Conference Realignment

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
You skipped over the word "attempt". FSU can "attempt" to purchase their rights. The ACC filling does not say that the ACC would agree to sell them.

The entire purpose of the GOR is to make it financially difficult to leave the conference. FSU understood that and signed the contract twice. You can't back it if a contract just because you don't like it any more. It has been more than ten years since they first signed the contract, so they can't even reasonably argue that they didn't understand when they signed it. You can give up your rights by signing a contract. Many consumer contacts have arbitration clause that say you cannot sure the business in a court, but have to use binding arbitration. Courts uphold that very frequently, both for businesses and consumers.
Saying in your motion to dismiss that FSU can attempt to repurchase their media rights and then immediately shutting down any attempts to repurchase their media rights doesn't seem like the best legal strategy.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I’m pretty sure there are actual lawyers here, or at least people with pretty intensive contract law knowledge, punching holes in your arguments and you continue to double, triple, and quadruple down.

Mma Reaction Pack GIF by UFC

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
There's a report button underneath the messages. If you feel a post breaks the rules, hit that button and send it to us for moderation.

Right about here...
............. ⬇️
I will remember that. I just hope the moderators will not selectively decide which posts they feel like flagging as insults based on their own personal feelings.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Saying in your motion to dismiss that FSU can attempt to repurchase their media rights and then immediately shutting down any attempts to repurchase their media rights doesn't seem like the best legal strategy.
Words matter. "Attempt" to purchase didn't indicate that it would be successful. Remember, this is in response to FSU calling this a "penalty". The ACC is pointing out that it is a property ownership and commercial transaction instead of a "penalty". They are not giving any indication of what the response to any "attempt" would be. They are simply pointing out that the GOR is not legally part of the ACC withdrawal process and is not a withdrawal fee.

You use hyperbolic language regarding negotiating for the sale of the rights back to FSU. Has anyone indicated that the ACC would "immediately shut down any attempts", or is that your attempt to make is an emotional discussion instead of a logical discussion?

I encourage you to actually read the FSU complaint and this ACC response for yourself. You will see that the FSU complaint is filled with emotionally charged words like you are using. The ACC response is filled with references to the language in the contracts, the definitions of those words and phrases that are defined in the contract, and the application of laws related to those contacts and FSU's complaint. I said before that lawsuit are won based on laws and court precedents as they relate to the transactions and contacts. Lawsuits are not win by shouting the loudest. So far, FSU is shouting a lot, but hasn't made many, if any, compelling logical legal arguments.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Words matter. "Attempt" to purchase didn't indicate that it would be successful. Remember, this is in response to FSU calling this a "penalty". The ACC is pointing out that it is a property ownership and commercial transaction instead of a "penalty". They are not giving any indication of what the response to any "attempt" would be. They are simply pointing out that the GOR is not legally part of the ACC withdrawal process and is not a withdrawal fee.

You use hyperbolic language regarding negotiating for the sale of the rights back to FSU. Has anyone indicated that the ACC would "immediately shut down any attempts", or is that your attempt to make is an emotional discussion instead of a logical discussion?

I encourage you to actually read the FSU complaint and this ACC response for yourself. You will see that the FSU complaint is filled with emotionally charged words like you are using. The ACC response is filled with references to the language in the contracts, the definitions of those words and phrases that are defined in the contract, and the application of laws related to those contacts and FSU's complaint. I said before that lawsuit are won based on laws and court precedents as they relate to the transactions and contacts. Lawsuits are not win by shouting the loudest. So far, FSU is shouting a lot, but hasn't made many, if any, compelling logical legal arguments.
Yes, the ACC is arguing that it is not a penalty because FSU has the option to attempt to repurchase their media rights. If that option doesn't actually exist and the ACC has no intention of letting them repurchase then this entire argument from the motion to dismiss is null and void. Surely you can see that right?

You are arguing with alot of emotion on this topic. Alot of what you are saying doesn't make much sense. You can't say words matter and then argue words don't matter. I would personally suggest letting go of whatever grudge you have against FSU. If some of their legal complaint looks emotionally charged to you then you should take a step back and ask yourself is it actually emotionally charged or am I having an emotional reaction based on my personal feeling for FSU. Maybe it will bring some clarity.

If you personally believe that a complaint filed by the general counsel of a major university and one of the biggest lawfirms in the country is sloppy, shouting, etc.. Along with all of the other hyperbole you have spouted while you admit yourself that you are not a lawyer and have no legal expertise then maybe its time to back up a bit and maybe accept that your judgement might be a little clouded.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
FSU is building a war chest of alumni money to be ready when tv guys( in response to advertisers ) say its time for a change. They have proven head coach, are reloading thru portal VIA GIANT NIL, will be in first game of season, blah, blah.

I think this law suit stuff is a signal to tv guys that they will do what it takes to be first out of acc. Just call and we will make a scene FOR OTHERS ACC TO JOIN.

Nothing will be derived thru the court. Only the damages and attorney fees will be decided.

The Big 12 , Pac 12 fell apart slowly slowly then quickly. Imo , the same slow thing is happening w ACC. ACC adding some historic schools in major cities is part of the slowly. Espn etc are slowly finding out that there is less money from advertisers FOR CRUMMY GAMES.

NEW QUESTION
Could NFL football coming back from woke to sanity be another - get real message to college footballs ancient of says ACC elitist?

For first time in 7 years I watched NFL playoffs and super bowl. I totally enjoyed the games. The commercials were ok. I did not feel lectured!!!!!

