Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Would be interesting to see how much money a legit box office hit would make from direct to home streamings with the quarantines going on:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Would be interesting to see how much money a legit box office hit would make from direct to home streamings with the quarantines going on:

I'm surprised movie theaters weren't becoming a thing of the past even before this. I don't know anything about the industry, but I was amazed when our local theater expanded and renovated a few years back. You go there and it's mostly empty. I don't see how they're making any money.

It will be interesting to see how many societal norms are altered by this thing. Folks might find out they like doing some things differently (like ordering out instead of eating out). Or we may flock back to the same habits. I'm hoping people are rediscovering recreation and the great outdoors. I notice there's been a big uptick in people walking and biking in my neighborhood.

Deleted member 2897

TSA line at atlanta airport yesterday

giphy.gif

Deleted member 2897

Your daily US-population equivalent cases in other countries of note:

Italy: 325,000
Iceland: 315,000
Switzerland: 275,000
Spain: 210,000
Norway: 150,000
Netherlands: 85,000
Sweden: 70,000

I'm surprised movie theaters weren't becoming a thing of the past even before this. I don't know anything about the industry, but I was amazed when our local theater expanded and renovated a few years back. You go there and it's mostly empty. I don't see how they're making any money.

It will be interesting to see how many societal norms are altered by this thing. Folks might find out they like doing some things differently (like ordering out instead of eating out). Or we may flock back to the same habits. I'm hoping people are rediscovering recreation and the great outdoors. I notice there's been a big uptick in people walking and biking in my neighborhood.
I'm not sure how many people have even given this any thought, but as long as this crisis goes on, it is very unlikely that any new movies or TV shows will even be made in the near future. So our only options will be viewing reruns of old TV shows and old sporting events and watching old movies on cable, BluRay, or streams ....or getting a life.

Deleted member 2897

Just read a report that the current bill being bantered about is $3k per family and $4T from the Fed in liquidity. This will be $8 Trillion in printed money we’ve injected into the system in the last 9 months. Incredible the dollar has much of any value.

I will happily deposit my check, but I don’t understand why it’s not much smaller and we don’t beef up unemployment benefits instead. Some people are making good money right now. We should focus the most on the people who need it most. I think we should have done an income-adjusted unemployment boost, so that people making say less than $100k would get something like 80% of their normal pay for this month. And renew every month until we start to come out of this.

Deleted member 2897

The only Senator who voted against the $8B Coronavirus aid package just tested positive.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just read a report that the current bill being bantered about is $3k per family and $4T from the Fed in liquidity. This will be $8 Trillion in printed money we’ve injected into the system in the last 9 months. Incredible the dollar has much of any value.

I will happily deposit my check, but I don’t understand why it’s not much smaller and we don’t beef up unemployment benefits instead. Some people are making good money right now. We should focus the most on the people who need it most. I think we should have done an income-adjusted unemployment boost, so that people making say less than $100k would get something like 80% of their normal pay for this month. And renew every month until we start to come out of this.

I thought folks making above a certain amount would not get money. Based on what I've seen, I know I wouldn't qualify, which is very appropriate. If I did receive money, honestly, I'd start giving it to affected friends or donate it to worthy causes.

I thought folks making above a certain amount would not get money. Based on what I've seen, I know I wouldn't qualify, which is very appropriate. If I did receive money, honestly, I'd start giving it to affected friends or donate it to worthy causes.
Supposedly only individuals with an income of less than $75K per year will receive the money.

Deleted member 2897

Individual. Couples up to $150k. Then it ramps down to zero at $90k per person. At least that was the proposal a few days ago.

No offense to anybody, but a family with stable jobs making $100k or whatever - they don’t need money like a family that used to make the same but are both now laid off.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

The Families First Coronavirus Response Act signed into law March 18th specifically deals with these issues. I posted a link to a PDF our CPA sent out which summarizes this act in laymen's terms.
https://hancockaskew.com/wp-content...s_First_Coronavirus_Response_Act-Overview.pdf

The only problem is it doesn't go into effect until April 2nd and does not appear to be retroactive.

As far as state unemployment, Georgia has a link where employers who are forced to do layoffs and furloughs will file for the employees. This is supposed to make claim processing quicker.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
No offense to anybody, but a family with stable jobs making $100k or whatever - they don’t need money like a family that used to make the same but are both now laid off.

What I read this morning is that the compromise they are working on includes both direct payments and increased unemployment benefits.

As an unmarried pensioner making a little under $75K, I frankly don't need it either. It would of course be nice to have, but I would rather they give it to someone who actually needs it, or to charity.

Status
Not open for further replies.