Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you guys and ladies won't mind me venting for a minute, but I have to get something off my chest asap, and I think it's non-partisan, so there should be no objections there. This is something that I just experienced that not only ticked me off but literally left me speechless. I just got back from a trip to the gym. They have several rows of "machines" (treadmills, elipticals, and stationary bikes), so the gym managers wisely put signs on every other machine in a given row, asking patrons to distance themselves from others using those machines. Unbelievable, I heard that some people were taking the signs off and using the machine anyway. So then, while I was there, they started taping the signs onto the machines and actually turning off those particular machines. All very smart moves in my book. Mind you, at a time of day when there are usually 20 to 30 people using those particular machines, today there were less than 10 during the time I was there. So that's all good, but as I was leaving and talking to another older lady friend who was there, another lady interrupted us bitching about them turning off the machines. Even though the number of people there prevented this from happening, she complained that if she had wanted to use one of those turned-off machines, for lack of others being available, that would have meant that she would have had to wait, and that was unnecessary and unacceptable. It's all about her, I guess. She also bitched about the schools all closing in Augusta starting tomorrow, saying with, according to her, there were zero cases in Augusta, that was just totally unnecessary. I said as little as possible, deferring to my friend, who tried to tell her that first, there was nobody there at what is usually a very busy time, and second, that conditions can change almost immediately, so that it is better to take precautions. She would just not have any of this. Finally, they both headed in one direction to their cars, and I went in a different direction. She may still be bitching as far as I know. AND, BTW, the woman claimed to be a nurse. WOW !!!
Anyway, if you read this, thanks for letting me vent. I live alone and just HAD to get it off my chest. LOL

herb

Helluva Engineer
I hope you guys and ladies won't mind me venting for a minute, but I have to get something off my chest asap, and I think it's non-partisan, so there should be no objections there. This is something that I just experienced that not only ticked me off but literally left me speechless. I just got back from a trip to the gym. They have several rows of "machines" (treadmills, elipticals, and stationary bikes), so the gym managers wisely put signs on every other machine in a given row, asking patrons to distance themselves from others using those machines. Unbelievable, I heard that some people were taking the signs off and using the machine anyway. So then, while I was there, they started taping the signs onto the machines and actually turning off those particular machines. All very smart moves in my book. Mind you, at a time of day when there are usually 20 to 30 people using those particular machines, today there were less than 10 during the time I was there. So that's all good, but as I was leaving and talking to another older lady friend who was there, another lady interrupted us bitching about them turning off the machines. Even though the number of people there prevented this from happening, she complained that if she had wanted to use one of those turned-off machines, for lack of others being available, that would have meant that she would have had to wait, and that was unnecessary and unacceptable. It's all about her, I guess. She also bitched about the schools all closing in Augusta starting tomorrow, saying with, according to her, there were zero cases in Augusta, that was just totally unnecessary. I said as little as possible, deferring to my friend, who tried to tell her that first, there was nobody there at what is usually a very busy time, and second, that conditions can change almost immediately, so that it is better to take precautions. She would just not have any of this. Finally, they both headed in one direction to their cars, and I went in a different direction. She may still be bitching as far as I know. AND, BTW, the woman claimed to be a nurse. WOW !!!
Anyway, if you read this, thanks for letting me vent. I live alone and just HAD to get it off my chest. LOL

She spoke too soon as there are at least two cases in Augusta now, perhaps several more.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
His recommendation to restrict gatherings to 10 people is much more strict than the guidance this morning that the CDC released of 50 people.
This is the latest guidance from CDC, effective 3:15pm today. Definitely an ever-evolving process.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I would avoid the gyms right now FULL STOP. The amount of people breathing into the air, and sweat being left behind on machines and equipment....no thanks. That's just asking to get sick.

Super, I would highly recommend you going for long walks at the park or working out at home until all of this is over. Stay away from gyms...those are just petri dishes ripe for a virus like this.

I would avoid the gyms right now FULL STOP. The amount of people breathing into the air, and sweat being left behind on machines and equipment....no thanks. That's just asking to get sick.

Super, I would highly recommend you going for long walks at the park or working out at home until all of this is over. Stay away from gyms...those are just petri dishes ripe for a virus like this.
I understand what you are saying, but the fact that there were at most 20 people in the entire building, and less than 10 on the machines, plus the fact that I wipe down the surface areas that I will touch, as well as after I finish give me some measure of assurance .... for now. They have limited their operating hours, and they may end up actually closing the place. Not that it necessarily matters, but the gym I go to is run by the Salvation Army.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Why are the ventilators so expensive? The answer to that is what causes damn near every single issue.

They're the modern day "iron lungs" of the 1940s & 1950s polio era. Not everybody caught polio, but when you did & it got bad enough you couldn't breathe let alone walk, you needed an iron lung.

Anyone else remember collecting dimes to donate to the March of Dimes?

albanyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember in the late 50's the iron lung trucks would park downtown. you could go in and see a real person in the iron lung. scared the crap out of me.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I haven't read all sixty pages of this thread, so I don't know whether this has been mentioned or not, but...

In the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic, one treatment for it that had some success was to take blood from someone who had recovered from the flu and give it to someone who was seriously ill. The blood had antibodies in it and was a sort of vaccination. It was also given to people who had not contracted the flu and was fairly successful in preventing them from getting it, or at least from getting as seriously ill from it. The data from a hundred years ago is probably largely anecdotal, but it has been analyzed and found to prove that the treatment was somewhat successful.

It went out of style with modern vaccinations but some wonder if it could be resurrected in this case since there is no vaccination as yet. The science seems quite sound. It works on the same principle as vaccination.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I understand what you are saying, but the fact that there were at most 20 people in the entire building, and less than 10 on the machines, plus the fact that I wipe down the surface areas that I will touch, as well as after I finish give me some measure of assurance .... for now. They have limited their operating hours, and they may end up actually closing the place. Not that it necessarily matters, but the gym I go to is run by the Salvation Army.

No, it doesn't matter and the virus can be floating in the air. You'll stay away from the gym if you know what's good for you.

No, it doesn't matter and the virus can be floating in the air. You'll stay away from the gym if you know what's good for you.
The virus can be floating in the air at every enclosed place I might go to. I'm sure there is far more danger at Kroger or Walgreens than there is at the gym. I am not saying the gym is safe, but nobody can stay inside or be in wide open spaces 24-7

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The virus can be floating in the air at every enclosed place I might go to. I'm sure there is far more danger at Kroger or Walgreens than there is at the gym. I am not saying the gym is safe, but nobody can stay inside or be in wide open spaces 24-7

Uh huh. But you sort of have to go to the store now and then to get food and you don't have to go to the gym. And hot, sweaty, grunting people give off a lot more bodily fluids than people at the Kroger. So stay away from the gym. It's a word to the wise.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

prayer.gif

Uh huh. But you sort of have to go to the store now and then to get food and you don't have to go to the gym. And hot, sweaty, grunting people give off a lot more bodily fluids than people at the Kroger. So stay away from the gym. It's a word to the wise.
I have not seen any "hot, sweaty, grunting people" on the treadmills. In the weight room, yes, but I don't go there. And, like I said, there were at best 20 people in the entire place today, and only 10 using the machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.