Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

GT_EE78

Banned
I heard on the local ATL news that the total number of deaths in Georgia below the age of 65 with no underlying health conditions is.....20. Total. I was amazed. This virus just doesn’t kill young or middle aged healthy people. Period.
There's data somewhere in the thread that also shows tiny to no death/hospitalization for those over 65 without underlying conditions.
the primary condition was hypertension (over 65) and obesity (under 65)

Deleted member 2897

They will eventually run out of whatever money they are using to stay afloat without going to work. This is one of those case where I think the government is set up to temporarily fill in the gaps.

It is definitely a tough situation. Put yourself in their shoes – do you ask that the plant shutdown and several hundred people lose their jobs because you and a couple other people don’t feel comfortable going back to work?

Deleted member 2897

07LyYYv.jpg

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
And so if you’re in those at risk groups, you can isolate and stay home as long as you want. Nobody can force you to come out, come out without a mask, not wash your hands, etc.
Those at risk groups are not just a handful of people. They also depend on the less at risk group for survival while "isolating and staying home as long as they want", meaning they have to be exposed in a number of ways to survive. Why do people so want to make this a zero sum game, while it has many many shades of gray?
I have yet to hear one salient case against what Drs. Fauci & Brix are suggesting as a road map to reopening---other than: I'm sick of this. I tend to believe as a layperson medically speaking, that most of us will become infected eventually, and that current expert (majority that is) opinion on reopening will buy extremely valuable time for finding and developing therapeutics to bridge the gap of time to develop a vaccine and testing capability, that is if we ever do.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Those at risk groups are not just a handful of people. They also depend on the less at risk group for survival while "isolating and staying home as long as they want", meaning they have to be exposed in a number of ways to survive. Why do people so want to make this a zero sum game, while it has many many shades of gray?
I have yet to hear one salient case against what Drs. Fauci & Brix are suggesting as a road map to reopening---other than: I'm sick of this. I tend to believe as a layperson medically speaking, that most of us will become infected eventually, and that current expert (majority that is) opinion on reopening will buy extremely valuable time for finding and developing therapeutics to bridge the gap of time to develop a vaccine and testing capability, that is if we ever do.

Im tired of the “this has so much nuance or shades of grey” talk. Some would have us sit still until we’ve covered every possible scenario there is.

At some point, and that point is now if we are going to have hope of recovering economically, you have to move forward and not live in fear huddled in your home.

This virus presents low risk for much of the country, so it’s time for people to be free to decide for themselves and their families how best to handle this, not the so-called experts you name (who have been wrong on this, by the way).

It is definitely a tough situation. Put yourself in their shoes – do you ask that the plant shutdown and several hundred people lose their jobs because you and a couple other people don’t feel comfortable going back to work?

Personally, I don't think it's wise for the at-risk population to just head back to work even if they might feel comfortable doing it, but it should definitely be their choice.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
Why do people so want to make this a zero sum game, while it has many many shades of gray?
I have no idea what zero sum game have to do with shades of gray, but when it comes to governing U.S., I sure hope those in power are viewing the task as approaching zero sum.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
At some point, and that point is now if we are going to have hope of recovering economically, you have to move forward and not live in fear huddled in your home.

Another factor is, what portion of the public is going to participate? For instance, you can open the business, but are enough people going to go out to keep it open? According to polls, most people are against reopening right now. I would assume a big portion of them aren't going to be getting out much. I'm not saying they should or shouldn't, but just pointing out that it isn't so simple as just opening up. You have to have a sufficient number of customers to make it work.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
That's not inconsistent at all. The federal constitution has rights and most (not all) of them have been "incorporated" by the due process clause of the 14th amendment to apply to the states. But the federal constitution does not include a "do what you want in an emergency, even if it endangers an entire community" amendment. (You can check.) State police power can't be used for everything - there are limits - but it can be used to get people to behave in such a way that they won't infect others with deadly diseases. The federal government doesn't have that power, except on federal reservations. States do.

Why is it that so many here won't see something as simple as that? What are governments for if they can't protect the lives of their citizens?
When it hits Home, they will see.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I have yet to hear one salient case against what Drs. Fauci & Brix are suggesting as a road map to reopening---other than: I'm sick of this.

I think there is more to it than just "I'm sick of this." The reporting has been mostly extreme isolation or extreme ignoring social distancing.
  • There hasn't been any real discussions about the goals of shut downs. The goals have been stated as saving lives. But how many? Every life, thousands of lives, millions of lives? At first it was millions, then hundreds of thousands, then tens of thousands, then thousands.
  • The federal guidelines to restart are decent, but they don't tell people in the public when things are going to happen. The tail on the model that many people have been using keeps moving further into the future. It now shows Georgia not being able to relax guidelines until late June. Some people interviewed in the media have stated that we should remain under the shut down until a vaccine is available which will take over a year if ever. People wouldn't agree to that even if it did save millions of lives.
  • Now there are people arguing to open things up in the media, but seem to be ignoring social distancing.
  • The regulations in some places had things restricted that had no real chance of infecting people such as fishing at a state park by yourself or walking on a beach with your family while more than 100 feet from everyone else.
Those kinds of things don't foster confidence in the media or the people in charge: state or national. There are people who are afraid to go to the doctor for extreme emergencies. According to an article in the AJC this morning, there are people who haven't called for help until too late. Ambulances have arrived after people have died. One lady in the AJC article didn't go to the hospital until several days after having a stroke, and has permanent damage because of the delay. There are also people who are fighting against any regulation whatsoever. In Ohio, people protested a regulation requiring masks to be worn in public. To me, that seems like a very good idea. You wearing a mask protects me better than me wearing a mask. However, I believe the lack of confidence in what the public has been told and are being told is causing some people to revolt.

The politicians should have been less political. The media should have been less sensationalistic. As things have happened, there are "sides" instead of facts. Once you get to this point, I don't see how you convince one side that things should be relaxed even when it concerns things with very low chance of spreading infection, or how you convince the other side that some considerations still must be considered even to protect the more at risk people.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
There are indeed shades of grey, but the counter argument (which you ignore) is that many people, perhaps as many as 100 million Americans, are being severely impacted in dollars and cents and making ends meet. Can you make your next rent or mortgage payment, do yo know how you will pay for food next month? Many Americans don't know with any certainty. THAT is the price that is being paid. There is your salient case...and to ignore it is unbelievably obtuse.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m not sure if people get reinfected with the common cold, or if they catch a different strain. There are about 200 “cold” viruses, and maybe different strains of those.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_cold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

also think that not alot of these people are getting reinfected, but never got over it originally. probably got a false negative after being infected but wasnt really over it.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Florida’s mandate still says those at risk should stay at home so as far as my business is concerned they stay at home and continue to collect unemployment. As far as job security goes once that runs out an individual can apply for FMLA and have job security for another 4 months.

At some point though an individual is either healthy enough to work like 98% of the population or not. As an employer I’ll hold a capable individual’s job as long as possible. That being said after 6+ months it would be more of a chore administratively retaining the individual than just letting them go and reapply when they felt capable of returning to the work force.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Another factor is, what portion of the public is going to participate? For instance, you can open the business, but are enough people going to go out to keep it open? According to polls, most people are against reopening right now. I would assume a big portion of them aren't going to be getting out much. I'm not saying they should or shouldn't, but just pointing out that it isn't so simple as just opening up. You have to have a sufficient number of customers to make it work.

Oh, you’re definitely right. Many people won’t. But the business owners should be able to open, if they so choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.