Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I’m now leaving work and I believe we’ve finally breached the hysteria phase.

a. The virus is here
b. We’ve suspended travel from high risk places
c. College went to distance learning then local schools shutdown
d. Bars and restaurants are shuttering
e. There’s no meat, toilet paper, etc to buy
f. The stock market crashed
g. Medical supplies are low and hospitals are getting overwhelmed
h. Sports got cancelled
i. Sure I missed something else major

We are now transitioning to the F it phase. There’s nothing more they can do to us that matters.

There’s a weird calm here now. The pie holes have tired of yammering and the crisis is no longer unique. The balance is about to tip in our favor.

All that's left is for you to take your rightful place as leader of this moribund group.

I'll step in as your steady 2nd in command ... 'til an accident befalls you ... mysteriously, then I'll take your place. Don't worry, I'll build a statue in your honor. :pompous:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
This is all bull****. The only people that need to be quarantined are old people and vulnerable people. Stop messing with the American way of life. “But you may have it with no symptoms and pass it to the vulnerable!” No, not if THEY are quarantined. This is a global sham, we’ve all been had. “But death totals are spiraling!” “The body count is PILING UP!” I don’t see any of these athletes or actors dying or feeling any more ill than a cold. Are there not famous people in Italy?

Get a grip. Once I get it I’ll quarantine myself but until then it’s business as usual. I’ll punch corona in the face.

Triggered crowd incoming in 3, 2, and 1...
And it's people like you that will spread it, Stay up north.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Back to @Supersizethatorder-mutt 's original post. You mostly have ventilators in the ICU's, and in a few other places for emergency medicine. (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ventilator). The ICUs have so much space and equipment for so many beds. The ICUs, like everything else in the hospital, are funded (indirectly) by health insurers, who want to minimize their costs. There aren't a ton of government bucks funding more hospital capacity, unless you're thinking of Medicare or Tricare, which aren't throwing money around for building sprees. So ICUs are funded for normal times, as is everything else in the hospital.
These times aren't normal.
If you want more ventilators, you either get bigger ICUs, or maybe you set up emergency ICU space from other space in the hospital--but hospitals don't have a ton of other space, and it's not easy to make that kind of space.
Also, ICUs are fairly full most of the time from other causes, like people who have had heart attacks.
As for the CDC being the culprit here: the CDC isn't a heavily-funded agency. The people I know there do incredible work because they're committed, but they don't get a lot of funding or support to do it. They scrape by. I don't know why you think the CDC or the NHS has authority to make hospitals build bigger ICUs or buy more ventilators in normal times. Maybe they get that authority now, but the horse is already out of the barn.
Well said. We've been short changing our basic lines of defense for something like COVID-19 for years. The CDC is easy to cut; the doctors and researchers can't fight back too hard (Hatch Act) and they're there to help us mainly in crises situations that by definition don't often show up. Also, the concentration of the hospital industry has meant that in-patient care (beds, rural hospitals) and medical personnel have been reduced as the corporations try to reduce costs and increase profits. Maybe we'll learn this time.

There are two sources that could provide additional space and facilities. First, there's the VA hospital system. This isn't just the major hospitals but also about 1300 clinics around the country. And the VA's 330K employees. The system has already been designated as the national public health backup system and has been stocking up since January in anticipation. Then there are hotels. They have the cleaning and food service facilities to provide care for less serious cases, relieving pressure on hospitals somewhat. And, Lord knows, they have room these days. Here, however, the need for trained personnel could make their contribution less useful. On personnel, there's the nations nursing schools. I anticipate that as the number of cases goes up, nursing schools will be putting everybody past their first year out there to take up positions. There are over 363K students in the schools now and I expect 50% of them could take up minor duties in hospitals if push came to shove. Doctors are another story, but physicians assistants (~150K/2) could be rushed into place as well. That's another 250K medical personnel; poorly trained but at least there.

I found all this on the nets by doing simple Google searches. But if we keep to the NPIs effectively, we might not have to go to anything but using the VA. That, I think, is going to happen and soon.

