Conference Realignment

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The ACC and other conferences will absolutely vote with the SEC/BIG to change the format on who gets into the playoffs. Why? Because they always do and the guys in charge all want future jobs in big boy football. You think Jim Phillips will vote against his daddy, the BIG? You think a guy like JBatt will try and stop that vote and kill his career? The ACC should and needs to die and Swofford will have his name on the headstone. Let’s just hope Cabrera is doing more than lip service behind the scenes to get us in the BIG.
Wow, you have unresolved ACC issues. Are you bought off as easily as you imply Phillips and Bratt will be?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Please due not reply to my post mr orient.

To anyone else - what do u think?

If NFL comes out of wokeness and games are fast, they could draw bigger tv eyrballs which could suck money from collge ball.
The NFL draws 95+ of the top 200 watched TV shows every year. They crush college football in TV viewership.

The CFP Championship was a mere 100 million viewers short of the Super Bowl. But sure the NFL doesn’t know what it’s doing. Good grief.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Yes, the ACC is arguing that it is not a penalty because FSU has the option to attempt to repurchase their media rights. If that option doesn't actually exist and the ACC has no intention of letting them repurchase then this entire argument from the motion to dismiss is null and void. Surely you can see that right?

You are arguing with alot of emotion on this topic. Alot of what you are saying doesn't make much sense. You can't say words matter and then argue words don't matter. I would personally suggest letting go of whatever grudge you have against FSU. If some of their legal complaint looks emotionally charged to you then you should take a step back and ask yourself is it actually emotionally charged or am I having an emotional reaction based on my personal feeling for FSU. Maybe it will bring some clarity.

If you personally believe that a complaint filed by the general counsel of a major university and one of the biggest lawfirms in the country is sloppy, shouting, etc.. Along with all of the other hyperbole you have spouted while you admit yourself that you are not a lawyer and have no legal expertise then maybe its time to back up a bit and maybe accept that your judgement might be a little clouded.
So yesterday it was sunny and 85 degrees and you sold me your jacket.
Today it’s 40 and raining and you want your jacket back.

You make very compelling arguments…. I’m old and fat and the jacket is far too small for me. It’s a younger man’s style and it doesn’t even cover me completely. It looks so much better on you and would actually keep you COMPLETELY warm and dry. On me, it doesn’t zip and the arms are too short. For heavens sake, it even has your name on the chest!

All of your arguements about the jacket are logical, true, and mostly irrefutable. They are also 100% irrelevant because I own the jacket and I’m not willing to sell. I might sell tomorrow. I could possibly be persuaded to sell today, but certainly not for what I paid you yesterday… especially when it’s so cold and rainy.

You claim the jacket is worth SOOO much to you now, and you have to have it back. Since it was yours to begin with, my reluctance to sell it back is obviously punitive. Yet you want it back for less than what you claim it’s worth and for FAR less than what it’s worth to ME.

You really need to go to the store too, but you can’t go outside because it’s cold and rainy and you don’t have a jacket. If you can’t go the store, you might starve to death… and all because you don’t have a jacket! The decision you made yesterday is now my fault because I bought your jacket for a fair price?

On top of that, you say there is a guy around the corner who may be willing to pay both of us even more for the jacket? Interesting… but no thanks. I’m warm and dry… mostly.

IMG_8514.gif

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Wow, you have unresolved ACC issues. Are you bought off as easily as you imply Phillips and Bratt will be?
You are darn right I do and so should every Georgia Tech fan and alum. Yes, the ACC gave us a lifeline when we needed it 45 years ago. To that, I say thanks to all the dead guys that made that happen. But since, they have done nothing for my school. In fact, at every turn where we had momentum our own conference would stifle us because we aren’t a shade of blue. Letting everyone have a bye before they played us was Swofford at his finest. The ACC is a trashly run league that has become the butt of nationwide jokes. When your undefeated champion gets left out of a playoff so 2 teams with 1 loss get in tells you all you need to know about the word respect. Just let this thing die already because it’s already dead. You’ll see it again in a few weeks when the tourney bids go out and we have teams sitting at home. You’ll see it isn’t a Jordan Travis issue. It’s a rigged system issue and Phillips is too busy cutting Sankey’s grass and cleaning his pool to do a darn thing about it.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
You are darn right I do and so should every Georgia Tech fan and alum. Yes, the ACC gave us a lifeline when we needed it 45 years ago. To that, I say thanks to all the dead guys that made that happen. But since, they have done nothing for my school. In fact, at every turn where we had momentum our own conference would stifle us because we aren’t a shade of blue. Letting everyone have a bye before they played us was Swofford at his finest. The ACC is a trashly run league that has become the butt of nationwide jokes. When your undefeated champion gets left out of a playoff so 2 teams with 1 loss get in tells you all you need to know about the word respect. Just let this thing die already because it’s already dead. You’ll see it again in a few weeks when the tourney bids go out and we have teams sitting at home. You’ll see it isn’t a Jordan Travis issue. It’s a rigged system issue and Phillips is too busy cutting Sankey’s grass and cleaning his pool to do a darn thing about it.
For all the folks on this board who swear by the analytics the ACC in NET rankings, which is the metrics system the NCAAT selection committee uses is not a good conference. UNC, Duke, Clemson and UNC are the only teams in conference with winning records against Quad 1 & 2 teams. All of them have losses against Quad 3 teams, thank you GT for 3 of those losses.

