Conference Realignment

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
According to the Pac-12 constitution and bylaws, if a member school gives notice of withdrawal, it immediately ceases to be a member of the Pac-12 Board of Directors, meaning Oregon State and Washington State should now make up the entire Board of Directors membership.
Jimmy Carr Oops GIF by BBC

Lots of new legal department openings to be posted soon.....

CEB

Helluva Engineer
That’s hysterically unbelievable!
Seriously?
Some people’s kids… I swear. :D
In fact, how about Wazzu, and Oregon state, as the only voting members of the Pac 12, pass an amendment to defer 2023 conference revenues distribution to next year. Next year the 2023 conference revenues will be distributed 51% to the conference champion in 49% to the conference runner-up.

:D

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
In fact, how about Wazzu, and Oregon state, as the only voting members of the Pac 12, pass an amendment to defer 2023 conference revenues distribution to next year. Next year the 2023 conference revenues will be distributed 51% to the conference champion in 49% to the conference runner-up.

:D
I don't know what type of voting power they have, but not even just "pass an amendment to defer 2023 conference revenues distribution to next year", but also pass rules that to qualify for PAC 12 bowl games/conference championship, you must have a voting board member. I don't know anything any of this, but I'm hoping it gets ugly :devil:

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what type of voting power they have, but not even just "pass an amendment to defer 2023 conference revenues distribution to next year", but also pass rules that to qualify for PAC 12 bowl games/conference championship, you must have a voting board member. I don't know anything any of this, but I'm hoping it gets ugly :devil:
I am sure that they don’t have any such ability, but it sure would be fun! After the departing schools pulled that crap, I think OSU and WSU should investigate and enact every single emergency measure they have at their disposal to get paid.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I am sure that they don’t have any such ability, but it sure would be fun! After the departing schools pulled that crap, I think OSU and WSU should investigate and enact every single emergency measure they have at their disposal to get paid.
Yep, I agree it would be unlikely. I’m still cheering for total chaos at this point.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Keep in mind that most conferences - including the ACC - have the same clause in their bylaws.
If a schools wants to leave it loses its vote as soon as it announces its departure.

The idea is to not allow school who aren't in it with the conference to make decisions for the conference.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
If anyone is interested: The Knight Commission is using the recent conference realignment as a springboard to tout their earlier recommendation for separating FBS Football governance from other sports and the NCAA. https://www.knightcommission.org/20...collegiate-athletics-thursday-august-17-2023/

Key quote: "The recent conference realignment decisions of six PAC-12 institutions, including two founding members of the 108-year-old conference, should be the final tipping point forcing university presidents to explain why the current structure is still in the best interests of all Division I college athletes in all sports."

This was written a couple of weeks before the ACC made its move. Personally, I would love to see it happen, but doubt it ever will.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
SMU donors committed $100M in 7 days.

I expect SMU to be competitive in football as a mid-level ACC team pretty much from day 1.

Based on how much and how fast they have been raising money the last couple of years I expect them also to be a significant NIL player right away.
Just moving from a G5 to a P4 conference is likely to have a significant beneficial impact on their recruiting.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Interesting article on Disney/ABC/ESPN

“Disney almost has a good bank and a bad bank at this point,” Wells Fargo analyst Steven Cahall said in a CNBC interview. “Streaming is its future. It’s its strongest asset, next to the parks. The linear business is something Disney has clearly signaled is going to be in decline. They’re not looking to necessarily protect it. If they can move some of that lower, negative-growth business off of the books and to a better, more logical operator, we think that’s good for the stock.”

Nexstar has held preliminary conversations with Disney to acquire ABC and its owned and operated affiliates, Bloomberg reported Thursday. Media mogul Byron Allen has made a preliminary offer to pay $10 billion for ABC and its affiliates along with cable networks FX and National Geographic, according to a person familiar with the matter.

The value of broadcast and cable networks has significantly declined from the 1990s and early 2000s as tens of millions of Americans have canceled cable in recent years.

ESPN has a valuation of about $30 billion, according KeyBanc Capital Markets analyst Brandon Nispel, “though we view it as a melting iceberg,” he added in a September note to clients. LightShed analyst Rich Greenfield values ESPN at closer to $20 billion.

Disney would like to keep a majority stake in ESPN, Iger told CNBC. It currently owns 80% of the sports media business, and Hearst owns the other 20%.

