Conference Realignment

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Ok I'll put this to rest, after talking to my source ( Father I'll leave his name out to protect him)
Notre Dame after losing to Ohio State now knows in order to be assured a playoff spot it would be easier to be a conference champ. After looking at the ACC they feel with Clemson and FSU they could win the ACC championship. So, I asked why did they want UNC and Uva to go. Father (still can't say his name) They aren't worried about UNC but at some point Tech may not beat them like the past. And Uva was just to throw people off. I asked him was he worried about Georgia Tech, and he said I'll keep my eye on that Coach Key he seems to be a good coach. If they ( GT) does get better, we'll see if we can get them in a different conference or we will just hire their new offensive coordinator.

And now you know the real story.

( see how easy it is to make sh*t up )

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Ok I'll put this to rest, after talking to my source ( Father I'll leave his name out to protect him)
Notre Dame after losing to Ohio State now knows in order to be assured a playoff spot it would be easier to be a conference champ. After looking at the ACC they feel with Clemson and FSU they could win the ACC championship. So, I asked why did they want UNC and Uva to go. Father (still can't say his name) They aren't worried about UNC but at some point Tech may not beat them like the past. And Uva was just to throw people off. I asked him was he worried about Georgia Tech, and he said I'll keep my eye on that Coach Key he seems to be a good coach. If they ( GT) does get better, we'll see if we can get them in a different conference or we will just hire their new offensive coordinator.

And now you know the real story.

( see how easy it is to make sh*t up )
Well, Father knows best. I was thinking after losing to the Ohio State ND would wise up and join the MAC, so they can play a cupcake schedule and win all their games.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
A couple of weeks ago my UNC neighbor & I thought up some hypothetical arguments for the GOR and how they might be overcome. He wants UNC to stay in the ACC. One that I had not considered would be for the university to spin off the AA and make it a for profit company. Then sell the assets back to a new AA that did not have a GOR. I am not sure that works, but it was one idea. The bottom line is that the AA in Chapel Hill doesn't think there's a way out of the GOR.

My thinking is that I doubt a blogger in Charleston is smarter than a room full of lawyers in Greensboro.
Their dude, Swofford, negotiated it.

slugboy

Staff member
A couple of weeks ago my UNC neighbor & I thought up some hypothetical arguments for the GOR and how they might be overcome. He wants UNC to stay in the ACC. One that I had not considered would be for the university to spin off the AA and make it a for profit company. Then sell the assets back to a new AA that did not have a GOR. I am not sure that works, but it was one idea. The bottom line is that the AA in Chapel Hill doesn't think there's a way out of the GOR.

My thinking is that I doubt a blogger in Charleston is smarter than a room full of lawyers in Greensboro.
that’s like transferring your house but not the mortgage lien.

Papa Foxtrot

Jolly Good Fellow
Not saying there is ANY merit to that post, but I could see the SEC wanting Tech primarily to block the B1G from the Atlanta/GA market.
Yeah - I knew it looked sketchy, but I was more that a bit surprised by the idea. That, plus apparently Batt and Sankey had a chat during our visit to Ol Miss....

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not saying there is ANY merit to that post, but I could see the SEC wanting Tech primarily to block the B1G from the Atlanta/GA market.

This. I'm not sure the average fan understands how important it is for the SEC (and ESPN) to keep the B1G out of Atlanta and the heart of the SEC. If GT can be good to very good, having teams like Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, USC, Oregon, Penn State, UCLA, Iowa, Mich State, etc. in Atlanta is HUGE. Atlanta proper, and Metro Atlanta is a very diverse area. There are fans from all over the country that live in Metro Atlanta, and the B1G crowd is huge in Atlanta...and Midwesterners are moving to Georgia in droves. There's a reason why the SEC's Greg Sankey mentioned GT multiple times during his interview about keeping rivalries.

My personal preference is I want GT in the B1G. It will be the premier Academic + Athletic conference. I also like their ultimate goal of making the conference a national brand, along with the fact that they actually protect their teams from eating each other to the detriment of the conference is important. B1G is also ahead of every conference in terms of how they think about revenue and media partnerships. Sure, GT may get a short term bump in the SEC, and we get to rekindle old rivalries with teams like Auburn/Tennessee/'Bama. At some point, the nostalgia of those rivalries wears off, and I'd say some of our younger fans aren't even aware of it. GT has to the potential to be a VERY good program if we can put it all together...and it starts with institutional alignment. Well, we finally have that. If GT can be good, and play a national schedule that the B1G provides, GT can actually be a very good national brand with the attraction of an international city to attract high level SAs. Academically and athletically, GT profile is more in line with the B1G than the SEC.

