Conference Realignment

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You’re right. I apologize for thinking that a league commissioner would would be a strong leader and make positive decisions for the future like most commissioners do. I forgot we have a weak lackey running the show who is beholden to the Carolina country club crew until he begs Pettiti to bring him home.

forensicbuzz

21st Century Throwback Dad
You’re right. I apologize for thinking that a league commissioner would would be a strong leader and make positive decisions for the future like most commissioners do. I forgot we have a weak lackey running the show who is beholden to the Carolina country club crew until he begs Pettiti to bring him home.
Such a weak take. I'm embarrassed for you.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Must have been the weather. Jet lag, bad refs, OC suspended, didn't take the opponent seriously.too many new players, Ha ha ha ha. Must have some more excuses somewhere. Now go chop that FSU.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I watched the Coach Key interview on ACC PM on Monday plus a rerun yesterday. He was asked several questions about strategy and personnel. The play of Efford was discussed who Key praised and mentioned that he was the first player in his office after the return from Ireland to ask how he could improve. I watched the rerun of the interview yesterday because I wanted to be sure I understood what Key said about the ACC.

Mark Packer was about to wrap up the Interview and Key said that he would like to add one more thing. Key pointed out that the ACC had several good quarterbacks and Haynes King was one of those. He said the league was a physical league and he was building a physical team at GT. He ended the interview by saying "The ACC is a good League and GT is proud to be a member."

Key is saying this to Packer who is a Clemson Alumnus and supporter. I am always trying to see an indication or hint from some GT source as to where Tech stands about realignment. It sounds like GT is pretty committed to the ACC. I don't believe he would make that unsolicited comment unless he was trying to make a strong statement about GT's support for sticking with the ACC. I don't think he would say that unless Batt and Cabrera were in agreement.

I do understand that things could change after the lawsuits eventually come to an end. If FSU and Clemson win in court and the ACC basically crumbles, I know the GT team will do the best possible for us. Based on Key's comments, it appears that GT is in favor of the conference staying intact as long as possible.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I watched the Coach Key interview on ACC PM on Monday plus a rerun yesterday. He was asked several questions about strategy and personnel. The play of Efford was discussed who Key praised and mentioned that he was the first player in his office after the return from Ireland to ask how he could improve. I watched the rerun of the interview yesterday because I wanted to be sure I understood what Key said about the ACC.

Mark Packer was about to wrap up the Interview and Key said that he would like to add one more thing. Key pointed out that the ACC had several good quarterbacks and Haynes King was one of those. He said the league was a physical league and he was building a physical team at GT. He ended the interview by saying "The ACC is a good League and GT is proud to be a member."

Key is saying this to Packer who is a Clemson Alumnus and supporter. I am always trying to see an indication or hint from some GT source as to where Tech stands about realignment. It sounds like GT is pretty committed to the ACC. I don't believe he would make that unsolicited comment unless he was trying to make a strong statement about GT's support for sticking with the ACC. I don't think he would say that unless Batt and Cabrera were in agreement.

I do understand that things could change after the lawsuits eventually come to an end. If FSU and Clemson win in court and the ACC basically crumbles, I know the GT team will do the best possible for us. Based on Key's comments, it appears that GT is in favor of the conference staying intact as long as possible.
The ACC saved the GTAA’s butt back around 1978. Despite the frustration of the TRM over the years, we are watching D1 GT football today because of the ACC. The SECheat, specifically Auburn and uGAg, were willing to smile and wave us goodbye. The next day the ACC called and told us they had already voted in favor of us joining if we wanted to come with them. It was a defining moment for GT athletics. Just a few thoughts on a Wednesday morning.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The ACC saved the GTAA’s butt back around 1978. Despite the frustration of the TRM over the years, we are watching D1 GT football today because of the ACC. The SECheat, specifically Auburn and uGAg, were willing to smile and wave us goodbye. The next day the ACC called and told us they had already voted in favor of us joining if we wanted to come with them. It was a defining moment for GT athletics. Just a few thoughts on a Wednesday morning.
At that time the ACC was mostly a basketball centric conference and South Carolina leaving meant they needed a new member. Clearly GT was a favorite because our basketball history was not going to upset the existing power balance. But, that lead us to hire Cremins.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I don't read that much into the statement.

