Conference Realignment

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don't think either OSU or WSU expect P4 money. They have, at the moment, a chance to leverage the situation to create an "upper tier" G6 conference which would hopefully pay them better than the other G5 conferences while less than the P4. The jury is out on whether it will work or not.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't think either OSU or WSU expect P4 money. They have, at the moment, a chance to leverage the situation to create an "upper tier" G6 conference which would hopefully pay them better than the other G5 conferences while less than the P4. The jury is out on whether it will work or not.
I agree with you. As a fan, I see nothing among those six schools to interest me in watching a game. Heck, I haven't been watching them.

OSU and WSU are clinging to hope that Stanford and Cal will return to the PACn. But both signed the ACC Grant of Rights. Unless there's an unexpected court decision, neither is leaving the ACC. Neither are FSU and Clemson. Talk of Memphis going to the PAC, or UConn, I think are just media speculation.

This may be behind a paywall. My apologies if that is the case.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
IMO, they should have done what the Big 12 did. Up and coming schools with good programs in big markets or big fanbases. Big 12 went after UCF, Cincy, Houston, BYU, etc. Those are all high ceiling programs given their markets and/or fanbases.

There's not many of those schools left. USouth Florida is one, but they are on the opposite side of the country. PAC 12 would need to add schools East of the Mississippi to make that work. GA State would be a good program for market, but GSU needs to invest more into their program to even be at the San Diego/Fresno State/Boise State level, and their fanbase is tepid at best.

Regardless, PAC 12 is now a G6 conference looking up at the P4.
They could always do the west coast / east coast thing.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

I’m sure Cal and Stanford would LOVE to go to the new and improved Pac 6…. BUT, they signed that dadgum grant of rights!

SUCKERS!
IMG_7489.gif

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I’m sure Cal and Stanford would LOVE to go to the new and improved Pac 6…. BUT, they signed that dadgum grant of rights!

SUCKERS!
View attachment 16837

Big 12 wanted them, and I'm sure would take them, but Cal and Stanford wanted to be affiliated with a conference with higher academic standards. IMO, one of them, most likely Stanford, will be in play for the B1G once the next round of expansion occurs when the GOR expires.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Big 12 wanted them, and I'm sure would take them, but Cal and Stanford wanted to be affiliated with a conference with higher academic standards. IMO, one of them, most likely Stanford, will be in play for the B1G once the next round of expansion occurs when the GOR expires.
My last post was sarcasm. This is not… the BIG is thinking WAAAY out of the box.
They’ve talked of 24, and why shouldn’t we believe them? So… tonight, you get a peek behind the curtain…here’s the plan:
Next round they pull from the ACC hard. They take Cal, Stanford, GT, UNC, Miami and…. ND. 24 teams, four 6-team pods:
West: Wash, OR, UCLA,USC, Cal, Stan
East: Maryland, Rutgers, UNC, GT, Miami and…. ND (yes, east coast Irish appeasement)
Midwest: PSU, OSU, IU, Purdue, Illini, Northwestern
Heartland: Mich, MSU, Iowa, Nebraska Minnesota, Wisconsin
They’ll play 5 pod games and one rotating opponent from each of the other three for 8 conf games total. The top pod teams will actually play a conference SEMIFINAL to determine the conference championship. Double the big game money for the conference before they even get to the CFP.
It’s coming. My people have confirmed it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My last post was sarcasm. This is not… the BIG is thinking WAAAY out of the box.
They’ve talked of 24, and why shouldn’t we believe them? So… tonight, you get a peek behind the curtain…here’s the plan:
Next round they pull from the ACC hard. They take Cal, Stanford, GT, UNC, Miami and…. ND. 24 teams, four 6-team pods:
East: Maryland, Rutgers, UNC, GT, Miami and…. ND (yes, east coast Irish appeasement)
They’ll play 5 pod games and one rotating opponent from each of the other three for 8 conf games total. The top pod teams will actually play a conference SEMIFINAL to determine the conference championship. Double the big game money for the conference before they even get to the CFP.
But now they have to kill you, so there’s that.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
What about UVA?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This would be a better post if you said it was also sarcasm. But, you got the reactions you wanted. There is that.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Youre Crazy Come On GIF by Jackson-Triggs

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Think bigger...

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think ND will ever join a conf, unless they get to a point where in-conf games increase and they can’t schedule any games with their traditional rivals or can’t get enough decent P4 matchups for SOS with other schools and miss the playoffs because of that.