Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
@takethepoints Let me bow down at the almighty Nobel Prize altar. Among their distinguished laureates are Paul Krugman, Bob Dylan, Al Gore (Climate change education), Yasser Arafat (Terrorist), Aung Sun Suu Kyi, etc.

Obama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009. The application supporting his nomination was due to the Swedish Academy 12 days after he took office. That must have been 11 very busy days for sure!

Kissinger was also given the Peace Prize- he secretly bombed Cambodia, bombed Hanoi while negotiating the treaty he got the award for, etc.

Moniz was awarded Nobel Prize in Medicine for the lobotomy. He should have operated on Arrow!

Haber got it for advancing chemical warfare figuring out an effective way of weaponizing chlorine gas.

Kofi Annan got it for stealing UN humanitarian aid to enrich his son. Kellog got it for appeasement. Hull got it for repelling Holocaust refugees, sending them back to Europe to be exterminated. American Friends Service Committee ring a bell? AFSC denied the Khmer Rouge genocide of over 1 million Cambodians.

There’s plenty of other examples. The Nobel prizes are a noble cause but not without their mistakes, many of which are driven by radical ideology or some other politically motivated reason by their members.
There's a difference between the science prizes and the peace prize. The Noble in economics (it's actually the Swedish National Bank Prize in Honor of Alfred N0ble) is now pretty much a social science prize, but there's no doubt that Arrow deserved recognition. So did Krugman.

Btw, this is a species of ad hominem. It doesn't address the content of Arrow's essay; instead, it tries to tar it by association with others who won other prizes. You know better.

LibertyTurns

Banned
There's a difference between the science prizes and the peace prize. The Noble in economics (it's actually the Swedish National Bank Prize in Honor of Alfred N0ble) is now pretty much a social science prize, but there's no doubt that Arrow deserved recognition. So did Krugman.

Btw, this is a species of ad hominem. It doesn't address the content of Arrow's essay; instead, it tries to tar it by association with others who won other prizes. You know better.
Arrow’s Nobel prize was in Economics, not science. He spent almost his entire career as an academic. Name one thing he did which resulted in a positive outcome for our nation or any business or cause he supported?

GT_EE78

Banned
Coronavirus: South Korea’s infection rate falls without citywide lockdowns like China, Italy
  • South Korea had 7,513 Covid-19 cases as of Monday, with daily infections falling for a fourth consecutive day
  • Officials attribute the decrease to mass testing, improved public communication and the use of advanced technology
> they got rid of beauracratic regulations in 2015 and were able ramp up quickly with test kits made by multiple producers.
> some of the things they did may be difficult here (near 100% usage of masks for example)
> rapid testing meant sooner treatment which may be why they have a low mortality rate.

"Extensive testing of members of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, which was linked to more than 60 per cent of the country’s cases.

South Korea has been proactive in providing its citizens with information needed to stay safe, including twice daily media briefings and emergency alerts sent by mobile phone to those living or working in districts where new cases have been confirmed. Details about the travel histories of confirmed patients are also available on municipal websites, sometimes with breakdowns of a patient’s residence or employer, which can make them identifiable individually, leading to concerns about privacy.

The importance of maintaining good hygiene has also been stressed. South Koreans seldom leave their homes without wearing a face mask, with many buildings putting up signs reading “No Masks, No Entry”. Restaurant workers and retail staff wear masks while serving customers.

South Korea has also come up with creative measures, including about 50 drive-through testing stations across the country, where it takes only 10 minutes to go through the whole procedure. Test results are available within hours.Covid-19 tests are prohibitively expensive in many countries but in South Korea, all tests are free. The country is also capable of processing up to 15,000 diagnostic tests a day. "

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/heal...virus-south-korea-cuts-infection-rate-without

LibertyTurns

Banned
@GT_EE78 Was trying to find the statistical analysis of this virus & projected trajectory. South Korea has already peaked, US close to having peaked. By end of the month had this thing petered out, so not surprised by today’s report.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Saw this on Facebook...

Not sure who wrote this, but I had to share. It's so true.

