Conference Realignment

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We fit best geographically in the SEC but academically B1G probably. We fit better in the ACC when you include both. It has taken some time but there have been some rivalries formed in the ACC. I don't see any in the B1G. Some really old rivalries in the SEC but younger fans don't have a clue. Those were formed when we played for SEC championships and to some degree I think there was some jealousy of the big city of Atlanta.
As one ESPN executive said, “Nobody cares about rivalries anymore.”

And that’s true. It’s ratings that matter.

When I was at Tech, we played Alabama, Tennessee, UGA, Auburn, and had .. the toughest SEC schedule of ANY SEC team, let alone a non SEC team. The transition to ACC play was just starting. Sorry to say, but I just don’t give a **** about playing Boston College or Syracuse.

We regularly drove to games in Birmingham, Knoxville, and Auburn. Does any student travel to Syracuse? I think not.

I am a product of my time.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this. The Auburn game was almost as important as the uga game.
To throw wood on the fire, I’m enjoying a cocktail on my balcony as UGA rolls into town. The town is alive, hopping and thriving.

In my time, Auburn held a massive Wreck Tech Parade and it was a really, really big deal to play Tech. UGA is big, don’t get me wrong, but Auburn saw Tech as a reflection of itself. UGA doesn’t merit anything more than the game and a one way ticket home.

Changing times. And I find my opinions and experiences increasingly irrelevant.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

When I was at Tech, we played Alabama, Tennessee, UGA, Auburn, and had .. the toughest SEC schedule of ANY SEC team, let alone a non SEC team. The transition to ACC play was just starting. Sorry to say, but I just don’t give a **** about playing Boston College or Syracuse.

We regularly drove to games in Birmingham, Knoxville, and Auburn. Does any student travel to Syracuse? I think not.

We must have been at Ma Tech about the same time. I was there just after we left the SEC but still played the schools you mentioned plus Clemson every year in Atlanta.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

My freshman year I went to the Clemson game on a bus chartered by a fraternity. I really don't remember the game, except that we got crushed and the driver got pulled over for a speeding ticket. Everybody pitched in to pay for the ticket. That's not happening for BC, Syracuse, SMU, or anyone further than, say, opponents in states touching Georgia.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My freshman year I went to the Clemson game on a bus chartered by a fraternity. I really don't remember the game, except that we got crushed and the driver got pulled over for a speeding ticket. Everybody pitched in to pay for the ticket. That's not happening for BC, Syracuse, SMU, or anyone further than, say, opponents in states touching Georgia.
Gt can benefit from Rivalry between players who primarily come from the old SEC area and east half of Texas.

These players want to play where family and friends of family can attend. Gt in Atl will be more of a benefit in sec.

That said we can do well with the Portal home from players that get home sick.

They are very young when they select a school

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I really think we have to wait out and see what the CFB model is like at the end of the decade.
I'm very interested to see what the B1G and B12 contract talks look like at that point. That, to me, will determine whether there is any significant movement.
Given how CFB marketplace is changing it would not surprise me if the next contracts are not larger than the current ones, unless there is a significant streaming component to them.

Also, not sure if anyone is starting to take into account that 9 schools in the last year have agreed to change conferences at less than a full share from their new conference.
WA or OR with the B1G
The 4 G5 schools with B12.
Stanford/Cal/SMU with ACC.

Now the 5 G5 schools I understand because even with the less than full shares they expect to make more than they did from the media contract with their previous conference.
But 4 P5 schools have also moved at 50%+ reduced shares. You don't think the B1G/SEC are paying attention to that? The idea that you can move to one of the Big 2 and get a full share may not be the case anymore. And if you cannot get a full share does that change the financials enough where it makes sense to actually make that move?

Keep in mind that even the 4 corner schools only got full shares to the B12 because the B12 had in their agreement with ESPN a pro rata clause that would pay a full share for new P5 members up to 4 schools.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
If we want an invite to either of the top two, we need to take over Atlanta and be the football team everybody is talking about. That means just win win win and get favorable report in the media.

I think we can do that with Key but time is of the essence. Things are really looking up now and the future is bright, but the clock is ticking.

Do we need our name included in every realignment tweet and article alongside UNC, Clemson, and FSU? Not the damaging ones that piss on the ACC, but when writers speculate who would be a good fit to invite, our name needs to be on top instead of these other 3. Wins and good seasons should get us there.

yoshiki2

Georgia Tech Fan
We fit best geographically in the SEC but academically B1G probably. We fit better in the ACC when you include both. It has taken some time but there have been some rivalries formed in the ACC. I don't see any in the B1G. Some really old rivalries in the SEC but younger fans don't have a clue. Those were formed when we played for SEC championships and to some degree I think there was some jealousy of the big city of Atlanta.
No rivalries on big 10? Ohio State - Michigan is full of hate, Michigan vs Michigan State is also a big show. Can't talk about other rivalries as I am an ACC guy, and try not to get involved while they talk about college football in the office.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
No rivalries on big 10? Ohio State - Michigan is full of hate, Michigan vs Michigan State is also a big show. Can't talk about other rivalries as I am an ACC guy, and try not to get involved while they talk about college football in the office.
I'm pretty sure he's talking about rivalries with Georgia Tech, not amongst themselves. We have great old rivalries with the SEC teams, but not so much with the B1G. I know we've played Michigan State in some historically significant games.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I agree with this. The Auburn game was almost as important as the uga game.
When I sold Cokes as a youngster, the South stands hadn't been demolished and I believe the visiting students sat about where the visiting team sits (SE corner). To this day, I distinctly remember getting tipped better by the Auburn students. They would buy whole trays of cokes, knock the lids off off every single one of them, slosh the tray around to where each cup was about half empty/full, and then pull out their bottles of booze and fill every cup back up. Of all of the games I sold cokes at, it was the Auburn games I remember most.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn’t mind adding Tulane. The two Florida schools, I’m lukewarm about. USF or UCF. Hard to remember which is which. Rather have Georgia Southern than either.