Conference Realignment

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Agreed that is a legit way of looking at it but from another view FSU was completely inept from an offensive perspective (unlike the OSU example from a few years back when they showed their O could still function in spite of going with a 3rd-string QB). So personally, I think FSU doomed themselves by not having a competent 3rd-string QB-led offense - they looked absolutely terrible (on O) from any objective perspective. Conference affiliation aside, FSU certainly did not look like a team that could compete with any of the top four who were picked. The CFP Committe made the right call based on how bad the FSU O looked w/o their 1st QB - and that's against a Louisville team who had just got smoked by a middling Kentucky team... While the decision sucked from an ACC fan view, the CFP Committe picked the legit top 4 - and OBTW, UGA should have been 5th - not FSU...
I agree that is how the committee rationalized it, but the lack of offense is just the PR excuse to justify what the committee was going to do all along, regardless if the FSU QB was hurt. This just made it an easier pill to swallow.

I agree that Uga was probably 5th. Heck, OSU was probably 6th.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Read it again Root
Not sure what your point is. GT's biggest issues are a real lack of fan support and a massive financial debt in the Athletic Department as well as not being a strong Regional or National Brand currently. The last one could change with several really good seasons in FB and BB.

In my opinion our best case situation is the ACC remains viable and closes the money gap with the SEC and B1G.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Not sure what your point is. GT's biggest issues are a real lack of fan support and a massive financial debt in the Athletic Department as well as not being a strong Regional or National Brand currently. The last one could change with several really good seasons in FB and BB.

In my opinion our best case situation is the ACC remains viable and closes the money gap with the SEC and B1G.
No Root. You stated there was absolutely no way GT would be considered for BIG. Admit you were wrong and we'll let it go. Are you big enough to do that?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Easier to negotiate the exit fee which has a precedence with Maryland than the GOR. If the GOR is ruled invalid in court, then CFB will become even more chaotic than it already is. GT may be playing sports in a league more like the Ivy League than the SEC.
One lawyer opined that the case transcends FSU v ACC. The real case is the ability to enforce a contract. His analysis was courts will be leery to side with FSU because of the precedent and massive chaos that would result. In short, no contract would be truly enforceable.

FSU will be untouchable during the court case which is estimated to be 5 years.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
One lawyer opined that the case transcends FSU v ACC. The real case is the ability to enforce a contract. His analysis was courts will be leery to side with FSU because of the precedent and massive chaos that would result. In short, no contract would be truly enforceable.

FSU will be untouchable during the court case which is estimated to be 5 years.
It will be a long, painful and expensive lesson for FSU. I am not a lawyer, but agree that the courts will have a hard time overturning the contract due the precedent it would create. Especially, since FSU was involved in defining the terms of the contract. This does not end well for FSU.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
No Root. You stated there was absolutely no way GT would be considered for BIG. Admit you were wrong and we'll let it go. Are you big enough to do that?
Please quote where I said that. I can’t find it looking back thru my last weeks of posts. I found several where I say GT isn’t a lock or a good candidate for the B1G but none that say GT “would not” be considered.

Being considered and being offered are two very different things.

If you can find that post and show it to me I will agree, we would be considered. I have low confidence in GT being offered by the B1G currently.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Please quote where I said that. I can’t find it looking back thru my last weeks of posts. I found several where I say GT isn’t a lock or a good candidate for the B1G but none that say GT “would not” be considered.

Being considered and being offered are two very different things.

If you can find that post and show it to me I will agree, we would be considered. I have low confidence in GT being offered by the B1G currently.
Ha Ha . I knew you wouldn't admit it. You are one classless...... You also said Coleman and Kelly were nnot ACC caliber BB players. Weasleword all you want.. You have some good insight, but we are all wrong sometimes. Except for you, I guess.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You guys do realize the ACC is dead already? The member schools are speaking thru silence. The undefeated ACC champion in football was just laughed at by everyone and you guys still think a viable option is for the ACC to continue. What will it take for some of you to see what has already happened? A conference that won’t even exist next year got an invite from the SEC/ESPN committee while the ACC is out playing golf in Greensboro. This conference is dead. Wait until you see who doesn’t get March Madness invites. I’m pretty sure the boys in Greensboro will at least take a few minutes to get Duke and UNC an invite until they had out for the back nine. Meanwhile the SEC is already ensuring their 8-9 invites because they like actually look at calendars and realize that the next big sports cash cow is in March while the ACC is spending its efforts on trying to spank their champions backsides. It’s just bizarro world.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You guys do realize the ACC is dead already? The member schools are speaking thru silence. The undefeated ACC champion in football was just laughed at by everyone and you guys still think a viable option is for the ACC to continue. What will it take for some of you to see what has already happened? A conference that won’t even exist next year got an invite from the SEC/ESPN committee while the ACC is out playing golf in Greensboro. This conference is dead. Wait until you see who doesn’t get March Madness invites. I’m pretty sure the boys in Greensboro will at least take a few minutes to get Duke and UNC an invite until they had out for the back nine. Meanwhile the SEC is already ensuring their 8-9 invites because they like actually look at calendars and realize that the next big sports cash cow is in March while the ACC is spending its efforts on trying to spank their champions backsides. It’s just bizarro world.
But pray tell, what choice does the ACC have at this point but to fight back against the lawsuit? I see nothing bizarre about that, under the circumstances. The best defense is a good offense.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Ha Ha. Some good points. I hope you are wrong but who knows. Your enthusiasm for the ACC is underwhelming. LOL

slugboy

Staff member
1703436707781.png

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Michigan, Washington, FSU and Alabama. Texas gets left out because you can’t leave the SEC out, but the excuse is that a loss to Oklahoma is the worse loss or they beat the #1 team recently.
A four point loss to Oklahoma on a neutral field is a worse loss than a 10 point loss at home? I do not agree, but whatever. The die was cast when both Bama and Texas won their championship games. Both were guaranteed a playoff spot because of that Texas win at Bama.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
A four point loss to Oklahoma on a neutral field is a worse loss than a 10 point loss at home? I do not agree, but whatever. The die was cast when both Bama and Texas won their championship games. Both were guaranteed a playoff spot because of that Texas win at Bama.
I’m not saying I agree with that, I’m saying it’s the argument. I think Travis as the Heisman favorite keeps FSU in. I personally would select Texas over Alabama in that scenario, but it seems less likely. Also, they would probably talk about how the Big 12 was weaker. Evidently, the SEC is at least 1 win better than all other conferences. All I know is that they would find an excuse.