I expect the ACC to get UNC, Duke, Clemson and UVA in this year's NCAAT unless very strange things happen the last 6-7 games and the ACCT. Wake and NCST are both 4-9 in Quad 1 & 2 games. That is bubble at best.

ACC basketball has really gone down as an overall conference the past 5-6 years, There are still one or two elite teams every year but there is not a large group of very good teams anymore. It's sad.

As to the byes before teams played CPJ's football team, the ACC policy was teams could request specific bye dates prior to the full schedule release. Several teams requested byes before playing GT. Smart on their part. It took GT years before the GTAA complained to the ACC and when GT finally did, the ACC changed that policy. That was on GT not the ACC!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
So yesterday it was sunny and 85 degrees and you sold me your jacket.
Today it’s 40 and raining and you want your jacket back.

You make very compelling arguments…. I’m old and fat and the jacket is far too small for me. It’s a younger man’s style and it doesn’t even cover me completely. It looks so much better on you and would actually keep you COMPLETELY warm and dry. On me, it doesn’t zip and the arms are too short. For heavens sake, it even has your name on the chest!

All of your arguements about the jacket are logical, true, and mostly irrefutable. They are also 100% irrelevant because I own the jacket and I’m not willing to sell. I might sell tomorrow. I could possibly be persuaded to sell today, but certainly not for what I paid you yesterday… especially when it’s so cold and rainy.

You claim the jacket is worth SOOO much to you now, and you have to have it back. Since it was yours to begin with, my reluctance to sell it back is obviously punitive. Yet you want it back for less than what you claim it’s worth and for FAR less than what it’s worth to ME.

You really need to go to the store too, but you can’t go outside because it’s cold and rainy and you don’t have a jacket. If you can’t go the store, you might starve to death… and all because you don’t have a jacket! The decision you made yesterday is now my fault because I bought your jacket for a fair price?

On top of that, you say there is a guy around the corner who may be willing to pay both of us even more for the jacket? Interesting… but no thanks. I’m warm and dry… mostly.

View attachment 15753
And as the maxim goes, possession is nine-tenths of the law.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
For all the folks on this board who swear by the analytics the ACC in NET rankings, which is the metrics system the NCAAT selection committee uses is not a good conference. UNC, Duke, Clemson and UNC are the only teams in conference with winning records against Quad 1 & 2 teams. All of them have losses against Quad 3 teams, thank you GT for 3 of those losses.

I expect the ACC to get UNC, Duke, Clemson and UVA in this year's NCAAT unless very strange things happen the last 6-7 games and the ACCT. Wake and NCST are both 4-9 in Quad 1 & 2 games. That is bubble at best.

ACC basketball has really gone down as an overall conference the past 5-6 years, There are still one or two elite teams every year but there is not a large group of very good teams anymore. It's sad.

As to the byes before teams played CPJ's football team, the ACC policy was teams could request specific bye dates prior to the full schedule release. Several teams requested byes before playing GT. Smart on their part. It took GT years before the GTAA complained to the ACC and when GT finally did, the ACC changed that policy. That was on GT not the ACC!
I understand all that. But isn’t a league commissioners office suppose to treat everyone fairly? Did GT have access to everyone’s bye week list? I highly doubt it. So the commissioners office gets the requests and see that 6 teams request a bye before GT and they do nothing about it? That’s my point, the ACC has NEVER and will NEVER care about GT.

As for hoops, I agree. The ACC is a shell of itself because the ACC does not promote its schools and has let the SEC control the narrative for high level players. The ACC is fine with Duke/UNC being the face of the conference but they hire lawyers to go after FSU (who is still a member). The conference is dead so just let it die. And like I often ask, has anyone seen any type of statement from Phillips on anything? Was he at our game yesterday shining a light on 2 programs who could use it? Nope.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I understand all that. But isn’t a league commissioners office suppose to treat everyone fairly? Did GT have access to everyone’s bye week list? I highly doubt it. So the commissioners office gets the requests and see that 6 teams request a bye before GT and they do nothing about it? That’s my point, the ACC has NEVER and will NEVER care about GT.

As for hoops, I agree. The ACC is a shell of itself because the ACC does not promote its schools and has let the SEC control the narrative for high level players. The ACC is fine with Duke/UNC being the face of the conference but they hire lawyers to go after FSU (who is still a member). The conference is dead so just let it die. And like I often ask, has anyone seen any type of statement from Phillips on anything? Was he at our game yesterday shining a light on 2 programs who could use it? Nope.
Actually it was GT's responsibility to bring up the bye issue. And there were never years that 6 teams had byes before playing GT. UNC had the most years, around four as I recall and generally it was 2 or 3 teams that had byes and that includes the Thursday night games we played near annually.

