Conference Realignment

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Saban had already coached LSU to a national championship before he got to Tuscaloosa.

Auburn’s Harsin got fired of course, but after his first year, said he had never seen a team get manhandled the way he saw the Dawgs do it to the Tigers. This from a 10 win guy for a number of years.

I don’t think you can blow it off when other coaches, especially those not from the SEC, consistently say it. You’re competing against very good athletes.
Not blowing it off. Just pointing out that coaches move around and Saban was not an SEC guy until he was. Texas has already shown that they can handle the rigor and I suspect Oklahoma will be ok too.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This rings true to me.

We’ve seen in the past how the SEC responds to a perceived slight. They go nuclear. Big press conferences, lawyers, state house legislators weighing in, whatever it takes they will use it to say, “If you don’t want this stink all over you, you better at least listen to us and give us a favorable cover story.” It’s all about saving the public image they’ve cultivated.

Anyone remember how Vince Dooley responded after the Jasper Sanks fumble and the Tech win? He wanted the refs investigated. He called for public hearings. He wanted legal action. At the time I almost felt bad for Dooley because I thought he had publicly humiliated himself by throwing such a childish tantrum. Naive of me. This is the SEC playbook and it works.

FSU learned the lesson well and, as disgusting as it is to me, I understand it.
Well, two things and I know SOWEGA is going to explode.

First, Sankey is the SEC Commish and yes, he advocated strongly that an SEC team should be in the playoffs. That’s what he is supposed to do.

Second, the bs about the player being out is understood when you read the CFP‘s goal … it is not to determine an objective national champion. It’s to produce a made for TV event that ESPN broadcast and rain money back into college football. Right now, no one is returning any ESPN money, so there’s that.

Personally, I don’t think FSU should have been ranked as high as it wa based on its schedule. That’s why we have the controversy. But a simple question is, which teams would generate more eyeballs? Simple.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I would have to go back and check (too lazy so probably won’t) but didn’t both Southern Cal and Notre Dame hold their own in Tuscaloosa’s humidity?
I don’t have it handy. But I’ve been to games as a spectator and it was rough. Would be good to get the dates … maybe they did?

I still remember Brian Bosworth passing out his first day at Falcon ‘s training camp.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don’t have it handy. But I’ve been to games as a spectator and it was rough. Would be good to get the dates … maybe they did?

I still remember Brian Bosworth passing out his first day at Falcon ‘s training camp.
Bosworth is another example of what I was referring to in my other post. Being a great college player and being NFL material are not the same thing even though they overlap in the Venn diagram. As you are well aware, I’m sure, for decades they referred to the “Heisman curse” because of the high numbers of winners who couldn’t cut it in the NFL.

I don’t think humidity determines how well an NFL draft pick does not how good a conference is. 😊

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Bosworth is another example of what I was referring to in my other post. Being a great college player and being NFL material are not the same thing even though they overlap in the Venn diagram. As you are well aware, I’m sure, for decades they referred to the “Heisman curse” because of the high numbers of winners who couldn’t cut it in the NFL.

I don’t think humidity determines how well an NFL draft pick does not how good a conference is. 😊
Humidity averages 74% in September. Bama beat USC 52-6.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
This rings true to me.

We’ve seen in the past how the SEC responds to a perceived slight. They go nuclear. Big press conferences, lawyers, state house legislators weighing in, whatever it takes they will use it to say, “If you don’t want this stink all over you, you better at least listen to us and give us a favorable cover story.” It’s all about saving the public image they’ve cultivated.

Anyone remember how Vince Dooley responded after the Jasper Sanks fumble and the Tech win? He wanted the refs investigated. He called for public hearings. He wanted legal action. At the time I almost felt bad for Dooley because I thought he had publicly humiliated himself by throwing such a childish tantrum. Naive of me. This is the SEC playbook and it works.

FSU learned the lesson well and, as disgusting as it is to me, I understand it.
IMG_0053.gif

Now I see it….

CEB

Helluva Engineer

Yeah… the NFL detected dehydration in Boz’s urine tests. That had to be it.
;)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, two things and I know SOWEGA is going to explode.

First, Sankey is the SEC Commish and yes, he advocated strongly that an SEC team should be in the playoffs. That’s what he is supposed to do.

Second, the bs about the player being out is understood when you read the CFP‘s goal … it is not to determine an objective national champion. It’s to produce a made for TV event that ESPN broadcast and rain money back into college football. Right now, no one is returning any ESPN money, so there’s that.

Personally, I don’t think FSU should have been ranked as high as it wa based on its schedule. That’s why we have the controversy. But a simple question is, which teams would generate more eyeballs? Simple.
I get it and nothing makes me explode anymore because we all have seen it all. Who would have thunk that UGA would have an engineering program all so they could recruit against GT. It worked as they went back to back. And the Governor and Legislature love it.

