Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yep. It took a bit to figure out that idiotic FDA rules were preventing folks from ramping up test kit availability. That has nothing to do with Trump or the spread of the disease. Many people presumed positive were quarantined anyway as if they were. Should we have shut the whole country down like Italy just did? I’m not sure we want to do that for a non-Ebola type of virus.

From your quick response, it tells me you read ZERO of the articles. I'm not being rude here or condescending, but please do yourself and everyone a favor and read articles provided to you before you respond.

Deleted member 2897

From your quick response, it tells me you read ZERO of the articles. I'm not being rude here or condescending, but please do yourself and everyone a favor and read articles provided to you before you respond.

Why do you assume I haven’t read them? That is condescending. Please tell me something...anything that the CDC or NIH or Congress has asked for that they haven’t gotten. Please tell me what a delay in wide availability of test kits really does - from everything I’ve read, people who needed them were able to get things overnighted from the CDC. In the meantime, people were advised to self-quarantine or were quarantined in hospitals - the same thing they would have done regardless of any test.

(I have read them and my comments here reflect some of the main points in those articles).

If the main complaint people have is test availability, then we’re in exceedingly good shape.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

So to reiterate: US numbers are just the tip of the iceberg...and that iceberg is about to break loose...

GT_EE78

Banned
> Here's one way to get your food and TP delivered. just have national guard do it.
National Guard deployed to NY community with nation’s ‘largest cluster’ of coronavirus
Cuomo announced he was dispatching the National Guard to enforce the closure of “large gathering areas” within the radius, including schools, houses of worship, and other large gathering facilities effective starting Thursday and running for two weeks. The two Metro-North stations serving the area will remain open, transit sources said.

Grocery stores will not be closed, and civilians will be free to come and go from the containment area.

“We’re also going to use the National Guard in the containment area to deliver food to homes, [and] to help with the cleaning of public spaces,” said Cuomo.
https://nypost.com/2020/03/10/natio...-with-nations-largest-cluster-of-coronavirus/

Deleted member 2897

So to reiterate: US numbers are just the tip of the iceberg...and that iceberg is about to break loose...

That illustration is a perfect example of why somekne shouldn’t let politics cloud science. We are only a few days here into coronavirus spikes. So let’s see if we can contain it in another two and a half weeks. Also, notice those 2 charts are on wildly different scales. :D

Also, I could be wrong, and I apologize if I am, but weren’t you one of the people who stressed that this disease is not that bad and that we should not overreact and shut everything down?

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
> Here's one way to get your food and TP delivered. just have national guard do it.
National Guard deployed to NY community with nation’s ‘largest cluster’ of coronavirus
Cuomo announced he was dispatching the National Guard to enforce the closure of “large gathering areas” within the radius, including schools, houses of worship, and other large gathering facilities effective starting Thursday and running for two weeks. The two Metro-North stations serving the area will remain open, transit sources said.

Grocery stores will not be closed, and civilians will be free to come and go from the containment area.

“We’re also going to use the National Guard in the containment area to deliver food to homes, [and] to help with the cleaning of public spaces,” said Cuomo.
https://nypost.com/2020/03/10/natio...-with-nations-largest-cluster-of-coronavirus/
I'm confused. There is supposed to be a containment area with the Natl Guard sent to enforce the closure but transit lines will be open & people can come & go from the containment area?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I'm confused. There is supposed to be a containment area with the Natl Guard sent to enforce the closure but transit lines will be open & people can come & go from the containment area?

I believe it says that the national guard will prevent large gatherings such as schools, church, etc.. I understand the legality of quarantines. I understand the ability of the government to close schools. However, I don't understand how they can get around Constitutional protections for speech, assembly, and religion.

Deleted member 2897

The scale on the South Korean chart is 100x that of the US, making our spike look 100x more than theirs. Furthermore, per capita, we have 6.5x as many people here. South Korea currently has about 7,500 confirmed cases. So if we get to about 50,000 cases and plateau in 2-3 weeks, then I suppose we will do a good job matching the gold standard in the world for containment. That would be apples to apples. I won't say if we beat that or not if that means we did a good job or not. The way to have contained it would have been to shut down all international travel a couple weeks ago, stop large gatherings, and so on. I don't think we're the kind of country that would do that absent a disease like Ebola, and I didn't see anybody around here (there are a ton of smart people on these boards) advocating for that either...nor did I hear the CDC or NIH or other health experts advocate for that at the time.

Deleted member 2897

It is actually growing exponentially. Here are the numbers for the last several days (approximate).
126....+24
158....+32
215....+57
317....+102
430....+113
531....+101
I missed yesterday
804 (early afternoon)....+273 (need to check around 9pm tonight to make this a pretty accurate 2 day change)

Updated numbers, I missed yesterday, so I'm putting in -----
126....+24
158....+32
215....+57
317....+102
430....+113
531....+101
-----
959...+428 (2-day change)

LibertyTurns

Banned
@takethepoints Let me bow down at the almighty Nobel Prize altar. Among their distinguished laureates are Paul Krugman, Bob Dylan, Al Gore (Climate change education), Yasser Arafat (Terrorist), Aung Sun Suu Kyi, etc.

Obama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009. The application supporting his nomination was due to the Swedish Academy 12 days after he took office. That must have been 11 very busy days for sure!

Kissinger was also given the Peace Prize- he secretly bombed Cambodia, bombed Hanoi while negotiating the treaty he got the award for, etc.

Moniz was awarded Nobel Prize in Medicine for the lobotomy. He should have operated on Arrow!

Haber got it for advancing chemical warfare figuring out an effective way of weaponizing chlorine gas.

Kofi Annan got it for stealing UN humanitarian aid to enrich his son. Kellog got it for appeasement. Hull got it for repelling Holocaust refugees, sending them back to Europe to be exterminated. American Friends Service Committee ring a bell? AFSC denied the Khmer Rouge genocide of over 1 million Cambodians.

There’s plenty of other examples. The Nobel prizes are a noble cause but not without their mistakes, many of which are driven by radical ideology or some other politically motivated reason by their members.

GT_EE78

Banned
I believe it says that the national guard will prevent large gatherings such as schools, church, etc.. I understand the legality of quarantines. I understand the ability of the government to close schools. However, I don't understand how they can get around Constitutional protections for speech, assembly, and religion.
I'd say that calling it a "containment area" was a "misnomer". Preventing large gatherings in that 1 mile radius may be wise since there are 108 infected and over 1000 who have been asked to self- quarantine. I'm not sure if there's an issue of constitutional protections. One can go to church, theater or ballgame just by going out of that neighborhood. Nat Guard will be cleaning the spaces wherever that outbreak occurred and delivering food and TP. It's a two week inconvenience and they're not stopping anyone from leaving except maybe the ones hospitalized or quarantined.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I'm gonna assume this has been in the states longer than first tested/reported. The real # is probably in the thousands or even tens of thousands since some people have had it and never even went to a doctor office.
Now, now don't go dropping facts and confusing the masses.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
88998067_530049544609002_8157537363610828800_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.