Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I had a typo. I meant to say when they sent their kids back to school, their numbers were light years worse than ours were at the time.

Which is absolutely irrelevant. Everybody knows it hit there before it hit here.

I don't see where we have much choice now but to open the schools. Too bad we have to do it under these circumstances, with the thing in full rage.

Deleted member 2897

Which is absolutely irrelevant. Everybody knows it hit there before it hit here.

I don't see where we have much choice now but to open the schools. Too bad we have to do it under these circumstances, with the thing in full rage.

We don’t have any other choice than to follow science? Sounds good to me. We never had the hell they had, and we know a lot more about the disease than they knew back then. Onward and upwards.

The time lag argument you just made by the way is what is irrelevant. The time lag was a few weeks. They sent their kids back to school in May and June LOL. Not March.

Deleted member 2897

WHO reversed itself on airborne transmission again. I think this is the third time LOL. At least this time they finally admitted they don’t know, but there is evidence to support it.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We don’t have any other choice than to follow science?
We don't have any choice because we can't keep the schools closed forever, but it would be nice if we could have opened them with the virus under much more control than it is now.

I find it difficult to carry on a conversation with someone who pointedly does not seem to understand what I'm saying. I'll let you have the last word, because if I don't this conversation will last until the implosion of the universe.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I'll let you have the last word, because if I don't this conversation will last until the implosion of the universe.

Maybe that won't even end it. There is debate among cosmologists as to whether the universe will implode, rip apart, or freeze.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Most of Europe does not have remotely near the infection rate of the U.S.
Also, every country that has opened schools also had a PLAN. So far in this country the plan has been “Let her rip!”

We have come up with national plans in the past with wide scale acceptance, whether during the Great Depression, WW II or with polio. But now some seem to think even suggesting a plan unnecessarily inhibits personal freedom.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Our infection rates are minuscule. They are only higher than they used to be is all.
Minuscule compared to what country?

United States, Brazil and India are the leaders of the pack if you want to compare countries. So not minuscule. We are doing the worst. Not the greatest, best, awesome or any other BS someone wants to throw out.

Florida, Texas and Arizona are about to see a bunch of deaths from the increased infections they had from the last couple weeks. My best friend is 90% sure he has it(results are taking awhile because they are so backed up) a co-worker just tested positive and aanother co-workers Aunt just died. So it’s definitely been coming a lot closer to me as of late.

and I don’t even live in a populous place. We just get people coming here from everywhere in the US

Last edited:

TechPreacher

Banned
Infection rate doesn't matter. Death rate is dropping. Hospitals are at 90%, but that is where they want to be. They are running a business, after all. And that 90% is the standard capacity, not the surge capacity. All hospitals have the ability to expand ICU if needed. The reason why they are full is because they are allowing elective surgeries again. We are not in danger of over capacity.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Infection rate doesn't matter. Death rate is dropping. Hospitals are at 90%, but that is where they want to be. They are running a business, after all. And that 90% is the standard capacity, not the surge capacity. All hospitals have the ability to expand ICU if needed. The reason why they are full is because they are allowing elective surgeries again. We are not in danger of over capacity.
Some may be now at 90% capacity but the low margin end of their business. The C19 subsidy helps by plussing them up 30% for everyone identified as positive, but the hospital’s real money is in face lifts, boob jobs, Botox, gastric bypass, fertility related care, etc. Cardiac surgery is #2 I think in profit margin, but the huge money’s in elective surgery not ER/flu stuff.

Also capacity is a funny term. It’s not what many think it is. Hospitals have the capability for example of having 120 ICU beds, but only have 30. Their capacity is 30, not 120. The can expand 3x to get to 120, but until they do their capacity is still 30. Again, above thy don’t want to because it drives their profit margin down. It’s a business after all.

Deleted member 2897

Also, every country that has opened schools also had a PLAN. So far in this country the plan has been “Let her rip!”

We have come up with national plans in the past with wide scale acceptance, whether during the Great Depression, WW II or with polio. But now some seem to think even suggesting a plan unnecessarily inhibits personal freedom.

False.

Deleted member 2897

Yet you started the insults......

No I didn’t. I called the statements vomit and inflammatory. They are. You are a virulent anti-Christian guy...which is fine you are welcome to your opinions, but we don’t need that to ruin this thread. We’ve been down rat holes before on the subject, so I was trying to stop it before it started again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 2897

Minuscule compared to what country?

Not sure what this means. I didn’t say compared to any country, I said minuscule period. 70 million got the swine flu. 99%+ of our country is free of COVID-19...that means we have the vast vast majority of our people to still get it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We don't have any choice because we can't keep the schools closed forever, but it would be nice if we could have opened them with the virus under much more control than it is now.

You have to wonder how many teachers are willing to go back to school? How many teachers will get sick and have to be out weeks at a time (if they're lucky)? How many teachers or support staff (admins, teachers helpers, cafeteria staff, janitors, etc.) will be out due to catching Covid. Also, school will come at a time when Flu is at its height, so now you're fighting Covid and Flu.

What's the point of having kids go to school if there's no one there to teach and support them? Also, I don't know if people remember, but a quarter to a third of people teaching and working at schools are usually in the age range of high risk of hospitalization from Covid. If you're a 40-60 year old part time substitute teacher or cafeteria worker, is it worth going to school and catching Covid without health benefits? If you're a 40-60 year old FULL time staff member or teacher is it worth going to school even if you have full benefits?

My friend's wife is an Atlanta public school teacher and she is freaking out at the prospect of having to go back to school. They have a 4 year old, but the bigger issue is their parents help out with their daughter, and come over often to spend time with each other. All that stops for their parents once school starts because now my friend's wife will have pierced the bubble of quarantine they had so they can have their elderly parents over.

I think the debate about starting schools and sports is showing the spiderweb of affects Covid has on any given scenario. It's not as easy as "OK, let start up X".

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Hopefully this is an anomaly, but given deaths trail infections and hospitalizations by 2-4 weeks, this is not going in the right direction. The "but the deaths rate is still low" crowd may want to close their eyes in the coming weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.