Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The world needs to take a **** on China when this is over. The sooner the better.

So is the work the FDA does valuable or not? Should medical tests and medicines be proven to be accurate and medically sound? Should the manufacturing process for those medicines, tests, and devices be validated and audited? If not, this and medicines that cause birth defects are the result.

Deleted member 2897

We are now testing 100,000 PER DAY for COVID-19. Big League.

We’re at 101,000 cases now.

GT_EE78

Banned
South Korea, who went linear a couple weeks ago and has been averaging about 100 new cases per day, has continued along that path for weeks, unable to put an end to it. Still, that's probably the goal, a moderate predictable regular increase. That would be like 500 new cases a day here in the US over and over. We'd surely love to have something like that right now.
Since South Korea seems to be the only one with reliable data who has "flattened their curve" and relied heavily on 100% wearing masks , I'd sure feel better if everyone could purchase masks before they start unwinding stay at home orders.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
So is the work the FDA does valuable or not? Should medical tests and medicines be proven to be accurate and medically sound? Should the manufacturing process for those medicines, tests, and devices be validated and audited? If not, this and medicines that cause birth defects are the result.
Yes, it is. This disease is bad, but it isn't pneumatic plague. We have to be sure we don't do more damage with a vaccine then good - and that very well could happen if we aren't careful.

However, we probably will start using the vaccine after Phase 3 trials and then look at how effective it is. Most vaccines in regular use today never really went through rigorous field trials. The exception = the two polio vaccines.

Deleted member 2897

Cuomo admitted in an interview with Lester Holt on the world news tonight that he doesn’t need 40,000 ventilators. Or 30,000, or 10,000, or even 5,000. His words, he was asked directly about his request. He said he hopes he never needs anything even close to that. He was trying to stay ahead of the curve. Well fine. But when we’re supply limited, you don’t ask the government to send it’s entire emergency reserve of 20,000 ventilators to New York City so you can hoard them when you don’t need them and then complain when they say no. Sad.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yes, it is. This disease is bad, but it isn't pneumatic plague. We have to be sure we don't do more damage with a vaccine then good - and that very well could happen if we aren't careful.

However, we probably will start using the vaccine after Phase 3 trials and then look at how effective it is. Most vaccines in regular use today never really went through rigorous field trials. The exception = the two polio vaccines.

I posted my comment because people complain that the FDA is just a roadblock to companies getting things like tests into the public. Then as things are relaxed and suspect tests get into the market complain that the tests aren't up to spec. There is a balance. If you test and validate to 100% certainty, necessary products will never hit the market. If you don't test and validate, then lots of bad product will get out. Too many people don't understand that. They scream when testing and validation take too long and demand product immediately. Then they complain when the immediate product isn't 100% tested, validated, and functional.

I am posting a link to a FB post by an Italian-American author about the virus outbreak in Italy. Of course, it is just one man's opinion, but it is a POWERFUL opinion. I think the link below will only take you to a FB page with several entries by the man. If so, then look for "Recipe for Disaster" dated March 15. If that doesn't work, I am also posting a non-FB link to it.

First the FB link -- https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=giacomino nicolazzo&epa=SEARCH_BOX

And a non-FB link (no idea how it got on a Yellowstone page...LOL) -- http://www.greater-yellowstone.com/2020-articles/Message-from-Italy.html

At any rate, this is a very insightful article on Italy and the virus. How much of it is true, I don't know, but I imagine that most of it is. Here is a link to his bio, if you want to know something about him --
https://www.giacominonicolazzo.com/bio

GT_EE78

Banned
Cuomo admitted in an interview with Lester Holt on the world news tonight that he doesn’t need 40,000 ventilators. Or 30,000, or 10,000, or even 5,000. His words, he was asked directly about his request. He said he hopes he never needs anything even close to that. He was trying to stay ahead of the curve. Well fine. But when we’re supply limited, you don’t ask the government to send it’s entire emergency reserve of 20,000 ventilators to New York City so you can hoard them when you don’t need them and then complain when they say no. Sad.
now he admits to having his own stockpile..what a scuzzy one https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...stockpile-of-thousands-of-unused-ventilators/ . Isn't this the same bonehead who said up to 80% of his residents could get infected? how irresponsible is that? (Italy and Spain are at about 0.2% for comparison) Dr Birx spoke about some of the nutty things people were saying and modelling..
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...s-away-from-doomsday-coronavirus-predictions/

slugboy

Staff member
Some recent articles by the "experts"

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...claim-more-data-needed-to-know-mortality-rate

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...irus-death-projection-in-uk-remains-unchanged

Bottom line is that the estimates and opinions remain all over the map. Stanford states:
“A universal quarantine may not be worth the costs it imposes on the economy, community and individual mental and physical health,” the article concluded.
and more....
“On March 6, all 3,300 people of Vò were tested, and 90 were positive, a prevalence of 2.7%,” the professors said. “Applying that prevalence to the whole province (population 955,000), which had 198 reported cases, suggests there were actually 26,000 infections at that time. That’s more than 130-fold the number of actual reported cases. Since Italy’s case fatality rate of 8% is estimated using the confirmed cases, the real fatality rate could in fact be closer to 0.06%.”

From the UK studies:
Ferguson, who tested positive for the coronavirus, said Wednesday the coronavirus death toll is unlikely to exceed 20,000 and could be much lower if lockdown measures in the U.K. stay in place, noting that he is “reasonably confident” that the health system can handle the burden of treating coronavirus patients.
He had previously projected over 500,000 deaths and still believes that figure of NO measures were taken to combat the outbreak.

Ferguson provided a range of estimates and models based on a variety of factors. The 500k number was the worst case scenario, and was tied to Great Britain not doing social distancing or isolation. Adopting stricter policies puts them into a different trajectory in line with the cases and deaths they’re currently seeing (https://reason.com/2020/03/27/no-br...his-worst-case-projection-of-covid-19-deaths/)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Anybody know if the $200 per mo will be added to everyone's social security for about a year and a half, and one time it was said that $1200 for 2 mos. instead of 1.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I was basing my guess that it would be taxed on the fact that SS is taxed
Yes I am asking about the $200 that will come that dept. over 18 mos. I do believe it will be treated just like my regular soc sec check. That was announced on tv 2-3 days ago. Also at the same time it was stated that everyone who gets the $1200 would get 2 of e'm. If anyone knows for sure about it please pass this on to us! Thanks in advance!

Yes I am asking about the $200 that will come that dept. over 18 mos. I do believe it will be treated just like my regular soc sec check. That was announced on tv 2-3 days ago. Also at the same time it was stated that everyone who gets the $1200 would get 2 of e'm. If anyone knows for sure about it please pass this on to us! Thanks in advance!
I have only heard one check, but who knows?

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I have only heard one check, but who knows?
I know I am old and stupid, but know that is what I heard LOL. The person said those checks would start in June or July and through 2021. The second $1200 would follow the first one in April until May. Thanks for your replies! Also this phase 4 which was signed today might have followed 3 other phases and that is something I can't find. If anyone can dig this up as it is truth or false I heap praise on you or y,all!!

Status
Not open for further replies.