Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
It's also important to note that despite governor Jeanshorts refusal to act in a timely manner, Miami, Tampa, and Jacksonville all took extremely quick action to implement social distancing. That largely arrested the spread before it got to the nursing home belt and gave those communities time and space to take their own mitigation measures.

But don't kid yourself about nursing home mitigation, it's not a mystery and it's not pretty. We know what protection requires because we've dealt with infectious disease outbreaks before. You need isolation wards, lots of manpower, lots of PPE, lots of sanitization, and a ISYE's wet dream of fanatical devotion to procedure and human motion.

This is just engineering- we know the physics and the mathematics. The dark part is that we know that no one will actually implement effective protection in nursing homes because there's not enough people, money, or equipment.

Unfortunately we stopped listening to the engineers in this country and started listening to accountants and business majors sometime in the 80's. Listening to DeSantis speculate on handing janitors masks and gloves in nursing homes is eerily similar to how Boeing executives talked about building a 737 that's inherently unstable and hey software can probably make that ok, right?

No failure analysis, no quantification of risk, just "well I don't want to do what works so I'll just do what I want instead and it'll work out."

We better do all we can to stop CoVID from spreading to Orlando, Palm Beach, and Naples significantly, because if we don't there's gonna be a lot of dead retirees.

Also, re Liberty:

I am shocked, absolutely shocked that Jerry Falwell Jr is enriching himself at the expense of Liberty students and then lying about it. It's not like that's the school's model or anything.
My goodness, to call out DeSantis without condemning Cuomo is ridiculous. Cuomo sent Covid patients into nursing homes, denied them the right to test them (for fear they would be discriminated against), or refuse them....and you don’t mention that as alikely major contributor to the problems in NY?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yes, since I made my post, I have become aware that Falwell Jr, in an interview I saw with him, was very misleading.

I didn't see the interview, so I can't remark on what he actually said.

He has been in political discussion battles with some liberal groups. The NYT ran an article in late March or early April about students who were sent to a local hospital for flu like symptoms after returning to campus. He fought back pretty hard about that article.(figuratively no violence involved) His statements then were along the lines of no student "tested on campus" was positive. The NYT didn't follow up as far as I can tell. I couldn't tell from his comments if: No student who returned to campus had tested positive, or if all the students who tested positive were off campus when they were tested.

I went through that just to say that it is possible in the interview that you heard that he is battling with the NYT and other media. Instead of being intentionally misleading, he might just be involved in an argument that you are unaware of and he is arguing points that have nothing to do with particular issues that he is discussing. That happens quite frequently. Are people actually discussing whether nail salons or garden centers are good or bad for the spread of infection, or are they using keywords from a larger Rep/Dem debate that leaves people not interested in the Rep/Dem debate scratching their heads about the actual discussion about garden centers and nail salons.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
An article from Yahoo News about the numbers in Georgia still decreasing after more than three weeks since reopening. The story does say that it is still early, so still possible for things to go back up. However, it is not entirely a partisan piece.

Some things to note. "Open" doesn't mean that everyone is acting the same way they acted before. From what I have seen, businesses are open and people are moving around more, but people are not having big parties and hugging outside in parking lots. I wish more people would use masks. The debate about "opening back up" were highly partisan extreme stances: The government should stop any businesses to no business should be open until there is a 100% cure for the disease.

I hope that people in Georgia don't take the news that the numbers are staying good to start ignoring all social distancing measures. What should be apparent to everyone is that we can operate the economy while taking precautions for health. There is no urgent need for everyone to act the way they acted before the pandemic, but there is also no urgent need for everyone to stay locked up in their homes. (With the caveat that some people and in some areas stricter measures are probably still called for.)

https://news.yahoo.com/as-more-stat...on-for-the-rest-of-the-country-164734815.html

LibertyTurns

Banned
My goodness, to call out DeSantis without condemning Cuomo is ridiculous. Cuomo sent Covid patients into nursing homes, denied them the right to test them (for fear they would be discriminated against), or refuse them....and you don’t mention that as alikely major contributor to the problems in NY?
If Cuomo had been paying attention to DeSantis maybe there wouldn’t be some many Yanks dying? But he encouraged them to keep piling into their beloved subways, etc until the political heat got too great then he cried for ventilators galore, went hysterical & embarked on an incessant Federal Government blame spree (easy target to find incompetents to tar & feather) to keep the sheep distracted. They buy that tripe up there & on the left coast so he’s immensely popular among that demographic.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
An article from Yahoo News about the numbers in Georgia still decreasing after more than three weeks since reopening. The story does say that it is still early, so still possible for things to go back up. However, it is not entirely a partisan piece.

Some things to note. "Open" doesn't mean that everyone is acting the same way they acted before. From what I have seen, businesses are open and people are moving around more, but people are not having big parties and hugging outside in parking lots. I wish more people would use masks. The debate about "opening back up" were highly partisan extreme stances: The government should stop any businesses to no business should be open until there is a 100% cure for the disease.