As for more eyeballs, I think GT should field a team of lingerie models. We’d easily make the playoff if it’s eyeballs they want.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
If you are talking perception, there’s more to the SEC’s rise to dominance than just talent or marketing. From a publicity standpoint, the impact of national championships cannot be overstated, especially to casual fans who only pay attention to big event headlines. The SEC didn’t really start their championship dominance until the 2006 season when Urban Meyer’s Florida team soundly beat Ohio State. This began a run of 7 championships in a row by 4 different SEC teams. This run also saw the emergence of arguably the greatest coach of all time, and if not for his earlier brief dalliance with the pros, might have pushed the start of the SEC’s run back to the 2003 season.

The 2013-2018 seasons were a period where ACC teams held their own, with 2 teams winning 3 championships and playing for several more. If there was ever a time frame that ACC leadership might have capitalized on favorable perceptions and promoted the league, this was it. Unfortunately, during this time period, FSU began declining and the ACC was again perceived as a weak “one-team league”. History is now repeating with Clemson’s decline and FSU’s rise. “Peak ACC” gave way to another period of SEC championship dominance.

In my opinion, a conference needs at least 2 elite teams to be considered competitively sound. The ACC hasn’t ever had that except for very brief intervals. The blame for this situation can’t be laid entirely on ACC leadership – they brought in two elite or near-elite teams in Miami and Virginia Tech, but they haven’t lived up to their promise.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Looking at Knights ncaa financial data base TOTAL REVENUE for about 6 years by individual SEC / ACC schools shows "more money at SEC" schools. Note : "acc schools in more expensive" locations.

The education outcomes at Gt are better because the better facilities and professors (WHICH COST MORE $) attract better students. Sure other schools have a few elite engineers, but not the number at Gt. Overtime the money and succes record , keeps the talent and $ flowing.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
"From a revenue and a sales standpoint, I would say it's exceeded our expectations. I would say it is extraordinarily successful."

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
"From a revenue and a sales standpoint, I would say it's exceeded our expectations. I would say it is extraordinarily successful."

As I recall, the ACC had total subscribers of 46 million last year vs. 48 million for the SEC. The ACCN itself is doing what it was supposed to do. I still think you need to evaluate the combination of both ND and the ACCN to get the true picture of the ACC vs the other P2 conferences, at least, an indirect comparison.

The article is correct about FInebaum. He has done a great job of putting together a show that is an essential part of SEC Game Days. Charles Barkley has "retired" from broadcasting, but I think it makes sense for the ACC to make a run at him, or some other, to help create an ACC alternative. (I can't think of any ACC personalities right now, but even Finebaum was just a columnist when he started.)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The article is correct about FInebaum. He has done a great job of putting together a show that is an essential part of SEC Game Days.
Finebaum was a columnist for the Post-Herald while I was living in Bham. I liked his writing and his perspective. I and my running buddies talked about his columns on our lunchtime runs, so his opinions were edgy even then. He has become more of a homer for the SEC than I like, but he is still very effective at what he does.

TampaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Finebaum was a columnist for the Post-Herald while I was living in Bham. I liked his writing and his perspective. I and my running buddies talked about his columns on our lunchtime runs, so his opinions were edgy even then. He has become more of a homer for the SEC than I like, but he is still very effective at what he does.
Personally, I don't like Finebaum very much. He is part of the current ESPN trend of "argumentary" programming that does not appeal to me. These days, I tune in to ESPN for the games I want to watch, but turn it off for everything else.

slugboy

Staff member
I can simultaneously believe multiple things
  1. Large land grant schools with big stadiums and nothing else to do offer a huge advantage in ratings. The SEC and B1G have the biggest revenue schools right now
  2. There’s a big demographic problem coming. 20-year-olds don’t watch TV. Netflix and Prime are things. College football, less so.
  3. There are media narratives and there are conference narratives. The ACC should have beaten the drum loudly to get FSU into the CFP last year. It doesn’t matter whether or not it would be effective—you don’t get what you don’t ask for, and while you might look weak for getting rejected, you look even worse for not asking.
  4. For (3), conferences should have a coherent message. The ACC doesn’t. The Big 12 does.
  5. FSU acted and still acts like ***holes. We should have still backed them up strongly
  6. The ACC should have a plan and it should work that plan. Waiting and seeing is not a plan.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Article says ACC and FSU fail in mediation but continue to negotiate? to me, it sounds like you would still be in mediation if you are still negotiating. maybe one of our lawyer types could explain if this means anything?