Everyone needs to chill. We live in & around New Orleans. We wear just caught dirty crap from China from strangers for two weeks straight while not sleeping and sustaining on a diet of alcohol, king cake and Popeye's chicken. Then turn around & pretend we are all Irish, drink green beer, kiss strangers & eat cabbage, carrots & potatoes we catch or from off the ground! We spend two weeks at the end of April listening to amazing bands & dancing (in often wet) horse poop & mud. We live in cancer alley. Cruise ships dock here almost daily spilling out infected throngs of tourists from God knows where. We eat moon pies off the ground and communal crawfish repeatedly. We have the strongest damn immune systems in the Country. When the rest of those clean *** germophobes fall, we will raise a glass and have yet another festival and complain about our allergies. Seriously. I was back here a month after Katrina in toxic sludge and I’m still standing....this crappy *** virus named after a Mexican beer is not what is going to take me out!!

The scale on the South Korean chart is 100x that of the US, making our spike look 100x more than theirs. Furthermore, per capita, we have 6.5x as many people here. South Korea currently has about 7,500 confirmed cases. So if we get to about 50,000 cases and plateau in 2-3 weeks, then I suppose we will do a good job matching the gold standard in the world for containment. That would be apples to apples. I won't say if we beat that or not if that means we did a good job or not. The way to have contained it would have been to shut down all international travel a couple weeks ago, stop large gatherings, and so on. I don't think we're the kind of country that would do that absent a disease like Ebola, and I didn't see anybody around here (there are a ton of smart people on these boards) advocating for that either...nor did I hear the CDC or NIH or other health experts advocate for that at the time.
We also sent doctors to the regions in which Ebola supposedly originated. From what I have heard, the Chinese refused to allow any doctors or researchers from the US to come to China.

89229238_1591100411047672_6277719371737464832_n.jpg
Unfortunately, there are people who actually believe that and have stated it publicly. Some have even advocated drinking industrial alcohol. And a fast spreading claim in France, that was immediately addressed by the French government, was that cocaine could be used to prevent/cure it. There are some incredibly stupid people in this world.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We're not at the point of no return, but speed and urgency is key. Pretty eye opening read here:

We're not at the point of no return, but speed and urgency is key. Pretty eye opening read here:

I have no idea whether this man was a good director of the CDC or not, and he's obviously doing a lot of patting himself on the back, BUT I doubt he could have been any worse than the current one seems to be. I heard earlier tonight that the CDC had rejected the offer of WHO-approved test kits, because they wanted to develop their own test kits, which they thought would be more reliable. The problem is, however, that the CDC has been dragging their feet on developing and dispersing their own test kits. They certainly do not inspire much, if any confidence in my mind.

GT_EE78

Banned
Unfortunately, there are people who actually believe that and have stated it publicly. Some have even advocated drinking industrial alcohol. And a fast spreading claim in France, that was immediately addressed by the French government, was that cocaine could be used to prevent/cure it. There are some incredibly stupid people in this world.
> funny you should mention that
> guess it's not quite as stupid as licking the handpoles on the subway to prove allah is great
Dozens in Iran die from drinking bootleg alcohol to prevent coronavirus infection
https://www.foxnews.com/world/iran-coronavirus-dozens-die-bootleg-alcohol-poisoning

GT_EE78

Banned
@GT_EE78 Was trying to find the statistical analysis of this virus & projected trajectory. South Korea has already peaked, US close to having peaked. By end of the month had this thing petered out, so not surprised by today’s report.
I don't understand your post . If you're suggesting that we'll follow the SK trajectory that would mean #cases detected per day should peak in about two weeks as i interpret it.but that's from raw data rather than the article i linked.

Deleted member 2897

South Korea has not peaked. They are closing in on 8,000, adding another couple hundred new cases today.

Deleted member 2897

Updated numbers, I missed yesterday, so I'm putting in -----
126....+24
158....+32
215....+57
317....+102
430....+113
531....+101
-----
959...+428 (2-day change)

Well, it’s 1025 now. Call it the middle of the night update LOL.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
No comment. Just read. For some reason I heard Soul Asylum's "Runaway Train" as I read this:

Status
Not open for further replies.