Conference Realignment

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
They did go 23 in a row without a loss from 51-53. Did have a tie in the 19th game, so didn't "win" 20 in a row.
OK this was before integration of athletes in the South. It was also when players generally didn't go or care about the NFL and were true student athletes. Slightly different model today

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
By state law, 10% of the budget comes from the school. That's why it's considered a public entity, thus subject to the open-records act. Once these AA's became separated from the University and are actually private entities leasing the school name, all kinds of shenanigans are going to happen because they reporters won't be able to get information like coaches' salaries, payments, etc.
According to the Knight database, in 2022, 5% of the total GTAA income was provided by "Institutional/Govt. support", with another 6% paid by GT student fees. A case can be made that the 5% is coming from taxpayers, but that's hardly enough to get riled up about in my opinion.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
According to the Knight database, in 2022, 5% of the total GTAA income was provided by "Institutional/Govt. support", with another 6% paid by GT student fees. A case can be made that the 5% is coming from taxpayers, but that's hardly enough to get riled up about in my opinion.
Goalposts just moved…

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
By state law, 10% of the budget comes from the school. That's why it's considered a public entity, thus subject to the open-records act. Once these AA's became separated from the University and are actually private entities leasing the school name, all kinds of shenanigans are going to happen because they reporters won't be able to get information like coaches' salaries, payments, etc.
It is regulation of the Regents instead of state law. Also, it doesn't require 10% of the budget come from the school. It restricts the contribution from the school and/or student fees to be no more than 10% of the overall budget. I didn't look the numbers up, but if I remember correctly the mutts get very little of their budget from the school or from student fees. Much less both percentage wise and dollar wise than GT does.

In the last numbers I saw, GT had almost 10% of the budget from the school and student fees. I believe it was more from student fees than from the school.

The athletic associations are separate, once again because of BOR regulations. However, they are not private and are subject to open records requests. Kirby Smart was able to get the law changed in Georgia a few years ago so that athletic associations have 90 days to respond to open records requests. They are still required to respond, but can wait 90 days before responding.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
To be honest, I couldn't remember if it was 5% or 10%. I was too lazy to look it up at the time.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It is regulation of the Regents instead of state law. Also, it doesn't require 10% of the budget come from the school. It restricts the contribution from the school and/or student fees to be no more than 10% of the overall budget. I didn't look the numbers up, but if I remember correctly the mutts get very little of their budget from the school or from student fees. Much less both percentage wise and dollar wise than GT does.

In the last numbers I saw, GT had almost 10% of the budget from the school and student fees. I believe it was more from student fees than from the school.

The athletic associations are separate, once again because of BOR regulations. However, they are not private and are subject to open records requests. Kirby Smart was able to get the law changed in Georgia a few years ago so that athletic associations have 90 days to respond to open records requests. They are still required to respond, but can wait 90 days before responding.
I understand all of this. It's nor really relevant to what I posted. Whether limited or required...bad choice of wording on my part...the point was taxpayer funds go to the AAs.

When some court makes a ruling that the student-athletes are employees of the AA, the universities will quickly divest themselves of the AA and then lease the facilities and branding to these private club teams. There's no way I see a university taking on the liability of these athletes actually being employees.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
They’re using dorms and facilities built for STUDENTS. Even if they never step foot in a classroom, GA taxpayers are subsidizing their football program.

In case this horse isn't quite beaten to death yet...
I took this discussion in the wrong direction by using GT's numbers. uga's AA lists a bit less than 3% from student fees, and none from Institutional/Govt. entities. So I ask again, how are they wasting taxpayer $ on the 59% of their football team that doesn't graduate?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
In case this horse isn't quite beaten to death yet...
I took this discussion in the wrong direction by using GT's numbers. uga's AA lists a bit less than 3% from student fees, and none from Institutional/Govt. entities. So I ask again, how are they wasting taxpayer $ on the 59% of their football team that doesn't graduate?
Buddy. Every building on campus besides the athletic buildings are funded at least partially by taxpayer funds. Every time a football player takes up space in a non-athletic building it’s wasting taxpayer funds.

Also, it doesn’t even matter. So why bother defending it so much? I really don’t care if they’re wasting money or not. They sure as hell aren’t benefiting the state anyway.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Call it marketing expenses and point to increased freshman applicants after sports team success?
I posted this a couple years ago. A local resident/acquaintance here in Oriental is the retired provost at Appalachian State. He said they had two significant increases (year over year) in freshman applications while he was there. The year after they beat Michigan and the year after they moved up to D1.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck

This website shows 6% from student fees, 5% from "institutional support".

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
FSU without all the guys sitting out could keep either Michigan or Alabama to a 20-13 game. And their 3rd string QB is as good as the guys playing in this game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Michigan about to put the "mighty" SEC to bed?

Absolutely terrible play calling on that last play.

You have one of the most dangerous QBs in CFB, and you basically gave him a one option play up the middle instead of giving him a run pass option and giving Milroe the ability to use his legs as the 3rd option.

GT fans...look at what Faulkner did with King against UGA. People like to say "there's levels to this", and Faulkner's offensive acumen is on a different level.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Absolutely terrible play calling on that last play.

You have one of the most dangerous QBs in CFB, and you basically gave him a one option play up the middle instead of giving him a run pass option and giving Milroe the ability to use his legs as the 3rd option.

GT fans...look at what Faulkner did with King against UGA. People like to say "there's levels to this", and Faulkner's offensive acumen is on a different level.
I agree. Let your best athletes have the opportunity to make plays.