Conference Realignment

Hjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Much will depend on the judge - in civil trials, the judge has a lot of leeway in selecting the matters to be tried. I haven't read the filings(and don't plan to), but lawyers often throw in everything they can come up with and the judge gets to sort that out. I've read that this suit includes whining about the addition of the three western schools - especially SMU; since they didn't get a share(I have no idea why that's an issue). If they get a strict judge, I could see him tossing everything except the contract dispute. Then it becomes a)is the contract legal, b)did you sign it and c)why shouldn't you be held to its terms. IMO, in that event F$U is screwed.
I see this as a war of attrition with a settlement the goal of FSU. The on;y real argument I see is a “breach of contract” by the league allowing the other parties a right to terminate. If that gets past a summary judgement motion by the league, settlement becomes a possibility. But I a not a litigator nor would I want to be one.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Agreed that is a legit way of looking at it but from another view FSU was completely inept from an offensive perspective (unlike the OSU example from a few years back when they showed their O could still function in spite of going with a 3rd-string QB). So personally, I think FSU doomed themselves by not having a competent 3rd-string QB-led offense - they looked absolutely terrible (on O) from any objective perspective. Conference affiliation aside, FSU certainly did not look like a team that could compete with any of the top four who were picked. The CFP Committe made the right call based on how bad the FSU O looked w/o their 1st QB - and that's against a Louisville team who had just got smoked by a middling Kentucky team... While the decision sucked from an ACC fan view, the CFP Committe picked the legit top 4 - and OBTW, UGA should have been 5th - not FSU...
Humbug. A championship not earned on the field is not a championship. I’m not interested in beauty contests.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The argument for Alabama and Texas goes like this:

The committee had to pick Michigan and Washington because they were undefeated P5 champs. The committee had to pick Bama because they were from the SEC. And, since Texas beat Bama and will be in the SEC next year, they had to be in also. And, uga would also be in if Oregon had beaten Washington. They couldn't invite FSU because Tallahassee has a crappy little airport and no really good barbeque. And, Mike Norvell used to be the coach at Memphis for Christ sake. He probably can't even spell SEC.
In a weird way, this ends up being the definitive last word on what is otherwise an inexplicable choice by the playoff committee.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Agreed that is a legit way of looking at it but from another view FSU was completely inept from an offensive perspective (unlike the OSU example from a few years back when they showed their O could still function in spite of going with a 3rd-string QB). So personally, I think FSU doomed themselves by not having a competent 3rd-string QB-led offense - they looked absolutely terrible (on O) from any objective perspective. Conference affiliation aside, FSU certainly did not look like a team that could compete with any of the top four who were picked. The CFP Committe made the right call based on how bad the FSU O looked w/o their 1st QB - and that's against a Louisville team who had just got smoked by a middling Kentucky team... While the decision sucked from an ACC fan view, the CFP Committe picked the legit top 4 - and OBTW, UGA should have been 5th - not FSU...
Congratulations! You have the SEC talking points down cold.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
1. FSU won the game with their 3rd string, true freshman QB by double digits.
2. That 3rd string QB wasn’t going to play in their playoff games.

The 3rd string QB factor was bogus.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
How big is too big? Scheduling is already a nightmare, not to mention trying to get everyone in the end of year tournaments for the other sports. Rivalries will get shot in the foot as if they are not destroyed already. Main rival: Indiana, Illinois, Northwestern, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Maryland, or Rutgers? No thanks. I’m sure they feel the same.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
SEC will have a minimum of 4 every year with 5 quite often. B1G will normally have 4, but could drop to 3 in some years. Every 3-4 years, a second team from the Big12/ACC or Notre Dame will get selected. A common lineup will be 1 ACC, 1 Big12, 1 G5, 5 SEC and 4 B1G.

And the rich will just keep getting richer.
I don't think the ACC would deserve two teams in a 12 team playoff this year.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I see this as a war of attrition with a settlement the goal of FSU. The on;y real argument I see is a “breach of contract” by the league allowing the other parties a right to terminate. If that gets past a summary judgement motion by the league, settlement becomes a possibility. But I a not a litigator nor would I want to be one.
I can't see how the ACC settles without breaking up the conference by so doing. I think they have to fight it all the way home. Basically, if FSU can't show the ACC acted in bad faith, they haven't a case.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I can't see how the ACC settles without breaking up the conference by so doing. I think they have to fight it all the way home.
Exactly right if the ACC wants to survive.

