Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Looking forward to your data to support this assertion. It's amazing that you never get tired of posting the same damn thing. Orange man bad, a fifth grader would have done better, I have a paycheck so damn those people who don't, etc.

Mmm, lessee, data...how about this? New Zealand has a death rate per capita from COVID-19 that is <2% that of the U.S.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
How will contact tracing work here in US as it relates to privacy rights?

I guess they'll just ask the infected to please provide their contact information, on a voluntary basis, of course. Most will comply. Don't they do this with syphilis?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The people the infected ones were in physical contact with.
OK. Thanks for not calling me a dummy! Obviously, that info is helpful. But in practical terms... what does the contact tracing "workforce" then provide? I honestly am asking. It just smells like a bit of a rat to me. Theoretically... it could help; but practically... a real mess.

> I'd take the US data times 4 for population adjustment to guestimate what happened in China
US Intel Officials Believe 45,500 Corpses Were Incinerated In One Fortnight In Wuhan
It is believed that US intelligence has in its possession satellite images showing funeral homes in Wuhan overwhelmed by dead bodies. Officials believe that incinerators have been in constant use for 24 hours a day since the outbreak began.
https://summit.news/2020/04/28/us-i...s-were-incinerated-in-one-fortnight-in-wuhan/
WOW

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
OK. Thanks for not calling me a dummy! Obviously, that info is helpful. But in practical terms... what does the contact tracing "workforce" then provide? I honestly am asking. It just smells like a bit of a rat to me. Theoretically... it could help; but practically... a real mess.

I guess they then provide testing to the ones in physical contact, and if those people are positive, track down their contacts and do the same, etc., etc. Seems an exhausting process. I would think this could work best in any practical sense if the numbers were low enough to allow it. Otherwise, it would just be too daunting a task to keep up with.

Good grief, it's voluntary and they're just trying to stop an epidemic. They do this with other communicable diseases, especially sexually transmitted ones.
I haven't heard it described as voluntary. It might be in some places, but in others (California and Michigan) there has at least been talk about it being mandatory.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Good grief, it's voluntary and they're just trying to stop an epidemic. They do this with other communicable diseases, especially sexually transmitted ones.
As you describe it... it's voluntary for the infected guy.... to give list of contacts. Perhaps those contacts don't want to be on a 3rd party's (government 'service') list. I know that's a little counterintuitive... anyone exposed would want to know. But the "what comes with knowing" risk-benefit equation could easily be a more than some are willing to take on.

Mandatory? So, what would happen to you if you refused to squeal? Rubber hose? The rack?

Here's all about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_tracing
Who knows what would happen. The mayor of LA has threatened arrest. I'm sure the governor of Michigan wouldn't shy away from doing the same thing. I think even DeBlasio, who wanders around wherever he wants, breaking his own rules, has made the same threat.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Mandatory? So, what would happen to you if you refused to squeal? Rubber hose? The rack?

Here's all about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_tracing

The apps that Google and Apple have been reportedly working on wouldn't really work unless it was turned on for everyone. It would have very large privacy concerns. However, if the one primary goal is to stop this virus, then it is a great tool. The phones keep track of who they are close to. When one person is diagnosed, the location history can determine what phones that person was in contact with and notify them. It would work even if the people don't know each other, such as standing side by side on the subway. That is a much better tool than asking the diagnosed person who he came in contact with in the last two weeks. He won't remember everyone, and he possibly won't even know who some of them are.

I said IF stopping the virus is the one primary goal. That isn't the one primary goal for many, even probably most people in the US. If that system was instituted involuntarily, some people would leave their cell phones at home. People who engage in suspect activities such as purchasing drugs or visiting prostitutes would probably leave their phones away from those locations even though they are probably at higher risk at those locations. It is a good idea in theory, but I have concerns how well it would work out in practice.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I find the wide range of data out there interesting.

Looking at this map
https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/georgia
It says Georgia has peaked 2 days ago with 1805 beds used.
Looking here for Georgia
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
the number of beds in use keeps climbing and we are up to 5,056 beds in use and still climbing. 12 days ago or so it was at 2,800 beds in use
If this one is true Georgia has a lot more deaths ahead in the next month.

Talk about a huge disparity. Surely we can count the number of people in the hospital for this thing.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on?

LibertyTurns

Banned
Sorry guys but this C19 reporting is getting as bad as the weatherman or a chump stock picker. The data has no correlation to the results, actions do not generate the results expected, predictions are widely off in both directions, etc. I’m not sure there’s a single person that has any idea what’s going on. What’s clear is every “expert” has been repetitively wrong so often it’s comical people referring to them as experts.

Another day will go by, another bunch of baseless decisions will be made by a group of clueless idiots that heard something on the internet, another group of angry people will denounce the baseless decisions, the results reported will be inaccurate but will reflect the predictions of none of them and people will belly up to the trough for another gulp of BS tomorrow.

A very small group of smart people are sitting in the comfort of their villa counting an ever growing pile of money made off the nonsense and hoping it last another 2-3 more months, egging on the imbeciles all the way.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Sorry guys but this C19 reporting is getting as bad as the weatherman or a chump stock picker. The data has no correlation to the results, actions do not generate the results expected, predictions are widely off in both directions, etc. I’m not sure there’s a single person that has any idea what’s going on. What’s clear is every “expert” has been repetitively wrong so often it’s comical people referring to them as experts.

Another day will go by, another bunch of baseless decisions will be made by a group of clueless idiots that heard something on the internet, another group of angry people will denounce the baseless decisions, the results reported will be inaccurate but will reflect the predictions of none of them and people will belly up to the trough for another gulp of BS tomorrow.

A very small group of smart people are sitting in the comfort of their villa counting an ever growing pile of money made off the nonsense and hoping it last another 2-3 more months, egging on the imbeciles all the way.

This is why you have to have basic principles that you believe in and adhere to.

Status
Not open for further replies.