Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Today, Mayor Van R. Johnson, II declared a local state of emergency in the City of Savannah that will take effect on Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 8 a.m. This declaration will be in place until April 5, 2020 unless otherwise amended, extended or canceled by the Mayor.

“These are extraordinary times. It is important that we take thoughtful and deliberate measures to protect our citizens, employees and businesses from the large gatherings known to be the breeding ground for COVID-19,” said Mayor Van R. Johnson, II. “While uncomfortable, I believe this is the most responsible course of action.”

Based upon this declaration, all bars and nightclubs that do not serve food will be closed. Restaurants and other eating and drinking establishments must reduce seating capacity by 50 percent for dine-in services. They may also continue to prepare and serve food and drink via delivery, drive-thru and takeout. Cafeterias in hospitals, nursing homes, hospice centers and similar facilities will not be subject to these restrictions and may continue normal operations.

All City of Savannah metered and garage parking will be free for the first hour.

All gyms, fitness centers, movie theaters, live performance venues, bowling alleys and arcades will be closed. All sightseeing, guided and/or narrated tours must stop operations.

Funerals with more than 10 mourners are encouraged to conduct graveside services only or to postpone to a future date.

The emergency declaration also allows the City Manager to activate emergency operations plans. City employees will soon begin teleworking remotely from home as directed by the City Manager.

GT_EE78

Banned
South Carolina employee lied about having coronavirus that shut down company
>probably a Clemson fan
> i think there's one of our members can worry a bit less now
SPARTANBURG COUNTY, SC (WSPA) – A man is facing charges after falsely claiming to have coronavirus, which led to the shutdown of a company in Spartanburg.A SITEL employee falsely claimed he had COVID-19, causing the company to shut down for 5 days, according to Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright.“Seems to me like the fellow just wanted a two week paid vacation,” Sheriff Chuck Wright said during a press conference Thursday.
https://www.wowktv.com/news/u-s-wor...Y6PTaBiUrZ0gY1PB0xeO2MIG3JkPruu0asQ404QzCrmfA

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Tybee Closes Beaches and Bans Open Alcohol Consumption

To ensure everyone’s safety, the City of Tybee Island has moved to close its beaches and ban the open consumption of alcohol city wide. These restrictions will take effect Friday, March 20, at 10:00 AM.

While there have been no identified COVID-19 cases on Tybee Island, this latest move ensures that CDC-recommended precautions such as social distancing and limited gatherings are being followed. In addition, it will help a limited city work force maintain order and cleanliness. City Hall remains closed through the end of the week and the majority of city employees continue to work remotely.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
Today, Mayor Van R. Johnson, II declared a local state of emergency in the City of Savannah that will take effect on Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 8 a.m. This declaration will be in place until April 5, 2020 unless otherwise amended, extended or canceled by the Mayor.

“These are extraordinary times. It is important that we take thoughtful and deliberate measures to protect our citizens, employees and businesses from the large gatherings known to be the breeding ground for COVID-19,” said Mayor Van R. Johnson, II. “While uncomfortable, I believe this is the most responsible course of action.”

Based upon this declaration, all bars and nightclubs that do not serve food will be closed. Restaurants and other eating and drinking establishments must reduce seating capacity by 50 percent for dine-in services. They may also continue to prepare and serve food and drink via delivery, drive-thru and takeout. Cafeterias in hospitals, nursing homes, hospice centers and similar facilities will not be subject to these restrictions and may continue normal operations.

All City of Savannah metered and garage parking will be free for the first hour.

All gyms, fitness centers, movie theaters, live performance venues, bowling alleys and arcades will be closed. All sightseeing, guided and/or narrated tours must stop operations.

Funerals with more than 10 mourners are encouraged to conduct graveside services only or to postpone to a future date.

The emergency declaration also allows the City Manager to activate emergency operations plans. City employees will soon begin teleworking remotely from home as directed by the City Manager.
Hilarious. A state of emergency that goes into effect 1-1/2 days from now. So it's not an emergency now, but will be in 36 hours!

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
90866214_10222682273744310_637077244954542080_n.jpg

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Was planning on going in May let me know how it is by Apirl if I need to change plans

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Coronavirus can remain in air up to 3 hours, on surfaces for days, study finds
Researchers found that the new coronavirus remained "viable in aerosols" — infectious in air — for three hours, the duration of the experiment. The virus also persisted on plastic and stainless steel for up to three days and on cardboard for about 24 hours. The virus remained on copper for up to four hours.
The researchers found that the new coronavirus and SARS behaved very similarly in the five environmental conditions, "which unfortunately fails to explain why COVID-19 has become a much larger outbreak," a National Institutes of Health press release about the study reads.

The reason the COVID-19 pandemic has been much larger than the SARS outbreak could be that people with the new coronavirus may be "spreading virus without recognizing, or prior to recognizing, symptoms," NIH scientists said.

"This would make disease control measures that were effective against [SARS] less effective against its successor," the NIH stated.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
> I'm not ready to buy into this chinese data yet but i hope it's true.
New study says 'high temperature and high relative humidity significantly reduce' spread of COVID-19
https://www.accuweather.com/en/heal...ignificantly-reduce-spread-of-covid-19/703418
Here's a good post on this:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/flu-comes-back-every-year-will-coronavirus/

I usually go to 538 for data-driven political news, but they've been doing a good job on COVID-19 recently. Short 538: The virus might slow down if a whole lot of things we really don't know diddly about work out right. Viruses usually have a harder time in hot weather and we can hope this one does too, but a) it's brand new and b) viruses don't go away; they go underground.

The Imperial College study I cited here earlier predicts that, if we "flatten the curve" now, we can reduce deaths, but we can probably expect a new resurgence in early October. Just in time to cancel football season, iow. Oh, joy.

GT_EE78

Banned
Here's a good post on this:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/flu-comes-back-every-year-will-coronavirus/

I usually go to 538 for data-driven political news, but they've been doing a good job on COVID-19 recently. Short 538: The virus might slow down if a whole lot of things we really don't know diddly about work out right. Viruses usually have a harder time in hot weather and we can hope this one does too, but a) it's brand new and b) viruses don't go away; they go underground.

The Imperial College study I cited here earlier predicts that, if we "flatten the curve" now, we can reduce deaths, but we can probably expect a new resurgence in early October. Just in time to cancel football season, iow. Oh, joy.
at least if it's knocked down over the summer, that will buy time for development of anti-virals and mask production.

Status
Not open for further replies.