NFL coming BACK is taking more $ out of TV.

L

Last edited:

gtbb

Georgia Tech Fan
But it will be a long time before that happens. A lot can change in 7-8-9-10 years.
I would not assume that it will take that long. I mean, it could take that long. But if they raise the money, it might happen a lot quicker.

I'm not rooting for FSU to leave the ACC. I'd like them to stay, and for the ACC to remain as-is. But it just doesn't seem likely at this point.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
FSU is building a war chest of alumni money to be ready when tv guys( in response to advertisers ) say its time for a change. They have proven head coach, are reloading thru portal VIA GIANT NIL, will be in first game of season, blah, blah.

I think this law suit stuff is a signal to tv guys that they will do what it takes to be first out of acc. Just call and we will make a scene FOR OTHERS ACC TO JOIN.

Nothing will be derived thru the court. Only the damages and attorney fees will be decided.

The Big 12 , Pac 12 fell apart slowly slowly then quickly. Imo , the same slow thing is happening w ACC. ACC adding some historic schools in major cities is part of the slowly. Espn etc are slowly finding out that there is less money from advertisers FOR CRUMMY GAMES.

NEW QUESTION
Could NFL football coming back from woke to sanity be another - get real message to college footballs ancient of says ACC elitist?

For first time in 7 years I watched NFL playoffs and super bowl. I totally enjoyed the games. The commercials were ok. I did not feel lectured!!!!!

NFL coming BACK is taking more $ out of TV.

L
Almost 360 pages and this is the most puzzling post. I am sure there is someone here who can refute this. But it ain't me!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Please due not reply to my post mr orient.

To anyone else - what do u think?

If NFL comes out of wokeness and games are fast, they could draw bigger tv eyrballs which could suck money from collge ball.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yes, the ACC is arguing that it is not a penalty because FSU has the option to attempt to repurchase their media rights. If that option doesn't actually exist and the ACC has no intention of letting them repurchase then this entire argument from the motion to dismiss is null and void. Surely you can see that right?

You are arguing with alot of emotion on this topic. Alot of what you are saying doesn't make much sense. You can't say words matter and then argue words don't matter. I would personally suggest letting go of whatever grudge you have against FSU. If some of their legal complaint looks emotionally charged to you then you should take a step back and ask yourself is it actually emotionally charged or am I having an emotional reaction based on my personal feeling for FSU. Maybe it will bring some clarity.

If you personally believe that a complaint filed by the general counsel of a major university and one of the biggest lawfirms in the country is sloppy, shouting, etc.. Along with all of the other hyperbole you have spouted while you admit yourself that you are not a lawyer and have no legal expertise then maybe its time to back up a bit and maybe accept that your judgement might be a little clouded.
Words matter. Is it a penalty, or a commercial transaction? Not engaging in a commercial transaction is very different than punishing someone in a legal sense. It might be the same thing from a moral perspective, but morals and feelings don't generally apply to contract law. Laws and words in contacts are what matter.

Let me know which of my posts contain hyperbole and emotion. I can ensure you that my heart doesn't change bpms while I read the legal fillings, nor when I discuss it. I have addressed reasons that a law firm might submit faulty arguments to the court previously. I don't understand why you keep shifting away from discussing the facts of the case, the law, and the logic of arguments and revert to emotional statements. I would readily admit that my conclusions could be off since I do not have a law degree or experience in contract lawsuits. However, you have not been presenting any legal or logical counterpoints, only emotion.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

Ron, you typed a half dozen times that you’re not an attorney, yet you are arguing as if you are. Can others have differing opinions?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Ron, you typed a half dozen times that you’re not an attorney, yet you are arguing as if you are. Can others have differing opinions?
Most certainly. If anyone wants to point out flaws in the ACC bylaws or the GOR, or laws that support FSU I welcome that. I'm fact, I would very much appreciate someone helping me understand the logic of FSU's arguments. Not the emotions behind it, but the logic and laws. If someone wants to say that they don't feel as though the GOR is fair, then say that. Everyone is entitled to feel however they want to feel. I have just been arguing that someone's emotional feelings about what should be fair or not don't dispute my arguments about the logic of the fillings. Nobody should believe that the law says something just because they feel that is the way the law should be. That is how sovereign citizens act.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Most certainly. If anyone wants to point out flaws in the ACC bylaws or the GOR, or laws that support FSU I welcome that. I'm fact, I would very much appreciate someone helping me understand the logic of FSU's arguments. Not the emotions behind it, but the logic and laws. If someone wants to say that they don't feel as though the GOR is fair, then say that. Everyone is entitled to feel however they want to feel. I have just been arguing that someone's emotional feelings about what should be fair or not don't dispute my arguments about the logic of the fillings. Nobody should believe that the law says something just because they feel that is the way the law should be. That is how sovereign citizens act.
I don’t necessarily disagree, but a full on hammer lock is a bit much. Opinions don’t have to be right. Every one doesn’t require a 5 paragraph refutation. Me, you, all the rest, can all toss a thought or two out there. None of us have it figured out.

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow
I would not assume that it will take that long. I mean, it could take that long. But if they raise the money, it might happen a lot quicker.

I'm not rooting for FSU to leave the ACC. I'd like them to stay, and for the ACC to remain as-is. But it just doesn't seem likely at this point.

We will know soon enough I suppose.
I don't really care one way or the other, except that I'm really sick & tired of FSU's posturing.

Whatever situation Tech winds up in I just want them to be competitive. P2, P4, whatever. Just win at the level where they play.