Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
That’s not what I said. And that’s also false.

You can get the Flu and have no symptoms. You can get the Flu and have mild symptoms. Many people get the Flu and they just hunker down at home.
In the New England Journal of Medicine last week, U.S. experts predicted that the American fatality rate may prove closer to the flu’s 0.1%.--WSJ

Bottom line is that you have stated that the mortality rate for coronavirus is MUCH higher than the flu. Based on current WHO data, you may be technically correct, but see my quote above. It is misleading to keep saying that when the professionals believe it is much more like the flu....

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
First, that blog post was written by an employee of a bio-tech company and argues that the government should spend whatever bio-tech and pharmaceutical companies demand without any public backlash. Any conflict of interest?

Secondly, the blog post is poorly written, especially for an employee of a bio-tech company. I work at a small company. When I have written blog posts and magazine articles, my company sends them an outside editorial company. They don't edit my content, but do: change words, change sentence order/structure, add transition elements, etc. to make the articles more pleasant to read. I would think a bio-tech company would do the same.

Finally, this isn't "extrapolated" data. He takes bad data (which he admits is bad) and multiplies it by arbitrary numbers. He multiplies the death rate by 1/2. His justification? He knows that it is probably less than what has been reported, but infection rates might be higher. In other words, it is simply a guess.

I would almost guarantee that the rates in the article are not realistic. It is only "almost" because even a blindfolded person throwing darts has a chance of hitting a bulls-eye.

What would you do if you knew that a few hundred people in your community were infected with this virus? Do that now. Do what the CDC has been recommending: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/home/get-your-household-ready-for-COVID-19.html

Unfortunately what many people are going to do is: Ignore the CDC recommendations. Panic when there are confirmed cases in their community. Follow some "fad" recommendations from Facebook (stigmatizing infected people, wearing nitrite gloves, purchasing face masks, purchasing sterilizing air locks for their doors, etc) The really bad thing is that people will follow such fads and still ignore the CDC recommendations, like wearing nitrite gloves but still touching their eyes.
Neither Gardner or Bagley are employees of a "bio-tech" company. Smarts was only there to help with the calculations. Further, since Gardner is a professor of epidemiology (you can check), I doubt seriously if the calculations are not pretty much bog standard for such studies. As to the writing, that's Gardner; nobody ever said that research scientists are good at anything but research writing. I've done a lot of it and it isn't all that catchy.

But you are right: as I said, these are guesses based on a worse case scenario. But if you have a potential health crisis facing you, worse case scenarios are what you need to prepare for. And, of course, that calls for extrapolations. We used to do that with the NSC unit on pandemics, but you probably heard what happened with that.

You are right about the CDC too, of course. And about how people respond to this. I doubt many will take the CDC seriously. They call for the same kinds of things with the flu and, now that we are used to it cropping up, nobody pays any attention at all.

Deleted member 2897

In the New England Journal of Medicine last week, U.S. experts predicted that the American fatality rate may prove closer to the flu’s 0.1%.--WSJ

Bottom line is that you have stated that the mortality rate for coronavirus is MUCH higher than the flu. Based on current WHO data, you may be technically correct, but see my quote above. It is misleading to keep saying that when the professionals believe it is much more like the flu....

I am not asserting anything other than what the professionals are stating. If people think they know more than WHO, NIH, and CDC professionals, then take it up with them. I think they’re being fair about it. They’re not saying we’re all going to die. They know we don’t know the denominator to determine an accurate death rate. But they also see the level of contagiousness, the death rate in people they’re trying to treat, and they seem convinced there is enough data we need to be on guard. I don’t see anything wrong with any of that.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Forbes: An Unexpected Coronavirus Effect: Cheap Lobster (Lower Meat Prices, Too)
Topline: As the coronavirus outbreak has limited shipments into China, the price of U.S. exports like lobster — and, to a lesser extent, pork, chicken and beef — has dropped for U.S. consumers (but don’t expect that to last).
  • Lobster has fallen to its lowest price in four years after charter flights from North American to Asia came to a standstill during the onset of the coronavirus outbreak.
  • As a result, thousands of pounds of surplus lobster have drowned markets in North America and pushed prices down.

