Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2897

Regardless of your political thoughts on Cuomo, he's been ahead of the curve in terms of the containment process. Other cities need to look at what he's doing.

It appears to me they are much worse off up there. We’ve had drive through testing here for weeks. I have no idea why he’s so far behind on everything. Other mayors and governors are instituting things like this way before their numbers look like his.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It appears to me they are much worse off up there. We’ve had drive through testing here for weeks. I have no idea why he’s so far behind on everything. Other mayors and governors are instituting things like this way before their numbers look like his.
Do you have more information on this? As of 3 days ago only 7 states had implemented drive through testing (https://www.businessinsider.com/drive-through-coronavirus-tests-states-2020-3). SC wasn't one of them. SC has opened two drive through facilities since then though, as have many other states. It should ramp up nearly everywhere this week. I can't find any evidence that any state has been doing it for weeks. Two weeks ago we were only doing 500 tests a day in the entire country.

GT_EE78

Banned
Regardless of your political thoughts on Cuomo, he's been ahead of the curve in terms of the containment process. Other cities need to look at what he's doing.

Can't think of anything i've ever agreed with him about policy wise, but i liked the way he used Nat Guard in Westchester County, to sanitize public spaces, enforce no large group events and deliver food and TP to those self-quarantined.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Well we have our first death in SC today. Elderly lady in a nursing home. That is scary that someone brought it to her and could be another Seattle case all over.

Deleted member 2897

Do you have more information on this? As of 3 days ago only 7 states had implemented drive through testing (https://www.businessinsider.com/drive-through-coronavirus-tests-states-2020-3). SC wasn't one of them. SC has opened two drive through facilities since then though, as have many other states. It should ramp up nearly everywhere this week. I can't find any evidence that any state has been doing it for weeks. Two weeks ago we were only doing 500 tests a day in the entire country.

I know what you're implying, and I would have thought you would have learned by now. Oh well. Yes we do have drive through testing, and yes we do this without involvement by the CDC. Google is your friend. And I have pictures I can show you! :D

If you go here:
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...s-according-state-health-departments-n1158041
You can look up each state's approach. I looked up SC and it says results are in within 24 hours of getting a test.
It says testing is done by SC DHEC in conjunction with 2 private labs. CDC is not involved. They probably were involved up to a certain point and may still be able to do tests in addition to SC.

If you go here:
https://web.musc.edu/about/news-center/2020/03/12/covid-19-drive-thru
It even shows aerial maps of the drive-through set up they have in the parking lot outside of one of the hospitals.

We went to a statewide free virtual system for testings (think of it like pre-screenings) 10 days ago, probably due to volume of requests.

Here is that website where you get started if you want to look at it:
https://campaigns.muschealth.org/virtual-care/index.html

As of yesterday, these labs have completed and reported back 265 test results to DHEC. They do not track any tests that haven't sent results in, nor tests that the CDC conducts. You can track this if you want to in South Carolina:
https://scdhec.gov/infectious-disea...ase-2019-covid-19/monitoring-testing-covid-19

I have tried to find their capacity, which has been stated as "hundreds of tests per day", but I cannot find that yet in print or in TV interviews on YouTube. We are not at capacity, have no delays, and no backlog. As of now.

I am struggling to find any exact dates when we went live with our own tests where we no longer had to wait on the CDC if we didn't want to, but from these articles and others it implies 10-14 days ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well we have our first death in SC today. Elderly lady in a nursing home. That is scary that someone brought it to her and could be another Seattle case all over.

That's the thing. The person who had it probably didn't even know they had/have it. Even though you're not showing symptoms, you're still part of the infection chain. That's why governments are closing down large gatherings everywhere, and cities are limiting restaurant and bars. People who keep saying "well, if you're healthy, keep doing what you're doing"...well, that's just stupid because if you have it and don't know about it, you're just accelerating and spreading the infection rate. THAT is precisely why they are emphasizing staying home and only going out for necessities.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
That's the thing. The person who had it probably didn't even know they had/have it. Even though you're not showing symptoms, you're still part of the infection chain. That's why governments are closing down large gatherings everywhere, and cities are limiting restaurant and bars. People who keep saying "well, if you're healthy, keep doing what you're doing"...well, that's just stupid because if you have it and don't know about it, you're just accelerating and spreading the infection rate. THAT is precisely why they are emphasizing staying home and only going out for necessities.

While I agree that "keep doing what you're doing" isn't a good attitude. It isn't verified that non-symptomatic people can spread the virus. It was reported several weeks ago that people in China were, but it hasn't been verified that I have seen. From the CDC website:
Can someone spread the virus without being sick?
  • People are thought to be most contagious when they are most symptomatic (the sickest).
  • Some spread might be possible before people show symptoms; there have been reports of this occurring with this new coronavirus, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.
Can a non-symptomatic person spread the virus? Possibly, but at least according to the CDC that isn't what is going on.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Things are getting bad above the gnat line when The Varsity closes their dining room. Pick-up only for your FO & rings.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
While I agree that "keep doing what you're doing" isn't a good attitude. It isn't verified that non-symptomatic people can spread the virus. It was reported several weeks ago that people in China were, but it hasn't been verified that I have seen. From the CDC website:
Can a non-symptomatic person spread the virus? Possibly, but at least according to the CDC that isn't what is going on.

I'm interpreting it differently. The way it reads to me is people showing symptoms are likely to be more highly infectious than non-symptomatic people. However, non symptomatic people are still able to infect others:

Some spread might be possible before people show symptoms; there have been reports of this occurring with this new coronavirus, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.

Bottom line, opt out of the chain by staying home as much as you can.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/ar...ch-woman-with-no-symptoms-infects-five-people

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I'm interpreting it differently. The way it reads to me is people showing symptoms are likely to be more highly infectious than non-symptomatic people. However, non symptomatic people are still able to infect others:

Some spread might be possible before people show symptoms; there have been reports of this occurring with this new coronavirus, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads.

Bottom line, opt out of the chain by staying home as much as you can.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/ar...ch-woman-with-no-symptoms-infects-five-people

From that story it describes a case from late January in which a supposedly asymptomatic person spread the virus. According to the article you linked:
However, it transpired that the woman had, in fact, experienced mild symptoms, including muscle pain and fatigue. The authors had not managed to speak directly with the woman before the material was released.
Regarding this case of supposed asymptomatic transmission, the article you linked states:
“I think peer review is lighter in the middle of an epidemic than it is at normal speed, and also the quality of the data going into the papers is necessarily more uncertain.”

Overall, the current case study is compelling, but further research is needed.

Headlines many times don't match the actual text of the articles. Also, as this article states, quality of data going into papers and into articles is light on peer review and low on quality.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
From that story it describes a case from late January in which a supposedly asymptomatic person spread the virus. According to the article you linked:
Regarding this case of supposed asymptomatic transmission, the article you linked states:

Headlines many times don't match the actual text of the articles. Also, as this article states, quality of data going into papers and into articles is light on peer review and low on quality.

Again, we are interpreting what we are reading differently. There are caveats in that article, but caveats are in all medical articles. It's pretty evident that the woman was the only link to the 5 people who caught the virus, and all 5 are 400 miles away from outbreak...again, the woman being the link between 400 miles and the 5 people that got infected.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
@stech81, other options.
Screenshot_20200316-142740.png

Status
Not open for further replies.