Deleted member 2897

Well said. We've been short changing our basic lines of defense for something like COVID-19 for years. The CDC is easy to cut; the doctors and researchers can't fight back too hard (Hatch Act) and they're there to help us mainly in crises situations that by definition don't often show up. Also, the concentration of the hospital industry has meant that in-patient care (beds, rural hospitals) and medical personnel have been reduced as the corporations try to reduce costs and increase profits. Maybe we'll learn this time.

There are two sources that could provide additional space and facilities. First, there's the VA hospital system. This isn't just the major hospitals but also about 1300 clinics around the country. And the VA's 330K employees. The system has already been designated as the national public health backup system and has been stocking up since January in anticipation. Then there are hotels. They have the cleaning and food service facilities to provide care for less serious cases, relieving pressure on hospitals somewhat. And, Lord knows, they have room these days. Here, however, the need for trained personnel could make their contribution less useful. On personnel, there's the nations nursing schools. I anticipate that as the number of cases goes up, nursing schools will be putting everybody past their first year out there to take up positions. There are over 363K students in the schools now and I expect 50% of them could take up minor duties in hospitals if push came to shove. Doctors are another story, but physicians assistants (~150K/2) could be rushed into place as well. That's another 250K medical personnel; poorly trained but at least there.

I found all this on the nets by doing simple Google searches. But if we keep to the NPIs effectively, we might not have to go to anything but using the VA. That, I think, is going to happen and soon.

Part of the reason the CDC and NIH are short changed is because of how they **** away all our money - it’s their deliberate choices. The amount of garbage they spend money on is obscene. Then when they “have 1 job”, they fail, because they’ve been focused on so many other irrelevant things.

GT_EE78

Banned
This is all bull****. The only people that need to be quarantined are old people and vulnerable people. Stop messing with the American way of life. “But you may have it with no symptoms and pass it to the vulnerable!” No, not if THEY are quarantined. This is a global sham, we’ve all been had. “But death totals are spiraling!” “The body count is PILING UP!” I don’t see any of these athletes or actors dying or feeling any more ill than a cold. Are there not famous people in Italy?

Get a grip. Once I get it I’ll quarantine myself but until then it’s business as usual. I’ll punch corona in the face.

Triggered crowd incoming in 3, 2, and 1...
roll your on,have a beer and listen to this

GT_EE78

Banned
upload_2020-3-17_19-15-6.jpeg

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Gov McMasters (SC) said today that he is tasking the hospitals to start tapping into the medical students & have them come help where needed.

herb

Helluva Engineer
If I need to move this to the political thread, I will, but we’re starting to see what looks like groundswell for government subsidies to get through this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...-unlikely-pandemic-plea-subsidize-everything/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t know how the country would get through it without. Look at the savings rate. The vast percentage live paycheck to paycheck with no safety net. Without it, and in conjunction with a mandatory closing of so many businesses, the bankruptcy courts would be the next institution overwhelmed

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Chicago-Midway shut down because of COVID-19 positive technicians in the control tower:

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loc...test-positive-for-covid-19-officials/2238822/

The tower is closed, probably until Friday. For now, they’re 1-in-1-out, like a regional airport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In the long run, I dont have a problem with it, but it sure seems like it is too soon. Today is what day 2 of seriously starting to shut down the country. How often do we plan on doing this?

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
> I heard two TV interviews last night that said anti-malaria drugs were working well and that clinical trials have started. i'd bet the pharmaseuticles would be irritated as they are already generic, low cost and widely available. The linked article includes the malaria drugs along with some anti-virals that are being used .. hopefully a recommended treatment is on the table soon.
https://justthenews.com/politics-po...ls-past-viral-outbreaks-may-effectively-treat
Anti malaria drugs will also mess you up. One reason the army quit issuing them out. And they normally don’t care how much drugs they pump into you and they still stopped issuing them

Deleted member 2897

4,600 cases in the US yesterday to 5,900 today...on top of the testing limitation caveat. Damn. Italy 31,000....that’s equivalent to 170,000 in our population. I has a sad for the world.

This didn’t age well. 6,400 now. 4,600 to 6,400 in a single day

Status
Not open for further replies.