Deleted member 2897

US positive tests (approximate) last 5 days:

17 deaths now.

I haven't read that a single person worldwide under the age of 63 has died.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

17 deaths now.

This is why, as someone who lives in NYC, has taken the Subway this week, traveled thru Hartsfield last wknd, and has had some mild sniffles here & there this week, I'm not going to see my mom this wknd.

Deleted member 2897

This is why, as someone who lives in NYC, has taken the Subway this week, traveled thru Hartsfield last wknd, and has had some mild sniffles here & there this week, I'm not going to see my mom this wknd.

Hope you feel better soon!

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks. I feel fine, but a couple of times this week I had some extended blowing of my nose, last night I felt a bit weak after work, but bounced right back today. No fever, cough, or trouble breathing.

I'm not having any significant symptoms, but the here & there stuff, plus my exposure to large, crowded areas is where my concerns lie, relative to being around a 70+ year old mom with existing health issues. Nope. Not going near her.

GT_EE78

Banned

Well, thats probably just limits in data availability.
tables of death rate by age imply that the only age range with no deaths is under 10.
o.2% from 10 to 40

Thanks. I feel fine, but a couple of times this week I had some extended blowing of my nose, last night I felt a bit weak after work, but bounced right back today. No fever, cough, or trouble breathing.

I'm not having any significant symptoms, but the here & there stuff, plus my exposure to large, crowded areas is where my concerns lie, relative to being around a 70+ year old mom with existing health issues. Nope. Not going near her.
I am definitely not one to over react to anything, but based on what you said, and what's been in the news all week, I think I would get tested, just to be sure.

Deleted member 2897

17 deaths now.

Well, another update today:

Deleted member 2897

France and Germany have popped to 1,000. As many have said here, we’re probably way beyond that and testing is the only reason it’s not official yet.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
I was tracking this early before it ever got out of China. My fear has already been realized with the market drop and disruption to the supply chain. The potential damage that could snowball into is, I believe, much worse than the damage to the population.

Currently the full force of the medical scientist is working on Covid-19 and the treatment will be found to limit the symptoms.

GT_EE78

Banned
Yesterday (mar 7 ) new cases in US
116 new cases and 4 new deaths in the United States, including:

1st case in Virginia, in Fairfax County: a U.S Marine assigned to Fort Belvoir, VA [source]
1st case in Kansas [source]
34 new cases in New York [source] New York governor declares state of emergency
2 new cases in Pennsylvania, Montgomery County [source]
1st case in Washington, D.C. [source]
1 in Connecticut: a community physician in the Bridgeport area [source]
1 new case in Florida (Charlotte County) [source]
6 in Massachusetts, including 1 in Berkshire County [source] [source]
2 new deaths and 3 new cases in Florida (first deaths on the east coast) [source]
22 new cases and 3 new deaths in Washington state [source]
17 new cases in California:
- 8 in Santa Clara County
[source]
- 6 in San Francisco
[source]
- 1 in Los Angeles County
[source]
- 1 in Madera County
[source]
- 1 in Alameda County
: a former passenger on the now-quarantined Grand Princess cruise ship, an older adult who has underlying health conditions and is currently hospitalized. Alameda County’s Public Health Department is urging all residents who were on the Grand Princess cruise from Feb. 11 to Feb. 21 to get tested if they are experiencing any symptoms [source]
First 2 cases in South Carolina: an elderly woman in Kershaw County who has been hospitalized and an adult woman from Charleston County who had recently traveled to France and Italy [source]
1 new case in Illinois: a woman in her 50s who works as an aide at a Chicago high school [source]
1st case in Utah: the patient was a passenger of the Grand Princess cruise ship [source]
6 new cases in Colorado [source]
1st case in Hawaii: a former passenger of the Grand Princess cruise ship (that docked on Oahu in late February) who did not feel well after a few days after returning home and went to see their doctor. The Department of Health said, “We don’t believe the patient had close contact with anyone else, but we’re still investigating.” [source]
1 in New Jersey: a male in his 50s hospitalized at Englewood Hospital and Medical Center in Bergen County [source]

Status
Not open for further replies.