry about this guy over here not wearing his mask". No comments yet about students returning to schools in a few weeks. But those damn bars need to be shutdown asap.

This is KY btw. Obviously. Yall know I live here....

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Generally speaking, flattening the curve is decreasing infections so that we don’t overfill our hospitals. Except for a couple places like NYC we did just that. Most of Europe failed royally. But watch the news and you’d think we were the ones failing. The area under the curve is very similar, which is why most differences between the 200 countries is in data collection/purity.
Again, you are making up your own definition of flattening the curve which isn't based off of anything. No one here set any guidelines (that were actually followed) for when we should reopen. We had no plans for infection rates, case numbers, hospitalization numbers, or anything else. Some states literally changed almost nothing before they declared they flattened the curve and quickly reopened, and had no real plan for reopening based off of any real data. You can claim Europe failed royally but most of Europe had fewer cases per Capita and fewer deaths per Capita than we did and are for the most part reopened again without issues while we are spinning our wheels trying to figure out what to do now that we are in the worst position we have been in.

Deleted member 2897

Again, you are making up your own definition of flattening the curve which isn't based off of anything. No one here set any guidelines (that were actually followed) for when we should reopen. We had no plans for infection rates, case numbers, hospitalization numbers, or anything else. Some states literally changed almost nothing before they declared they flattened the curve and quickly reopened, and had no real plan for reopening based off of any real data. You can claim Europe failed royally but most of Europe had fewer cases per Capita and fewer deaths per Capita than we did and are for the most part reopened again without issues while we are spinning our wheels trying to figure out what to do now that we are in the worst position we have been in.

Everything you just said was false. Look up your own definition of flattening the curve - I didn’t make it up. Quit that obnoxious bull****. Keeping hospitals below capacity doesn’t have to be defined, it says what it means. Go run some numbers on per capita deaths in Italy, Spain, the U.K., France, Sweden, and so on. You might be surprised. And again, that doesn’t even include tens and tens and tens and tens of thousands of deaths they all state publicly went uncounted. Stop making things up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I'm well aware we're all going to die. But you can prevent some death from COVID by delaying the spread until there's a vaccine.
Smart people will take the vaccine, and Darwin Award winners will not.
And what if there is never a vaccine? It currently looks good that there will be some kind of one, but there is no guarantee of it.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Everything you just said was false. Look up your own definition of flattening the curve - I didn’t make it up. Quit that obnoxious bull****. Keeping hospitals below capacity doesn’t have to be defined, it says what it means. Go run some numbers on per capita deaths in Italy, Spain, the U.K., France, and so on. You might be surprised. And again, that doesn’t even include tens and tens and tens and tens of thousands of deaths they all state publicly went uncounted. Stop making things up.
It’s not obnoxious. You keep claiming we had a plan and you know we didn’t. As for the numbers, I don’t need to calculate them, they are already there for everyone to see. The U.S. is 11th worst in the world in deaths per capita and rising. 6 of the 44 countries in Europe are above us in deaths per capita. Only 2 are above us in cases per capita. Explain to me how 38 out of 44 being better than us is not most. And good luck even hanging on to that position. While we are going back over a thousand deaths per day, guess how many France reported yesterday. Zero. Germany also reported zero deaths and hasn’t had more than 10 deaths in the last two weeks. God those countries are doing terrible.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I typed that wrong. I meant it changed to stopping the spread of the virus.

Not sure it changed to that. Stopping the spread of the virus = eradicating the virus. Obviously if it does not spread at all, it dies out completely. Slowing the spread of the virus has always been the goal. Anything else is unrealistic (unless you're New Zealand, where they have just about annihilated it).

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
And what if there is never a vaccine? It currently looks good that there will be some kind of one, but there is no guarantee of it.

Well there will probably be a vaccine, and so upon that hope and probability it seems prudent, certainly for now, to slow the spread. I personally am trying to avoid it until there's a vaccine. Seems a reasonable course of action to me. If it becomes evident there isn't going to be one, then it will be time to re-evaluate.

