Conference Realignment

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If there ever were to be a relegation system, it would probably start with a portion of each conference participates at one level while another portion of the league participated on a different level. Promotion/Relegation would happen within each conference. There would need to be strict rules about transferring.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer

Clemson, FSU, UNC, UVA in this gang of four. Clemson saying a decision could come "sooner rather than later" with October being mentioned.

With Clemson's stock falling, they need to make a move now.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow

Clemson, FSU, UNC, UVA in this gang of four. Clemson saying a decision could come "sooner rather than later" with October being mentioned.

I hope Angel is in touch with some of his AAU pals in the B1G!!

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I believe those two would have statewide TV markets.
You need to go look at the top rated media mkts nationwide, what you are talking about are totally irrelevant in media mkt ratings so I stand by what I said. So many of you have not gotten it yet, it's about the money and the single biggest chunk of $ comes from the TV payouts. That is where it is, going fwd in the foreseeable future. Again go look at the media mkt ratings, that will let you see so much of it. Now some of the flagship schools carry a statewide media mkts viewership such as UNC carries Charlotte, Raleigh/ Durham, Greensboro/ High point combined, but I don't think that is the case with Wash St., not sure about OR. St. but I doubt it with them, guessing it is the Ducks there. I hit the "like" button by mistake previously.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

This reads like rumor mill clickbait. Again. Not saying that there aren't any new discussions going on, but there's not much to this article that hasn't already been covered.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately there is no parity in CFB. When they reduced scholarships, you saw it for a season or two until the big boys figured it out. About the only solution is to limit it to about 15 scholarships a year, but with NIL money, they would find a loophole. With the rare exception, 90% of CFB teams are eliminated before the season begins.
Cannot argue with you there, do think if we end up with one master nationwide CFB conference of say 50 major schools total, we may get close to some parity just because there will be enough HS players to go around if you still have the portal etc. At that point it probably gets down to coaches more than anything else I'm guessing.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

I find it hard to believe that Florida and South Carolina would go with this. Or the North Carolina legislators would allow Carolina to leave Duke, Wake and State behind. And who wants Virginia?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
This reads like rumor mill clickbait. Again. Not saying that there aren't any new discussions going on, but there's not much to this article that hasn't already been covered.
I read the article that stated all of this version of "very soon". It has very little substance and a lot of wild speculation. The only thing it has was a quote from a Clemson "senior administrator" that things would happen "sooner than later". Is the quasi-journalist's definition of senior administrator limited to school and athletic association administrators, or do groundskeeper supervisors count? Does "sooner than later" mean in 2030 instead of 2036 or does it mean by October?

Swaim wasn't the source of this rumor he is referenced in this article. Didn't he guarantee that FSU was going to announce their departure on a Tuesday the week before the deadline to leave the conference. How many times do you have to be stupidly wrong before people stop paying attention to you? This type of "journalism" drives me wild. What is even worse than the people doing it is the people who pay attention. The public never holds them accountable for wild speculation being wrong thousands of times, but will anoint them as a deep insider if they happen to get one out of ten thousand correct.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I find it hard to believe that Florida and South Carolina would go with this. Or the North Carolina legislators would allow Carolina to leave Duke, Wake and State behind. And who wants Virginia?
Alabama & Auburn
Ole Miss & Mississippi State
Vanderbilt & Tennessee
Texas & Texas A&M

Isn't this kinda how it's supposed to be? Isn't this how REAL rivalries are maintained?

Wake and Duke are private schools. NC State and UNC would be the package deal.

But then UGA and Tech, right?

sonngy

Georgia Tech Fan

I genuinely can’t believe they referenced Greg Swaim. He has been consistently wrong on *everything* concerning realignment. What a joke.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Alabama & Auburn
Ole Miss & Mississippi State
Vanderbilt & Tennessee
Texas & Texas A&M

Isn't this kinda how it's supposed to be? Isn't this how REAL rivalries are maintained?

Wake and Duke are private schools. NC State and UNC would be the package deal.

But then UGA and Tech, right?
A&M didn’t want Texas, but being a fairly new member had little pull. The rest were original members. I guarantee UGA will form a coalition to keep us out same as USC and Florida would to keep Clemson & FSU out.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
A&M didn’t want Texas, but being a fairly new member had little pull. The rest were original members. I guarantee UGA will form a coalition to keep us out same as USC and Florida would to keep Clemson & FSU out.
The coaltion uga forms agajnst gt would be valid if we don't fix donation money , nil money, show pulse on field , and continue to have friendly portal in policy and good coaching. . So far we seem to be doing well enough that the Rest of the conference would like us back BECAUSE WE ARE not in FEW HOTELS Fayetteville, College Station, starkville , athens or small town usa. We drive up and Stay 2 nights and see cool entertainment and the gt game. ATL and the airport - IS A BIG DEAL.
Every year at UGA game time we are in Texas near Dallas for family reunion. If Gt is doing well ivwont donate tx to gtaa. I have flexibility to dierct fly w hs coaching son ATLDFW love, get room, tailgate , see game. ATL IS BIG DEAL

Last edited:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
There’s a lot more members now, how many votes does it take to block a new school?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I just don't see either the SEC or B1G taking too many more schools. The money just can't grow at the rate needed to keep payouts as high as they are now. Every single school that they add, would actually decrease the average of the conference.

I can see with the moving away from linear bundles to streaming that big matchups are going to be a driving factor in re-alignment, not location. (Bad for us). But even still, the numbers don't show that college football is increasing, it's actually slowly decreasing in viewership. They are squeezing blood out of a turnip, and eventually the bubble will burst, and when it does, payouts will plummet, and some companies will go bankrupt.

I predict you will start to see this by 2030 when the B12 comes up again for negotiations. I don't think they will get anywhere close to what they expect, much like the Pac 12, and if we want, we could pick off some of their best schools.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A couple of weeks ago my UNC neighbor & I thought up some hypothetical arguments for the GOR and how they might be overcome. He wants UNC to stay in the ACC. One that I had not considered would be for the university to spin off the AA and make it a for profit company. Then sell the assets back to a new AA that did not have a GOR. I am not sure that works, but it was one idea. The bottom line is that the AA in Chapel Hill doesn't think there's a way out of the GOR.

My thinking is that I doubt a blogger in Charleston is smarter than a room full of lawyers in Greensboro.