Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

LawyersGunsandMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
The US currently sits at 585,000 cases. The number to watch at end of day is 605,000. That would match yesterday's total of new cases. The further we stay below that number at the end of the day, the more of a trend downward we make in new cases.

Unfortunately what will happen is once numbers start going down somewhere and a governor feels safe to lift things, a new outbreak will occur and the media will crucify him and then other governors will overextend lockdowns to keep good press. It’ll be a game of chicken.

LawyersGunsandMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
That's what happens when the government picks winners and losers and does these sorts of bailouts. Its obnoxious.

I myself will probably be laid off if this goes to June and even with the CARES Act unemployment subsidy it’ll be a $50Kish paycut. To quote the Tiger King, I will never financially recover from this.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I myself will probably be laid off if this goes to June and even with the CARES Act unemployment subsidy it’ll be a $50Kish paycut. To quote the Tiger King, I will never financially recover from this.

I feel for you and everyone else in this position. It’s really heartbreaking. Cooler, calmer heads have got to start to prevail and get us back going again.

LawyersGunsandMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
I feel for you and everyone else in this position. It’s really heartbreaking. Cooler, calmer heads have got to start to prevail and get us back going again.

It’s really demoralizing because I’m a commission based pay guy and I spent years working huge hours to get my numbers up to right at $100K, enough to get a decent car and house and make big payments on my student loans. Even started a 401(k) and college savings fund for my kid.

I don’t think this’ll wipe me out completely but it’s going to put a huge dent in my path to financial independence.

Fortunately I had my car almost paid off and have enough in a rainy day fund to last about 6 months with my mortgage, but almost no one else I know is in this spot so I’m watching people have to cobble along.

GT_EE78

Banned

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
> yup, they warned them about human to human transmission which WHO has denied
Taiwan releases December email to WHO showing unheeded warning about coronavirus
https://www.foxnews.com/world/taiwa...ing-unheeded-warning-to-who-about-coronavirus
> lets not forget Jan 14 a date that will live in infamy
FLASHBACK Jan. 14: WHO Tells Everyone Don’t Worry Because China Says Coronavirus Isn’t Contagious
https://dailycaller.com/2020/03/18/flashback-who-china-coronavirus-contagious/
The Daily Caller is fake news.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
So last week my church (very small, about 50 people on a good Sunday) contacted our sheriff and told him our interpretation of Kemp’s order allowed us to still have an Easter service if we followed the order. We roped off pews and assigned seating more than 6’ apart by family unit and administered communion by family unit.

Two armed sheriff personnel, who I think are civilians deputized for the occasion, supervised. It was surreal. I’m not what I’d consider a huge right winger but damn, I never thought I’d see the day that grown adults worshipping IN COMPLIANCE WITH SAFETY PROTOCOLS would be supervised by armed government officials in this country.

We need to have a serious conversation about what emergencies mean.

I mean, I totally get what you are saying, but it doesn't sound like anybody was in any way trying to infringe upon your actual right to worship -- only to assemble. I assume the deputies were not there making commentary regarding your church's message or to who or how anyone there should be praying. The issue is only about the health and safety of the larger community. There are loads of examples where church services have served as significant breeding grounds for this virus. And it isn't just about those that choose to attend church. Those same people attending your service are probably also going to the grocery store, drug store, pet store, and to other essential services after attending church. That potentially puts others who do not attend your church at greater risk if the proper social distancing measures are not enforced.

I am not saying two armed deputies was necessary, but I do want to be careful making the distinction between "supervising worship" and "supervising assembly."

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
It’s really demoralizing because I’m a commission based pay guy and I spent years working huge hours to get my numbers up to right at $100K, enough to get a decent car and house and make big payments on my student loans. Even started a 401(k) and college savings fund for my kid.

I don’t think this’ll wipe me out completely but it’s going to put a huge dent in my path to financial independence.

Fortunately I had my car almost paid off and have enough in a rainy day fund to last about 6 months with my mortgage, but almost no one else I know is in this spot so I’m watching people have to cobble along.

It would be demoralizing. Sounds like you’ve done great and all the right things. Hang in there.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Personally, the one group whose pay I would like to see eliminated during this pandemic is the press. Make them all work for free. Make them be like the rest of America. Then let's see how many of them continue to chirp about public health or whether a few will being to consider the broader economic ramifications. It sure is easy to sit in an ivory tower where your pay is unaffected and throw stones at others.....

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Personally, the one group whose pay I would like to see eliminated during this pandemic is the press. Make them all work for free. Make them be like the rest of America. Then let's see how many of them continue to chirp about public health or whether a few will being to consider the broader economic ramifications. It sure is easy to sit in an ivory tower where your pay is unaffected and throw stones at others.....

Their pay's not unaffected. Have you seen what's happened to the newspaper industry? If anything, they may make more considering how all of us are eating it all up.

LawyersGunsandMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
I mean, I totally get what you are saying, but it doesn't sound like anybody was in any way trying to infringe upon your actual right to worship -- only to assemble. I assume the deputies were not there making commentary regarding your church's message or to who or how anyone there should be praying. The issue is only about the health and safety of the larger community. There are loads of examples where church services have served as significant breeding grounds for this virus. And it isn't just about those that choose to attend church. Those same people attending your service are probably also going to the grocery store, drug store, pet store, and to other essential services after attending church. That potentially puts others who do not attend your church at greater risk if the proper social distancing measures are not enforced.

I am not saying two armed deputies was necessary, but I do want to be careful making the distinction between "supervising worship" and "supervising assembly."

If they were supervising the Home Depot, which is packed, as well I’d be less chapped. I was at Home Depot and there were dozens of people.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

I don't have much to add to this except that constitutional rights are always conditional on maintaining public order and preventing widespread harm to others. You are right; nobody's worship was being infringed on here, given the present conditions. If we weren't in the middle of a pandemic, such surveillance of a church service would be out of bounds if there wasn't some other really good cause for it. But we are. So it isn't.

I don't have much to add to this except that constitutional rights are always conditional on maintaining public order and preventing widespread harm to others. You are right; nobody's worship was being infringed on here, given the present conditions. If we weren't in the middle of a pandemic, such surveillance of a church service would be out of bounds if there wasn't some other really good cause for it. But we are. So it isn't.
Maybe not in that case, but there was a case in Mississippi, I think, where the police raided a drive-in worship service, blocking cars and leading the pastor of the church away in handcuffs.

Deleted member 2897

Maybe not in that case, but there was a case in Mississippi, I think, where the police raided a drive-in worship service, blocking cars and leading the pastor of the church away in handcuffs.

Multiple pastors have been arrested that I am aware of - Louisiana and Florida are 2 that come to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.