About 10 years ago, analysts valued ESPN at around $50 billion.

But divesting the ABC network would be a bold statement by Disney that it sees no future in the broadcast cable world of content distribution.

“The sports business stands tall and remains a good value proposition,” Iger said last month during Disney’s third-quarter earnings conference call. “We believe in the power of sports and the unique ability to convene and engage audiences.”

There’s clear value, at least for the next few years, in keeping a large broadcast network for major sports leagues. NBCUniversal executives hope ownership of the NBC network will convince the NBA that it should be cut into a new rights agreement to carry NBA games. NBC is a free over-the-air service and can increase the league’s reach, they plan to argue. Even if the world is transitioning to streaming, millions of Americans still use digital antennas to watch TV.

Currently, ESPN and ABC split sports rights. Selling ABC may trigger certain change-of-control provisions that force existing deals with pay TV operators or the leagues to be rewritten, according to people familiar with typical language around such deals.

Moving on from the network also may obstruct ESPN’s ability to land future sports rights deals. Without ownership of ABC, leagues may choose to sell rights to other companies, thus further weakening ESPN.

If Iger is true to his word and Disney stays in the sports broadcasting business, the company will have to weigh the negative externalities of losing ABC with the positive gains of showing investors it’s serious about shedding declining assets.

If Disney does land a deal to sell ABC, and investors cheer the move, it may also function as a catalyst for other large legacy media companies to sell their declining assets. NBCUniversal, Paramount Global and Warner Bros. Discovery all have legacy broadcast and cable networks in addition to their flagship streaming services.

“We see this as a real bullish sign at Disney.” said Cahall. “There’s a lot going on now at Disney, between ESPN and partnerships and divesting some of this stuff. Disney is suddenly feeling a little more catalyst-rich than it was recently.”

stech81

Helluva Engineer

I expect SMU to be competitive in football as a mid-level ACC team pretty much from day 1.

Based on how much and how fast they have been raising money the last couple of years I expect them also to be a significant NIL player right away.
Just moving from a G5 to a P4 conference is likely to have a significant beneficial impact on their recruiting.
We should ask them for money since we voted yes.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Their success would be great for us. Any consistent power player on the national level is good for ACC branding and then good for $$$.

Will be interesting to watch the dynamic of SMU vs. Baylor/Texas Tech (as well as vs. Texas/Texas A&M, albeit a different animal). I'm guessing this quote is meant to be a direct strike at the B12 members and won't be taken lightly around those parts - cue @iceeater1969:
"When we announced on September 1 that SMU would be joining the ACC, I was highly confident that we would be able to cover the cost of the transition into what is one of the top three collegiate athletic conferences in the country," David B. Miller, chair of the SMU Board of Trustees, said in a statement.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Their success would be great for us. Any consistent power player on the national level is good for ACC branding and then good for $$$.

Will be interesting to watch the dynamic of SMU vs. Baylor/Texas Tech (as well as vs. Texas/Texas A&M, albeit a different animal). I'm guessing this quote is meant to be a direct strike at the B12 members and won't be taken lightly around those parts - cue @iceeater1969:

I just developed a big man crush on SMU, finally, an ACC member that has balls enough to shoot a direct shot at the BIG12 instead of sitting around and complaining about what we don't have. This is what we have been missing and I fully expect those SMU billionaires to pay whatever it takes to build a very competitive program.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I located this article from "The Messenger" (Javon Edmonds) concerning a Press Conference which Jim Phillips had after the ACC vote on expansion. I didn't know that he had a press conference.

Phillips gave some of the big picture views concerning scheduling and travel with the expanded league. Some of the ideas are interesting particularly concerning basketball and the Olympic sports.

I have attached one page of the article. The rest concerns money distribution which we have read a lot about previously.

Attachments

• ACC Scheduling--Jim Phillips.pdf
    477.6 KB · Views: 62

Dettmann1

Georgia Tech Fan

I talked with one of SMUs big boosters the day after it was announced and I was surprised how much he kept bringing up that they were one of three Texas schools in a top 3 conference. He really thought being able to group themselves in with Texas and TAMU was a big deal on the recruiting trail and from a prestige front. That seems to be the big thing to them and honestly made me relook at my current view of the ACC in relation to the broader landscape (Ie that we are actually in a decent spot and that people do have a positive view of the ACC)