Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
You're not the only one who has posted links regarding how well SK was prepared re: test capabilty which is paying dividends so I'm not disagreeing with your point,however -
FYI, The Atlantic is often nothing but fake news like this story, They deliberately report something they know is false. Several outlets ran that <2000 number today when they know that it represents CDC test only. CDC stopped including state and local tests several days ago. total tests were about 6K yesterday or Friday. Avoid Atlantic.
That's fine. If we include state and local tests, the point stands. With South Korea, they were suggested weeks ago to be the best example of what's to come, particularly if one is skeptical of data coming from China. The story from SK is not just about # of tests, but more importantly outcomes that in theory project forward to countries who will experience the virus later as it spreads away from the epicenter.

LibertyTurns

Banned
A major point is seemingly overlooked in this whole mess- government (FDA) prevented private entities from independently developing test kits & that’s why we’re lagging. Had we allowed good old fashioned capitalists to seek profit by fulfilling demand, we’d be flush with kits nationwide instead of in this tail case.

Deleted member 2897

Trump retweets a Meme making fun of him for playing the fiddle while Rome burns. You just can’t make this stuff up.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, and that’s the worry right there
Agreed. Need better flu vaccines. We've had dozens of years to test them, and this year is considered a good year at 45% effective. Economies have been shut down over the last several months thanks to precautions taken by the government and businesses, people are afraid to go outside, and we're still losing 10's of thousands to the flu. Thankfully the coronavirus does not appear as contagious.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Trump retweets a Meme making fun of him for playing the fiddle while Rome burns. You just can’t make this stuff up.

This is an entirely unpolitical statement. The dude is ****ing clown shoes. I don't care if he was a Republican, Democrat, or member of the Green Party, he's just a total schmuck.

Deleted member 2897

As we have said here many times, its not just with regards to medical issues, but on a whole host of topics - the media is the enemy of the people.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As we have said here many times, its not just with regards to medical issues, but on a whole host of topics - the media is the enemy of the people.

I work in commercial banking and Coronavirus is extremely top of mind. We've been putting together trackers to see how it might affect our clients and there are serious concerns around disrupted supply chains and consumer confidence affecting credit quality.

Despite a serious & legitimate concern, on our last all-hands call on Friday, they closed with "Remain Calm".

Dr. Drew is right. Keep a level head, understand the facts, take precautions, and we'll be generally OK.

Deleted member 2897

I work in commercial banking and Coronavirus is extremely top of mind. We've been putting together trackers to see how it might affect our clients and there are serious concerns around disrupted supply chains and consumer confidence affecting credit quality.

Despite a serious & legitimate concern, on our last all-hands call on Friday, they closed with "Remain Calm".

Dr. Drew is right. Keep a level head, understand the facts, take precautions, and we'll be generally OK.

Spoke with a lady this weekend at a sports tournament who has an advanced degree in cell biology and worked at the CDC. She mirrored what most of the NIH and CDC experts have been saying. This one appears more contagious, we don't have a vaccine, and it appears to have a higher mortality rate, but we don't know a lot for sure yet. Its better to err on the safe side, but for the vast majority of people (younger than age 60 and no compromised immune systems), its basically like trying to avoid a flu outbreak.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Spoke with a lady this weekend at a sports tournament who has an advanced degree in cell biology and worked at the CDC. She mirrored what most of the NIH and CDC experts have been saying. This one appears more contagious, we don't have a vaccine, and it appears to have a higher mortality rate, but we don't know a lot for sure yet. Its better to err on the safe side, but for the vast majority of people (younger than age 60 and no compromised immune systems), its basically like trying to avoid a flu outbreak.

Can someone breakdown why Tamiflu would not be helpful as a prophylactic to Covid-19? Or any other anti-viral med?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Can someone breakdown why Tamiflu would not be helpful as a prophylactic to Covid-19? Or any other anti-viral med?
I don’t have a medical answer to the question or profess to know if it would possibly prevent Covid-19 as it does other strains?
What I do know about Tamiflu is it has side effects such as nosebleeds and other E.N.T. concerns. If what I’ve read about the Coronavirus, that it attacks those areas, I’d wonder could it exacerbate the problem?

Deleted member 2897

I have previously posted that I am unaware of anybody under age like 63 who has died. I just read something that confirms this is false.

