Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
Sorry guys but this C19 reporting is getting as bad as the weatherman or a chump stock picker. The data has no correlation to the results, actions do not generate the results expected, predictions are widely off in both directions, etc. I’m not sure there’s a single person that has any idea what’s going on. What’s clear is every “expert” has been repetitively wrong so often it’s comical people referring to them as experts.

Another day will go by, another bunch of baseless decisions will be made by a group of clueless idiots that heard something on the internet, another group of angry people will denounce the baseless decisions, the results reported will be inaccurate but will reflect the predictions of none of them and people will belly up to the trough for another gulp of BS tomorrow.

A very small group of smart people are sitting in the comfort of their villa counting an ever growing pile of money made off the nonsense and hoping it last another 2-3 more months, egging on the imbeciles all the way.
Severely underdetermined systems mixed with poor application/interpretation of statistics, but wherever there's a demand...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The apps that Google and Apple have been reportedly working on wouldn't really work unless it was turned on for everyone. It would have very large privacy concerns. However, if the one primary goal is to stop this virus, then it is a great tool. The phones keep track of who they are close to. When one person is diagnosed, the location history can determine what phones that person was in contact with and notify them. It would work even if the people don't know each other, such as standing side by side on the subway. That is a much better tool than asking the diagnosed person who he came in contact with in the last two weeks. He won't remember everyone, and he possibly won't even know who some of them are.

I said IF stopping the virus is the one primary goal. That isn't the one primary goal for many, even probably most people in the US. If that system was instituted involuntarily, some people would leave their cell phones at home. People who engage in suspect activities such as purchasing drugs or visiting prostitutes would probably leave their phones away from those locations even though they are probably at higher risk at those locations. It is a good idea in theory, but I have concerns how well it would work out in practice.

I must admit I am so embarrassingly far behind in my knowledge of the latest apps (I still call them "gadgets") that I only have a vague understanding of how they work. I reckon, though, they would be a help, even though the solution is an imperfect one. But the virus is currently way too far out of control for it to have much effect. We'd have to get it much more under control for these devices to be of much help. Cart before the horse.

GT_EE78

Banned
> Good news from a great company that makes most of their products in the USA
New Balance Retools From Making Shoes to Medical Masks in a Week
Now, the company is churning out 100,000 masks per week at its Lawrence, Massachusetts, and Norridgewock, Maine, plants and they may begin mask production at three other plants, now idle, that the company owns.
New Balance realized it had no expertise in making high-end medical masks, but partnered with Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Massachusetts General Hospital to design the new mask the company planned to produce.
https://www.newsmax.com/us/new-balance-mit-face-masks-manufacturing/2020/04/23/id/964246/

LibertyTurns

Banned

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Who knows what would happen. The mayor of LA has threatened arrest. I'm sure the governor of Michigan wouldn't shy away from doing the same thing. I think even DeBlasio, who wanders around wherever he wants, breaking his own rules, has made the same threat.

Wait a minute. The L.A. mayor threatened arrest for people who did not comply with contact tracing, or something else? I can't find anything on this, so I am asking. Your speculation as to the Michigan governor is mere speculation. And the New York mayor has threatened arrest over non-compliance with contact tracing? Do you have anything to back that up? Remember, we're talking about contact tracing here.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Wait a minute. The L.A. mayor threatened arrest for people who did not comply with contact tracing, or something else? I can't find anything on this, so I am asking. Your speculation as to the Michigan governor is mere speculation. And the New York mayor has threatened arrest over non-compliance with contact tracing? Do you have anything to back that up? Remember, we're talking about contact tracing here.

We see politicians on both sides say stupid stuff that they will do. Even if they did threaten it, does not mean they will be able to pull it off. I usually take all of those things with a grain of salt.

Most political babel rarely has any basis in the real world.

