Conference Realignment

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
There are games today that I would definitely watch if they were part of the playoffs. But its going to be 60 degrees and sunny today in eastern NC. My two granddaughters are going to the beach with me and we're having lunch at El's Drive-in. El's was started in 1959 and it is pretty much unchanged after almost 65 years. The treat for these two girls will be genuine chocolate milk shakes. The shrimp burgers with locally caught shrimp are also good.

I will read about the games later.
A day much better spent.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
There are games today that I would definitely watch if they were part of the playoffs. But its going to be 60 degrees and sunny today in eastern NC. My two granddaughters are going to the beach with me and we're having lunch at El's Drive-in. El's was started in 1959 and it is pretty much unchanged after almost 65 years. The treat for these two girls will be genuine chocolate milk shakes. The shrimp burgers with locally caught shrimp are also good.

I will read about the games later.
I will check it out next time I go to Atlantic Beach.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This may have been addressed somewhere else, but I didn’t see it, so the mods can delete it if it’s repetitively redundant over and over again.
Per NCAA data, u(sic)ga’s Graduation Success Rate (GSR) for football players is dead last among:
  1. NCAA schools in Georgia
  2. The SEC (more than 30 points below the 2nd worst)
  3. All P5 teams
  4. and All FBS teams.
I will give them credit for the fact that out of 260 teams that play NCAA football at one level or another, they are not dead last. Their GSR is 259th.
Feels like from here on out, every time someone mentions uga’s rankings in a football poll, someone should say 259th.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
This may have been addressed somewhere else, but I didn’t see it, so the mods can delete it if it’s repetitively redundant over and over again.
Per NCAA data, u(sic)ga’s Graduation Success Rate (GSR) for football players is dead last among:
  1. NCAA schools in Georgia
  2. The SEC (more than 30 points below the 2nd worst)
  3. All P5 teams
  4. and All FBS teams.
I will give them credit for the fact that out of 260 teams that play NCAA football at one level or another, they are not dead last. Their GSR is 259th.
So you're saying that Kirby's pay is not tied to GSR?

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Can you imagine scheduling if this happened? The original reason for conferences was scheduling.
I think it is the biggest reason it could/will be done. The TV folks, who seem to be calling the shots want the best TV matchups for advertising $ during regular season which I'm sure also factors in other things as to why certain games bring the most eyes. The NFL does this now with their scheduling other than the home and home area matchups every year, I would expect the small pod system would be done in the college game.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Kirby's pitch to recruits is probably more like, you come here to play for championships. If you want to get a degree we have that too but not required.
Doubt it. His spin is more like, “if you are looking for a degree while you are here, you are in the wrong place. Here’s the portal…”

I mean, seriously—they just had a QB go to the NFL after six years on campus, with no degree earned during that time. Kirby is probably telling players, “if you waste time on classes, you won’t see the playing field.”

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Doubt it. His spin is more like, “if you are looking for a degree while you are here, you are in the wrong place. Here’s the portal…”

I mean, seriously—they just had a QB go to the NFL after six years on campus, with no degree earned during that time. Kirby is probably telling players, “if you waste time on classes, you won’t see the playing field.”

😬

• Georgia (54%) ranks dead last.

That's from 2022. Here's 2023:

Still... 😬

Georgia’s 41% mark into perspective, that placed 259th out of 260 Division I football programs

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
😬

Still... 😬

Georgia’s 41% mark into perspective, that placed 259th out of 260 Division I football programs

And the worst part about this statistic is that if you bring it up with a (u)GA fan, they’ll shrug and look at you as if you just criticized their team for not having an accordion as a standard part of the uniform.

L41k18

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it should be obvious that at the top layers of college football the education part has been mostly irrelevant for a long long long time.

We are the only country in the world that attaches an education requirement onto its top young athletes.

Related fun fact: The Big Ten (was less than 10 members at the time) protested vigorously when the NCAA decided to allow athletic scholarships. It (among other conferences) saw it as a direct violation of the spirit of "amatuerism". The SEC of course (including Ga Tech) was the one pushing for scholarships to be allowed.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
And the worst part about this statistic is that if you bring it up with a (u)GA fan, they’ll shrug and look at you as if you just criticized their team for not having an accordion as a standard part of the uniform.
That's what I have observed. We had that discussion during Christmas at a friends gathering. They don't really care as long as the team keeps winning.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
😬

Still... 😬

My goodness...UGA looks even worse when you chart it out:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I think it should be obvious that at the top layers of college football the education part has been mostly irrelevant for a long long long time.

We are the only country in the world that attaches an education requirement onto its top young athletes.

Related fun fact: The Big Ten (was less than 10 members at the time) protested vigorously when the NCAA decided to allow athletic scholarships. It (among other conferences) saw it as a direct violation of the spirit of "amatuerism". The SEC of course (including Ga Tech) was the one pushing for scholarships to be allowed.
We don’t force that, it a dadgum choice! When will you guys open your eyes? How many baseball players never see a college classroom. How many hockey players jump straight from juniors into and minor league club? There’s a D league route for basketball players if they don’t want college. Football doesn’t do this because so many like us would give our right nut for a good team. When that stops the NFL will create a D league, too.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
We don’t force that, it a dadgum choice! When will you guys open your eyes? How many baseball players never see a college classroom. How many hockey players jump straight from juniors into and minor league club? There’s a D league route for basketball players if they don’t want college. Football doesn’t do this because so many like us would give our right nut for a good team. When that stops the NFL will create a D league, too.
Football also doesn't do this due to NFL rules. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with NCAA football fans, but maybe it does.

ETA: When colleges start paying a lot of players more than the NFL does, perhaps we'll find out just how solid those rules are.