The social media impression of the ACC is that it is lower than a G5 conference. The ACC is a good conference. We need people in the ACC making statements about the strength of the ACC.

It is a sign of character when you are committed to your current situation. An employee who is 100% invested in his company is a great asset. That employee might leave for other career opportunities, but he is a much better asset than an employee who stays for 30 years but only does enough to keep his job and complains the entire time. Brent Key was very motivated to make UCF better when he worked there. He was very motivated to make Alabama better when he worked there. He is currently very motivated to make GT better as a member of the ACC. If GT were to move to the Big10, he would be very motivated to make GT better as a member of the Big10. (Not saying there is any realistic chance of any team leaving the ACC in the near future, just giving a hypothetical.) GT can be a proud member of the ACC and give 100% effort into making the ACC better, yet decide to leave the ACC and give 100% effort in a different conference.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The ACC saved the GTAA’s butt back around 1978.
I'm not sure I would phrase it this way.

GT, after leaving the SEC, still played a mostly SEC schedule ... arguably the most difficult SEC schedule in the country with annual games against Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee and Florida. The problem was, those annual home-and-homes were reaching their conclusions and Tech was having difficulty finding opponents to play. Scheduling was becoming a real problem. Yes, Tech applied to rejoin the SEC and yes, Jawja blackballed Tech (I'm not sure about Auburn, that's a new one) ... but Tech begged the ACC to let them join and even paid to join the conference.

Said Curry, "I don't know if the ACC is the best conference for us, but it's the best conference for us right now. New relationships, new rivalries will form." I was there and I don't recall a lot of excitement about joining other than ... whew!

The ACC definitely eased schedule difficulty. And that was important given the dire state of the finances at GTAA. But as Oriental said, "it was a basketball conference then" of eight teams. It has gotten, much much better since then. But it was the best we could do at the time.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't read that much into the statement.

The social media impression of the ACC is that it is lower than a G5 conference. The ACC is a good conference. We need people in the ACC making statements about the strength of the ACC.

It is a sign of character when you are committed to your current situation. An employee who is 100% invested in his company is a great asset. That employee might leave for other career opportunities, but he is a much better asset than an employee who stays for 30 years but only does enough to keep his job and complains the entire time. Brent Key was very motivated to make UCF better when he worked there. He was very motivated to make Alabama better when he worked there. He is currently very motivated to make GT better as a member of the ACC. If GT were to move to the Big10, he would be very motivated to make GT better as a member of the Big10. (Not saying there is any realistic chance of any team leaving the ACC in the near future, just giving a hypothetical.) GT can be a proud member of the ACC and give 100% effort into making the ACC better, yet decide to leave the ACC and give 100% effort in a different conference.
Well said.

Key is promoting Tech first and foremost. And you don’t do that by running down the conference you belong to, something a couple of teams in the ACC don’t understand. We will be well positioned to join the B1G, if it comes to that, or well positioned to lead a resurgent ACC if that happens.

You have to like everything about our coach. No missteps taken since he took over the program.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You have to like everything about our coach. No missteps taken since he took over the program.
I read a snippet (yesterday?) of Key speaking about having worked for Saban. He described the importance of preparation and discipline. He echo'd Saban's view that ... [paraphrasing] "We don't worry about winning games. We worry about executing the play exactly as intended and executing the game plan, exactly as intended."

That's focus.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I read a snippet (yesterday?) of Key speaking about having worked for Saban. He described the importance of preparation and discipline. He echo'd Saban's view that ... [paraphrasing] "We don't worry about winning games. We worry about executing the play exactly as intended and executing the game plan, exactly as intended."

That's focus.
Yep. Saw that too.

That was always my philosophy. The challenge is getting the people around you to buy the philosophy of focusing on process and letting the results take care of themself. Key seems to have done that.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
The new playoff format should guarantee at least one team in the discussion every year. I can almost promise, that by the end of the year, the ACC will have at least three teams plus ND as possible playoff teams.