Just wish they had spent the last couple of decades fighting for their place in the national media. Passivity by ACC leadership got us here and they have only themselves to blame for this bad PR battle with FSU.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Yeah it’s a bs argument that people keep repeating with a straight face.
How many teams would have gone in ahead of FSU with the 3rd string QB that would not have played had there been a 12-team playoff? UGA, OU, Oregon, Ohio State, Penn State, etc. all would have agitated that they were better.

slugboy

Staff member
Fortunately, lawsuits and court cases go quickly, so we’ll have a resolution soon

Charlie Brown Christmas GIF

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Who would you put in there:
Michigan, Washington, Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Penn State, Oregon, Oklahoma, Liberty, SMU and Tulane?
I think you left out FSU. I would do: Michigan, Washington, FSU, Alabama, Texas, UGA, OSU, Ole Miss, Penn St, Oregon, Missouri, and either Liberty/SMU.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I think you left out FSU. I would do: Michigan, Washington, FSU, Alabama, Texas, UGA, OSU, Ole Miss, Penn St, Oregon, Missouri, and either Liberty/SMU.
You missed the humor. Ha!

In a 12-team playoff there’s 1-2 G5/Indy teams. There’s also at least 5 other teams not previously selected that could use the bogus argument to their advantage. My intent is to determine how far that bogus argument carries.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The discussion of GT and B1G reminds me of the saying about conference expansion: Fans pick their favorite schools, school presidents pick conference members. School presidents have totally different requirements for conference memberships than fans.

B1G school presidents invited GT to join a decade ago (from 2010-2012). Not much has changed since then. If anything, there are factors that have moved even more in GT's favor.

GT is still the same athletic program, but with better leadership. Football, we're still a 7ish win team with special seasons of 10+ wins every 4-5 years. Basketball is still the same program that's still trying find our glory years of the 90's and early 2000's. Both programs are now looking at far brighter days than what's been going on the last few seasons.

B1G wants to be in the South. Period. The Southeast is quickly becoming an economic powerhouse for the US. Which means the population is shifting to this area. Atlanta has the biggest concentration of B1G alumni in the South, and that has grown even more since 2012. Think about that when you talk about carriage fees and subscribers to the B1G network. Oh, did anyone mention that Atlanta is the biggest media market in the South? The value of the ACC media contract would plummet without GT and Atlanta. The ACC knew that and talked our shortsighted President out of leaving the ACC (seriously, read the AJC interview with former President Peterson...it will make your blood boil). Since 2012, the Atlanta media market has grown, economic value has grown, population has grown. All of which made GT attractive in 2012 has gotten even stronger in 2023, and will continue to get stronger over the next few decades.

You think Media networks think about that?

From an athletic standpoint, speaking specifically about football (it's the main driver of expansion), as bad as were under CGC, GT is still one of the better programs in the ACC:

View attachment 15401

Think about that graphic. Even with the CGC years, GT is still within a striking distance of the same winning percentage of FSU...that team making all the noise right now. Also, look at the discussed B1G targets (GT, FSU, Miami, UNC, UVA). Outside of FSU, GT has more conference championships than all of them, and has a better winning percentage than all but FSU and Miami.

School Presidents understand that a school's athletic fortunes can change. GT has historically been an above average to good program:

In terms of the B1G, GT is in the same winning band as Wisconsin/UCLA/Mich State/Minnesota. We've been a better program than Iowa/Minnesota/Maryland/Purdue/Illinois/Northwestern/Indiana. For those that don't think GT can be competitive in the B1G, I suggest you look closer. GT will continue to do what GT has always done: win 6-8 games a season, and enjoy a special season every 4-5 years.

There's also the intangible quality of a school that B1G Presidents look at, and for the B1G, it's an important issue.

This is one of the big reasons B1G Presidents have coveted GT for years. Combine that with all of the above, and you don't have to go far at all into the wish bag of what makes a school attractive to the B1G conference. GT checks all the boxes...even if our own fans don't think so.

There's a reason why GT was invited a decade ago, and you don't have to look too hard to see why GT may actually be in a stronger position now than we were then.

Read it again Root

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
The argument here would be that Bama lost only to the team that beat the team that beat the number one team in the country. So their one loss is at the beginning of the year is actually better than the loss suffered by texas to a middle of the road oklahoma team. Controversial yes. But given Texas is leaving the big 12 i could see it.
Oklahoma is a middle of the road team? They are 10 in the composite rankings. Three spots behind FSU.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Easier to negotiate the exit fee which has a precedence with Maryland than the GOR. If the GOR is ruled invalid in court, then CFB will become even more chaotic than it already is. GT may be playing sports in a league more like the Ivy League than the SEC.