I don't think the SEC can provide what the B1G potentially offers. I don't think the SEC particularly wants GT, but I also think the SEC doesn't want their biggest threat to put a flag in the heart of their territory. It's just a matter of whether paying GT to play "defense" outweighs the B1G getting GT.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This. I'm not sure the average fan understands how important it is for the SEC (and ESPN) to keep the B1G out of Atlanta and the heart of the SEC. If GT can be good to very good, having teams like Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, USC, Oregon, Penn State, UCLA, Iowa, Mich State, etc. in Atlanta is HUGE. Atlanta proper, and Metro Atlanta is a very diverse area. There are fans from all over the country that live in Metro Atlanta, and the B1G crowd is huge in Atlanta...and Midwesterners are moving to Georgia in droves. There's a reason why the SEC's Greg Sankey mentioned GT multiple times during his interview about keeping rivalries.

My personal preference is I want GT in the B1G. It will be the premier Academic + Athletic conference. I also like their ultimate goal of making the conference a national brand, along with the fact that they actually protect their teams from eating each other to the detriment of the conference is important. B1G is also ahead of every conference in terms of how they think about revenue and media partnerships. Sure, GT may get a short term bump in the SEC, and we get to rekindle old rivalries with teams like Auburn/Tennessee/'Bama. At some point, the nostalgia of those rivalries wears off, and I'd say some of our younger fans aren't even aware of it. GT has to the potential to be a VERY good program if we can put it all together...and it starts with institutional alignment. Well, we finally have that. If GT can be good, and play a national schedule that the B1G provides, GT can actually be a very good national brand with the attraction of an international city to attract high level SAs. Academically and athletically, GT profile is more in line with the B1G than the SEC.

I don't think the SEC can provide what the B1G potentially offers. I don't think the SEC particularly wants GT, but I also think the SEC doesn't want their biggest threat to put a flag in the heart of their territory. It's just a matter of whether paying GT to play "defense" outweighs the B1G getting GT.
That's the key, IMO, the missing ingredient. If Tech can get "good to very good", the B1G talk (and perhaps the attending SEC talk) will start to heat up and hopefully become more than just talk.
The Jackets becoming competitive and growing the fanbase will go far to ensure remaining in a power conference amid the realignment turmoil. And with the right decisions, it's the one major factor in our control. We're now one year removed from our nadir, and considering our situation a lot of progress has been made already.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Just one man's opinion. The ACC is probably rhe right conference for us as long as the ACC payout is reasonable. We can compete in the ACC and while some fuss about ACC payouts, they are still the 3rd hightest payout conference. The Big12 is not as good as the ACC nor does it have the prestige of the ACC. Going to the SEC will be a real grind. I just am not convinced we can compete against UGA, Tennessee, Florida long term given there much larger school size and fanbase. I like the ACC. I guess some are convinced the ACC will fall apart if FSU, Clemson and UNC leave - maybe.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Attachments

• 1695942706923.png
    1695942706923.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 61

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I also would much rather travel to auburn, Athens, Columbia SC, Knoxville and Nashville for some away games.
For me (if I were younger) a trip to LA, Seattle would be of great interest, still maintaining trips to Miami, NC, NY, probably Chicago. Maybe a difference in taste.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Just one man's opinion. The ACC is probably rhe right conference for us as long as the ACC payout is reasonable. We can compete in the ACC and while some fuss about ACC payouts, they are still the 3rd hightest payout conference. The Big12 is not as good as the ACC nor does it have the prestige of the ACC. Going to the SEC will be a real grind. I just am not convinced we can compete against UGA, Tennessee, Florida long term given there much larger school size and fanbase. I like the ACC. I guess some are convinced the ACC will fall apart if FSU, Clemson and UNC leave - maybe.
I agree. With the occasional Penn State or Ohio St. / Michigan coming to town, the BIG doesn’t move the needle. Or do I think we would ever be able to compete on the SEC level And get to 10 or 11 wins.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree. With the occasional Penn State or Ohio St. / Michigan coming to town, the BIG doesn’t move the needle. Or do I think we would ever be able to compete on the SEC level And get to 10 or 11 wins.
I think there are years or even several years we could compete in the SEC. Like 2014 - We were good enough that year to compete within the SEC but year in and year out - I don't think so.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think there are years or even several years we could compete in the SEC. Like 2014 - We were good enough that year to compete within the SEC but year in and year out - I don't think so.
2014 was the last year we competed with the top of the ACC. I am not sure this is a good argument.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We fit best geographically in the SEC but academically B1G probably. We fit better in the ACC when you include both. It has taken some time but there have been some rivalries formed in the ACC. I don't see any in the B1G. Some really old rivalries in the SEC but younger fans don't have a clue. Those were formed when we played for SEC championships and to some degree I think there was some jealousy of the big city of Atlanta.