I hope that people in Georgia don't take the news that the numbers are staying good to start ignoring all social distancing measures. What should be apparent to everyone is that we can operate the economy while taking precautions for health. There is no urgent need for everyone to act the way they acted before the pandemic, but there is also no urgent need for everyone to stay locked up in their homes. (With the caveat that some people and in some areas stricter measures are probably still called for.)

https://news.yahoo.com/as-more-stat...on-for-the-rest-of-the-country-164734815.html
They already are. Just one trip to MOG area tells ya all you need to know.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
If Cuomo had been paying attention to DeSantis maybe there wouldn’t be some many Yanks dying? But he encouraged them to keep piling into their beloved subways, etc until the political heat got too great then he cried for ventilators galore, went hysterical & embarked on an incessant Federal Government blame spree (easy target to find incompetents to tar & feather) to keep the sheep distracted. They buy that tripe up there & on the left coast so he’s immensely popular among that demographic.
The clip that showed his Health Director warning him how bad it was gonna be and him waving it off, will sicken even the most blue blooded here.

I heard mention on TV tonight of a list of the 50 most dangerous medications, so I decided to look it up. Although this list was compiled in 2016, I doubt there have been many, if any, changes. On the list are a few recognizable names --- aspirin (44), prednizone (42), fentanyl (40), acetamenophine (39), cyclosporine (37), oxycodone (31), and morphine (17). You know what does not appear on the list? HYDROXCHLOROQUINE !!! And yet the media and all the Trump haters have declared, or at least implied in some cases, that hydroxychlorquine is a deadly drug. WOW !!!
https://www.abc15.com/news/national/these-are-the-50-most-dangerous-drugs-on-the-market

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Have fun in the ignore bin. I remember when you took us down this massive vile anti-Christian death spiral a couple years ago. Not taking the bait.

It has nothing to do with anti-christian. It is willingly teaching people things that are demonstrably false. There is nothing about young earth creationism that is anything remotely close to truth.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I heard mention on TV tonight of a list of the 50 most dangerous medications, so I decided to look it up. Although this list was compiled in 2016, I doubt there have been many, if any, changes. On the list are a few recognizable names --- aspirin (44), prednizone (42), fentanyl (40), acetamenophine (39), cyclosporine (37), oxycodone (31), and morphine (17). You know what does not appear on the list? HYDROXCHLOROQUINE !!! And yet the media and all the Trump haters have declared, or at least implied in some cases, that hydroxychlorquine is a deadly drug. WOW !!!
https://www.abc15.com/news/national/these-are-the-50-most-dangerous-drugs-on-the-market

Is anyone doing a valid study on this medication as treatment? I know the right is all about it and the left thinks its worse than meth. But for the rest of us we just want to know if there are any good studies about it.

Deleted member 2897

This is why experts like Dr. Birx say they don’t trust anything coming out of the CDC. The agency has 1 job and can’t do it again and again.

People who test positive for antibodies should count as a positive COVID-19 case. That shows they had it if the test is correct. If they’re doing that, then the data is just as helpful as someone who tested positive with a traditional test in say April and has since recovered. A negative test for antibodies (if the test is correct) is even more important than a negative point in time test. It means they’ve never had the virus, just not right now. As long as they’re giving a breakdown of all the numbers, there shouldn’t be an issue. But of course there’s the rub LOL.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
This is why experts like Dr. Birx say they don’t trust anything coming out of the CDC. The agency has 1 job and can’t do it again and again.
When you say 1 job do you mean they only have one job that is meaningful to me or do you honestly believe that the CDC only has 1 job? If it would help I can list out many things the CDC does that has nothing to do with global pandemics.

When you say 1 job do you mean they only have one job that is meaningful to me or do you honestly believe that the CDC only has 1 job? If it would help I can list out many things the CDC does that has nothing to do with global pandemics.
The CDC's "one job" is
"to protect America from health, safety and security threats, both foreign and in the U.S. Whether diseases start at home or abroad, are chronic or acute, curable or preventable, human error or deliberate attack, CDC fights disease and supports communities and citizens to do the same.
CDC increases the health security of our nation. As the nation’s health protection agency, CDC saves lives and protects people from health threats. To accomplish our mission, CDC conducts critical science and provides health information that protects our nation against expensive and dangerous health threats, and responds when these arise."
This from https://www.cdc.gov/about/organization/mission.htm
I don't think it is unreasonable to say that the CDC did not do their job very well in regards to this pandemic.

Deleted member 2897

We've covered this before. I'll say it again, they have 1 charter, of which pandemics are one piece. Stop being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. The CDC was built for a global pandemic. Now is their time to shine. But from testing to reporting to everything else, they've been an unmitigated mess.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The CDC's "one job" is
"to protect America from health, safety and security threats, both foreign and in the U.S. Whether diseases start at home or abroad, are chronic or acute, curable or preventable, human error or deliberate attack, CDC fights disease and supports communities and citizens to do the same.
CDC increases the health security of our nation. As the nation’s health protection agency, CDC saves lives and protects people from health threats. To accomplish our mission, CDC conducts critical science and provides health information that protects our nation against expensive and dangerous health threats, and responds when these arise."
This from https://www.cdc.gov/about/organization/mission.htm
I don't think it is unreasonable to say that the CDC did not do their job very well in regards to this pandemic.
I don't really disagree with regards to the CDC's response to this particular issue, especially in light of the news today that they are conflating viral and antibody test results but if we are going to say that a mission statement defines the job of an organization then there is no organization in the world with more than 1 job.

Status
Not open for further replies.