As for guarantees, they're few and far between in this world. But that doesn't mean we should stop weighing alternatives and projecting outcomes as best we can, given what we know.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It’s not obnoxious. You keep claiming we had a plan and you know we didn’t. As for the numbers, I don’t need to calculate them, they are already there for everyone to see. The U.S. is 11th worst in the world in deaths per capita and rising. 6 of the 44 countries in Europe are above us in deaths per capita. Only 2 are above us in cases per capita. Explain to me how 38 out of 44 being better than us is not most. And good luck even hanging on to that position. While we are going back over a thousand deaths per day, guess how many France reported yesterday. Zero. Germany also reported zero deaths and hasn’t had more than 10 deaths in the last two weeks. God those countries are doing terrible.

I am not sure why people keep using the "well other countries are underreporting Covid data" defense when trying to defend the US's Covid numbers. It'a pretty well accepted that the United States is in the same "underreporting" boat as many countries unless someone is just flat out ignoring reality about how awful the US has handled all of this:

Well there will probably be a vaccine, and so upon that hope and probability it seems prudent, certainly for now, to slow the spread. I personally am trying to avoid it until there's a vaccine. Seems a reasonable course of action to me. If it becomes evident there isn't going to be one, then it will be time to re-evaluate.

As for guarantees, they're few and far between in this world. But that doesn't mean we should stop weighing alternatives and projecting outcomes as best we can, given what we know.
I think to say that there will "probably be a vaccine" is very hopeful, but probably also somewhat naive. We all HOPE there will be one, but how effective and lasting it will be are both totally unknown factors at this point, even if one is developed. I find it impractical to live my life simply based on a hope, that may never be realized, or at least still be a long way off.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure why people keep using the "well other countries are underreporting Covid data" defense when trying to defend the US's Covid numbers. It'a pretty well accepted that the United States is in the same "underreporting" boat as many countries unless someone is just flat out ignoring reality about how awful the US has handled all of this:
Lots of that going around...

LibertyTurns

Banned
Wow, what a day on GT Swarm!

Bingo. Given the choice between dying while still free, or living in bondage, I would rather die.
Yes sir!

Patrick Henry.
Think that was the give me liberty or give me death dude?? Still a great American but not the famous philanderer from Philly.

Well some idiot in Minnesota wore a swastika mask into their local Walmart over the weekend. Free country or not, that’s not okay.
Well it’s legal. It’s not OK, but that’s just our opinion until the law is changed.

Business would be thriving much better now had a little more care been taken earlier to stifle the spread of the virus.

And I seriously doubt the founding father you quoted was referring to reasonable measures taken to quell a pandemic.
We would have been much better off having tactical shutdowns instead of nationwide media driven hysteria. NYC needed to shutdown, their subways, keep the sick in hospitals quarantined instead of killing folks i. nursing homes, etc. We blew it. Now we need other shutdowns and people are unwilling because we duped them before. Maybe we shouldn’t have acted like toddlers having. a tantrum and actually thought are way thru this? You Libs won, the nation lost. Congrats!

And none of it is real. They created a model to show what the people funding the model wanted to see, and their friends agreed with their modeling. The fact they estimate 300 million people would have died in China without knowing directly and accurately what they did in China or what the real data is should be 1 of many red flags.
Yes, run a survey: would you rather completely shutdown then die from coronavirus. Then post on front page of every media thing that Americans overwhelmingly support complete lockdowns. People cannot even lie with a straight face anymore nor are they very clever.

I do find it really intriguing that the places struggling with this anarchy are places like Portland and Minnesota, the whitest wokest places in the country. They are literal ****holes right now full of white people losing their ****. Crazy.
Wonder why this is ? Maybe their ideas are crazy?

Push the virus towards the election- good
String it out as long as possible- good
Damage the nation as much as you can- good
Wrench as much free money out of the system as is humanly possible- good

There’s a lot of good coming out of this, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.