Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Multiple pastors have been arrested that I am aware of - Louisiana and Florida are 2 that come to mind.
And the governor of KY threatened, with perhaps a sheriff actually carrying out, a fine of $500.00 per passenger in cars at a drive-in service, after forbidding that they even occur, something which a federal court put an end to.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
If they were supervising the Home Depot, which is packed, as well I’d be less chapped. I was at Home Depot and there were dozens of people.

The difference is that Home Depot sells physical products deemed to be essential to the public. Other stores that dont, like clothing stores, are closed completely. That doesn’t mean that those essential stores shouldn’t be taking significant social distancing measures themselves, and I have in fact seen places like Publix and Whole Foods trying to do just that. But that is not the same as church service. Just like “nonessential” businesses, churches all around the country have found ways to go to virtual services in an effort to continue their important work, but avoid the complications and health risks of public assembly.

Deleted member 2897

Sweden is now at 35,000 population equivalent deaths. The folks are starting to get more and more restless about their approach. They've shut a lot of stuff down, which is kind of a shame - it feels like they should have stuck to their guns or just shut it down. By taking half measures many weeks after everyone else took those, its death by a 1,000 cuts.

kVfeXP1.png

Deleted member 2897

Anybody seen the cash payments from the IRS yet or unemployment? My wife is a nurse, and saw her hours cut from 40 to 10, so she filed. It was accepted, but she filed on March 30th. So its been in the system for 15 days with no payment yet. Haven't seen anything from the IRS, which the news reported started sending out direct deposits a few days ago.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Maybe not in that case, but there was a case in Mississippi, I think, where the police raided a drive-in worship service, blocking cars and leading the pastor of the church away in handcuffs.
That's a bit extreme, but (if true; I didn't see this story) it would probably still pass constitutional muster in the present situation. Mississippi is playing catch-up here; they were late to social distancing and shelter-in-place. If the governor used his emergency powers to generally forbid all kinds of businesses and organizations, except those delivering "essential services", from operation, there would be no constitutional bar to putting churches in the same boat. Such actions only get dicey when religious organizations are specifically singled out. (See one of my all time favorite religious exercise cases: Church of Lakumi Babalu Aye v. City of Hialeah for how this works.) That Home Depot and the grocery stores are exempt is straightforward enough. Though some people might argue otherwise, you don't suffer all that much for not going to church every Sunday; God, as is well established, listens to everyone's prayers, no matter where or when they are offered. You could get and spread a potentially fatal disease by joining a congregation without the right constraints on your behavior.

That's a bit extreme, but (if true; I didn't see this story) it would probably still pass constitutional muster in the present situation. Mississippi is playing catch-up here; they were late to social distancing and shelter-in-place. If the governor used his emergency powers to generally forbid all kinds of businesses and organizations, except those delivering "essential services", from operation, there would be no constitutional bar to putting churches in the same boat. Such actions only get dicey when religious organizations are specifically singled out. (See one of my all time favorite religious exercise cases: Church of Lakumi Babalu Aye v. City of Hialeah for how this works.) That Home Depot and the grocery stores are exempt is straightforward enough. Though some people might argue otherwise, you don't suffer all that much for not going to church every Sunday; God, as is well established, listens to everyone's prayers, no matter where or when they are offered. You could get and spread a potentially fatal disease by joining a congregation without the right constraints on your behavior.
So why in hell are liquor stores considered essential? Churches are far more essential, at least to worshipers, than liquor stores are ... or pot stores in Colorado? GIVE ME A BREAK !!!

Deleted member 2897

So why in hell are liquor stores considered essential? Churches are far more essential, at least to worshipers, than liquor stores are ... or pot stores in Colorado? GIVE ME A BREAK !!!

The freedom to Assemble it me is the greater point. You can worship by yourself, via FaceTime, etc.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody seen the cash payments from the IRS yet or unemployment? My wife is a nurse, and saw her hours cut from 40 to 10, so she filed. It was accepted, but she filed on March 30th. So its been in the system for 15 days with no payment yet. Haven't seen anything from the IRS, which the news reported started sending out direct deposits a few days ago.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
That's up to the governors. They're responsible to the electorate. What they decide are "essential" businesses is (usually) within their power to decide in an emergency. And I can see their point on this. It is a lot easier for owners to regulate customers in a liquor store then for pastors to manage a congregation at a church service. Again, as long as religious organizations are not being singled out, there isn't any constitutional issue here, so near as I can see.

But you never know what a judge will do in these circumstances. Especially some of the new appointees.

Last edited:
That's up to the governors. They're responsible to the electorate. What they decide are "essential" businesses is (usually) within their power to decide in an emergency. And I can see their point on this. It is a lot easier for owners to regulate customers in a liquor store then for pastors to manage a congregation at a church service. Again, as long as religious organizations are not being singled out, there isn't any constitutional issue here, so near as I can see.

But you never know what a judge will do in these circumstances. Especially some of the new appointees.
I don't have any problem with churches not meeting together, but I do have a problem with drive-in services being banned or disrupted by officials. I just don't see in the overall picture why liquor stores and pot stores should ever be considered essential. I am not a non-drinker, although I only drink beer, if anything. And beer and wine is available in most grocery and convenience stores. Sorry, I just don't buy it that liquor,and more so pot, is essential for anyone.

GT_EE78

Banned
I don't have any problem with churches not meeting together, but I do have a problem with drive-in services being banned or disrupted by officials. I just don't see in the overall picture why liquor stores and pot stores should ever be considered essential. I am not a non-drinker, although I only drink beer, if anything. And beer and wine is available in most grocery and convenience stores. Sorry, I just don't buy it that liquor,and more so pot, is essential for anyone.
DOJ Takes Action In Mississippi Drive-In Church Discrimination Case
The Department of Justice (DOJ) announced it will take action in a religious liberty case involving churches in Greenville, Mississippi, where police officers issued $500 tickets to church members who refused to leave the parking lot for a drive-in Easter church service.
AG BILL BARR: "Government may not impose special restrictions on religious activity that do not also apply to similar nonreligious activity."
https://thefederalist.com/2020/04/1...sissippi-drive-in-church-discrimination-case/

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
When did you apply? I finished mine last Wednesday. Trying to get a feel for how long this should take.
I submitted it on the 3rd and again on the 5th and the 7th and the 8th. It just kept coming back with the need for some change and re-signing and initializing it again. Twice I could use docusign, but twice someone else demanded a real signature and a scan.

I submitted for my other company on the 7th with no requested need for changes and I have not heard anything back from that one.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
I submitted it on the 3rd and again on the 5th and the 7th and the 8th. It just kept coming back with the need for some change and re-signing and initializing it again. Twice I could use docusign, but twice someone else demanded a real signature and a scan.

I submitted for my other company on the 7th with no requested need for changes and I have not heard anything back from that one.

Was your process like this:

Started with my bank sending me a link

the link took to me to Smartbizloans.com, and I filled out everything online, including attaching all supporting documentation.

it then got kicked backed to my bank, and now all they can tell me is that I’m in the queue.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Was your process like this:

Started with my bank sending me a link

the link took to me to Smartbizloans.com, and I filled out everything online, including attaching all supporting documentation.

it then got kicked backed to my bank, and now all they can tell me is that I’m in the queue.

I bank with Synovus and they sent a link to the document in docusign. I filled it out and it automatically went back to the bank the first time. Then I got a new on Sunday because the government had changed the form and I needed to do it again. I guess I would take the lack of feedback two ways. One they are OK with what you sent them and the next one should be an agreement with the SBA. Or they are overwhelmed and have not looked at it yet. Hopefully it is the first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.