Keeps posting as media instead of a link, so put this link together with no spaces:
https:// www.bbc.com /news/health-51214864

Assuming this is true (it says it is quoting the CDC):

Of the people who test positive for Coronavirus:
Under age 50: Less than 0.5%.
50s: 1.3%
60s: 3.6%
70s: 8%
Over age 80: 15%

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have previously posted that I am unaware of anybody under age like 63 who has died. I just read something that confirms this is false.

Keeps posting as media instead of a link, so put this link together with no spaces:
https:// www.bbc.com /news/health-51214864

Assuming this is true (it says it is quoting the CDC):

Of the people who test positive for Coronavirus:
Under age 50: Less than 0.5%.
50s: 1.3%
60s: 3.6%
70s: 8%
Over age 80: 15%
One thing to keep in mind is that those who have died have also had serious, underlying health issues.

The following WaPo column appeared in the Augusta Sunday paper. Although the writers make a claim that the blame could be pointed at chaotic management from the White House, my take on it is that the CDC and FDA have totally screwed things up for us by not developing and providing the public with viable testing. It sounds to me like a case of "we've always done it this way", and so nothing gets done --- https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...5f5dea-5d82-11ea-b29b-9db42f7803a7_story.html

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately I don't think the "24 hour news cycle" is apt to put data in appropriate context, meaning new test results will be presented as if the virus is spreading exponentially, where in reality the denominator is increasing primarily because we are finally able to test at scale.

It would be interesting if in an alternative universe we bastardized the interpretation of today's data to say "well, based on number of positive tests, this unpreventable disease is far less contagious than the flu, for which we have vaccines". Perhaps then folks would act irrationally the other direction. Who knows.

It is incredible how few people are thinking for themselves.

I think it is comparable to the reaction to news stories about plane crashes vs reaction to news stories about car crashes. People are used to the flu the same as they are used to riding in cars and seeing car crashes. People are not as familiar with plane crashes. People get scared when they see a news story about plane crashes. The data (and there is actually hard data on this) shows that plane travel is much safer than car travel. People are not scared of car travel even when weaving through traffic while driving 15 mph faster than the flow.

On average fewer than 1,000 people a year world wide die in plane crashes. On average between 35,000 to 40,000 people die in car crashes in the U.S. alone.

At least 12,000 people per year die of the flu in the U.S. In the 2017-2018 flu season, an estimated 61,000 people died of the flu in the U.S. So far fewer than 4,000 people worldwide have died from this virus. Total infections are unknown, so death rates cannot be calculated accurately. To reiterate: to this point, more people have died from the flu in the U.S. than have died from COVID-19 worldwide. People should worry about protecting themselves from the flu more than from COVID-19. Fortunately, the measures used to protect yourself from COVID-19 are exactly the same as the measures used to protect against the flu. People should follow those measures, and more because of the disease that is absolutely known to kill people with hard data, than a disease that is new and "scary".

Deleted member 2897

I think it is comparable to the reaction to news stories about plane crashes vs reaction to news stories about car crashes. People are used to the flu the same as they are used to riding in cars and seeing car crashes. People are not as familiar with plane crashes. People get scared when they see a news story about plane crashes. The data (and there is actually hard data on this) shows that plane travel is much safer than car travel. People are not scared of car travel even when weaving through traffic while driving 15 mph faster than the flow.

On average fewer than 1,000 people a year world wide die in plane crashes. On average between 35,000 to 40,000 people die in car crashes in the U.S. alone.

At least 12,000 people per year die of the flu in the U.S. In the 2017-2018 flu season, an estimated 61,000 people died of the flu in the U.S. So far fewer than 4,000 people worldwide have died from this virus. Total infections are unknown, so death rates cannot be calculated accurately. To reiterate: to this point, more people have died from the flu in the U.S. than have died from COVID-19 worldwide. People should worry about protecting themselves from the flu more than from COVID-19. Fortunately, the measures used to protect yourself from COVID-19 are exactly the same as the measures used to protect against the flu. People should follow those measures, and more because of the disease that is absolutely known to kill people with hard data, than a disease that is new and "scary".

LOL

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
South Korea, the pioneer for reliable, wide-scale testing data has reported a decline in new cases for the 4th straight day. Just shy of 7,500 cases reported there. 53 deaths in SK, per Johns Hopkins, meaning a death rate of .7%.

Population of SK is ~51M.

Deleted member 2897

4 positive tests in the Maldives. Dang Italians again. :D They seem to be spreading Coronavirus like Americans spread STDs. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.