Coronavirus Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think that is completely false. We don’t have the capacity in our hospitals for this. So all kinds of people could die who shouldn’t, and many people will be much worse off than they should have been. We are also hearing stories of possible permanent lung damage in some cases.
Ah, that is a valid point......certainly short term.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Stimulus checks not expected "until at least May".
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/25/politics/senate-deal-stimulus-checks-coronavirus/index.html

Why? Because there is so much pork in the bill related to all kinds of random other things, that they're not able to focus resources on the things that really do matter.

So sad.
Ah. Speaking of pork, see:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/business/coronavirus-real-estate-investors-stimulus.html

But, of course, that's pork for rich people. And IOKIYAR.

Ah. Speaking of pork, see:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/business/coronavirus-real-estate-investors-stimulus.html

But, of course, that's pork for rich people. And IOKIYAR.

Are you sure this will only offset losses by wealthy tycoons, or would this also benefit many businesses who employ lots of people helping to save jobs after this virus settles down?

Having said that, I think this should be handled in a separate tax bill and not buried in this bill with the rest of the garbage.

Deleted member 2897

Drama on the Hill. The House still hasn’t voted, and there’s a question as to whether enough Congressmen can travel back today to vote on the Senate bill.

Also, for people who have filed taxes via direct deposit, estimates are once the bill is signed that you might get paid in a month. For those who don’t have direct deposit set up, it could take 2 months to get paid. All this is way too slow. But I guess better than nothing.

Deleted member 2897

Spain bought $500m of test kits and ventilators and supplies from China. They found out a lot of it came from companies not certified and faulty. Now they’re stuck having to test each item before use, making the situation even worse.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
Drama on the Hill. The House still hasn’t voted, and there’s a question as to whether enough Congressmen can travel back today to vote on the Senate bill.

Also, for people who have filed taxes via direct deposit, estimates are once the bill is signed that you might get paid in a month. For those who don’t have direct deposit set up, it could take 2 months to get paid. All this is way too slow. But I guess better than nothing.
All because of one Republican member. The issue isn't whether they CAN travel back, because they can. It's whether this one guy is going to force them all to come back, congregate together just to verbally yell out their vote.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ex...ote-on-largest-stimulus-package-in-us-history

Deleted member 2897

All because of one Republican member. The issue isn't whether they CAN travel back, because they can. It's whether this one guy is going to force them all to come back, congregate together just to verbally yell out their vote.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ex...ote-on-largest-stimulus-package-in-us-history

I understand his concerns. There’s too much unrelated bull**** in the bill. But I think at this point the right move is to pass it, THEN go on a scorched earth campaign to publish and attack those who put all the garbage in the bill during a global pandemic.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
He’s right. A single hospital doesn’t need 40,000 ventilators. I heard multiple NBC News health experts like Dr John Torres back him up this morning. That’s hoarding.
I'm pretty sure no one has called for 40,000 ventilators to go to one hospital

I understand his concerns. There’s too much unrelated bull**** in the bill. But I think at this point the right move is to pass it, THEN go on a scorched earth campaign to publish and attack those who put all the garbage in the bill during a global pandemic.

Really surprised that Congress hasn't figured out remote voting during times of crises such as these.

Deleted member 2897

I'm pretty sure no one has called for 40,000 ventilators to go to one hospital

Well in 5 minutes we’ve gone from criticizing him for stiffing hospitals to saying it wasn’t true in the first place. Imagine what life is like being on the phone multiple times a day with thousands of hospitals, trying to balance what they need. Then imagine people playing games like this - accusing them of something, then accusing them of exaggerating on what they were accusing them of. Sad. It’s hard to manage 2 pandemics much less 1.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
He’s right. A single hospital doesn’t need 40,000 ventilators. I heard multiple NBC News health experts like Dr John Torres back him up this morning. That’s hoarding.
Don't be like that. Cuomo has asked for 30-40000 for the entire state, not one hospital.

Deleted member 2897

Don't be like that. Cuomo has asked for 30-40000 for the entire state, not one hospital.

They don’t need that many for the entire state either. That’s hoarding. He may need them a month from now. If you suck the whole supply out, other hospitals who do need them right now can’t get them.

Deleted member 2897

We have a shortage. It’s important when that’s the case that you get supplies to people when they need it. If we give 40,000 to Cuomo right now, then other areas won’t be able to have them when they need them. It’s a difficult balancing act. It doesn’t help when people panic and hoard supplies.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
We have a shortage. It’s important when that’s the case that you get supplies to people when they need it. If we give 40,000 to Cuomo right now, then other areas won’t be able to have them when they need them. It’s a difficult balancing act. It doesn’t help when people panic and hoard supplies.

If you're going to need 40,000 ventilators and they don't exist then you need to get the ball rolling now. It's called being proactive.

Status
Not open for further replies.