> Good news from a great company that makes most of their products in the USA
New Balance Retools From Making Shoes to Medical Masks in a Week
Now, the company is churning out 100,000 masks per week at its Lawrence, Massachusetts, and Norridgewock, Maine, plants and they may begin mask production at three other plants, now idle, that the company owns.
New Balance realized it had no expertise in making high-end medical masks, but partnered with Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Massachusetts General Hospital to design the new mask the company planned to produce.
https://www.newsmax.com/us/new-balance-mit-face-masks-manufacturing/2020/04/23/id/964246/
Wonder how that effort will turn out in comparison to the California governor giving one billion dollars to a going-out-of-business auto manufacturer in China to produce masks. Seems like it would be a lot easier for a shoe-making company to make masks than an auto company.

There have been doctors making this claim for while....that the two work together. I believe they said the HCQ opens up the cell wall, or something like that, and then the zinc does the work. Maybe I’m remembering wrong.
The problem with the VA study, and perhaps others as well, is that they administered the combo to patients too far along into their sickness, and it did no good. But to patients early on in treatment, it apparently had very good results.

The mayor of LA has issued so many draconian measures I can't keep up with them. I do know that he has been "on top of" tracing, as has DeBlasio of NYC. What I said about the Michigan governor may well have been speculation on this particular point, but she is defying the Michigan legislature in extending her "rule" over the situation in Michigan, and the legislature is not happy. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see impeachment measures begun there, if not forcible removal from office. She is defying not only the Michigan legislature, but the US Constitution.

There have been doctors making this claim for while....that the two work together. I believe they said the HCQ opens up the cell wall, or something like that, and then the zinc does the work. Maybe I’m remembering wrong.
Don't know if you're 100% accurate in that, but what you posted is at least very similar to what I have heard too.

GT_EE78

Banned
And also not to be relied on for far-along patients, but new or intermediary ones.
that's the problem precisely. FDA has only approved trials for critically ill patients who don't have a great chance at that stage, but still some reports are very positive.
Once one is intubated or ventilated side infections can occur which is probably why the Z-pack would be included.
Z-pack has been standard fare for folks with bronchitis for a long time.
The US studies are missing the "window of opportunity".. (and are worthless without the zinc)
Solutions are more likely to come from Europe where it is easier to get approval for clinical trials and bring drugs to market faster than the US.
That may not always be a good thing. that debate will continue long after this.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
How will contact tracing work here in US as it relates to privacy rights?
That isn't likely to be a concern legally. Those who are contacted will be asked the big question: were you within 6 feet of <whoever> for a period of 15 minutes? If the answer is no, they'll be asked to voluntarily isolate for 14 days; no big stretch in this environment. If the answer is yes, then they'll be required to isolate. Neither of these is a big privacy concern. Unless you want to be an <expletive deleted> about it. Then health officials can require you to isolate and will.

In short, this is a lot like getting stopped while driving and given a test for intoxication.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The mayor of LA has issued so many draconian measures I can't keep up with them. I do know that he has been "on top of" tracing, as has DeBlasio of NYC. What I said about the Michigan governor may well have been speculation on this particular point, but she is defying the Michigan legislature in extending her "rule" over the situation in Michigan, and the legislature is not happy. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see impeachment measures begun there, if not forcible removal from office. She is defying not only the Michigan legislature, but the US Constitution.

Uh huh. So nothing about penalties for not cooperating with contact tracing, which was the sole focus of my question. What I figured.

Uh huh. So nothing about penalties for not cooperating with contact tracing, which was the sole focus of my question. What I figured.
Well, I don't write down or record things I hear, and I certainly don't have the memory capacity to remember every single detail, but I know what I heard. And that's all I can say about it.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
And, right on cue, here's a post by an actual attorney on the subject of isolation. See:

https://theincidentaleconomist.com/...t-the-right-quarantines-covid-19-and-the-cdc/

Short Woodruff: the federal government (which is a limited government) has limited powers in this area; states - and by extension localities - don't. But there are limits even for states, mostly concerning practicalities of behavior for those who should isolate. Some people (day laborers, ect.) can't and we haven't done a lick to see that they can when they should. That needs to be addressed. Now.

Status
Not open for further replies.