Why would Phillips be at a GT-Cuse game? He should have been concerned with the Wake-UVA and the NCST-Clemson games as all those teams have an NCAAT shot.

The risk of the ACC dying is that GT becomes a NON Power Conference team. That is real and would kill GT sports.

slugboy

Staff member
Actually it was GT's responsibility to bring up the bye issue. And there were never years that 6 teams had byes before playing GT. UNC had the most years, around four as I recall and generally it was 2 or 3 teams that had byes and that includes the Thursday night games we played near annually.

Why would Phillips be at a GT-Cuse game? He should have been concerned with the Wake-UVA and the NCST-Clemson games as all those teams have an NCAAT shot.

The risk of the ACC dying is that GT becomes a NON Power Conference team. That is real and would kill GT sports.
Washington State and Oregon State are good examples. They were two of the better teams in the PAC 12 last season, and they’re out in the cold for next season. A lot of teams like us could be in the same boat.

Speaking of boats, the ACC seems like a lot of teams that are in a lifeboat, and they’re willing and lean towards pushing their co-passengers right over the side, instead of bailing and plugging leaks.

——-

Back to the original thread
  • FSU leaving but not taking their media rights with them is like selling a house in Oklahoma with an oil well in the back, but not owning the mineral rights—the house is a ton less valuable. That happens in real life. If it holds for FSU, their value is a lot less—it just is.
  • FSU can leave, but the argument is that it’s financially stupid. That happens in business.
  • That something is financially brutal doesn’t mean it’s an invalid contract. Fifteen years ago, many people owed more on their houses than they were worth. People come out on the negative side of investments.
  • Maybe FSU gets out of the contracts. It happens. It seems unlikely based on their arguments so far.
  • About a decade ago, Maryland left and took a financial bath on their way out. So far, I’m not sure it worked out that well for them. Maryland didn’t have to pay everything that was in the contract. The ACC membership drafted a stronger contract. Maybe FSU doesn’t pay “full freight”, but it seems like they’ll pay a lot.
  • It seems like people put a lot of their hopes into their perspectives here. I still don’t see the path to a FSU victory, unless it’s through attrition. I’m not even sure how they define victory

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
This has been rumored for a LONG time now. Other ACC schools have had similar discussions with the B1G (SEE: UNC, UVA...possibly GT/Miami).

FSU is just the only school willing to put their heads above the firing line and catch the bullets. FSU is dumb, but their desperation hail mary through the courts is motivated by something B1G at the end of the tunnel.

Drama Peek GIF

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The notion that the ACC is offering to negotiate is wishful thinking by FSU fanboys and college sports websites hoping to increase clicks and subs. The idea that the ACC would sell the very contract that keeps the ACC together during all this realignment is far fetched, at best. And, these same people think that since the ESPN contract pays $x to the ACC for the next 12 years and each college gets a share means the price would be 12 times one share. That is naivete in full force.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
The notion that the ACC is offering to negotiate is wishful thinking by FSU fanboys and college sports websites hoping to increase clicks and subs. The idea that the ACC would sell the very contract that keeps the ACC together during all this realignment is far fetched, at best. And, these same people think that since the ESPN contract pays $x to the ACC for the next 12 years and each college gets a share means the price would be 12 times one share. That is naivete in full force.
Also… most people read “ACC” as if it is a single entity capable of negotiating such an exit. The “ACC” in terms of the GOR is the ACC and the 15 member institutions who are a part of it.
The GOR is designed to prevent a school (or schools) from leaving. It requires unanimous consent of 16 entities to put this in motion. No way those 16 are coming to the table for anything close to face value, if they come to the table at all.

slugboy

Staff member
Also… most people read “ACC” as if it is a single entity capable of negotiating such an exit. The “ACC” in terms of the GOR is the ACC and the 15 member institutions who are a part of it.
The GOR is designed to prevent a school (or schools) from leaving. It requires unanimous consent of 16 entities to put this in motion. No way those 16 are coming to the table for anything close to face value, if they come to the table at all.
FSU claims their rights are more valuable. If they paid $60 mil per year for their media rights, it would be about a fair deal. FSU is saying they are a valuable enough property that they should get a full share in the Big10–that’s $60 million per year. That sets the market price for their media rights.
It also means that there’s no financial benefit for FSU moving conferences. But, that tells you it’s a fair price.
Those rights would be expected to increase over time, so the payments should too.

Anyway “fair price for the media rights” ==“not worth moving”, pretty much by definition

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The ACC blatantly says in a legal document that a member can attempt to buy back their rights. A well known sports writer makes the not so big jump that the ACC might be open to a member attempting to buy back their rights. GTSwarm: It's wishful thinking and far fetched to think the ACC might consider allowing a member to attempt to buy back their rights.