Conference Realignment

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
So…. You’re going with intentionally obtuse? :LOL:
1722215593709.png

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
So…. You’re going with intentionally obtuse? :LOL:
Haha! I dunno, though.. I’m tracking with SJ on this a bit: sure FSU may have had budget cuts.. but it‘s unlikely that it would have had such an immediate effect, nor there is there any direct correlation. What’s seems far more likely to me is that a) good coach left (Fisher); b) crappy coach comes in (Taggart); c) team falls off the cliff; d) good coach re-enters (Norvell). I mean .. we here all know it’s fully possible for a coach to wreck a program.. quickly. 🙃

slugboy

Staff member
Haha! I dunno, though.. I’m tracking with SJ on this a bit: sure FSU may have had budget cuts.. but it‘s unlikely that it would have had such an immediate effect, nor there is there any direct correlation. What’s seems far more likely to me is that a) good coach left (Fisher); b) crappy coach comes in (Taggart); c) team falls off the cliff; d) good coach re-enters (Norvell). I mean .. we here all know it’s fully possible for a coach to wreck a program.. quickly. 🙃
Fisher went screaming for more money to the boosters and AD. He said he needed it to compete. He got shut down. Fisher said funding was why he left, and he wouldn’t have that problem at Texas A&M.

So, Jimbo Fisher leaving was about the budget.

Also, the offensive line was tailing off at the end of Fisher’s tenure, and those are the same linemen that crippled Taggart’s time there. That’s probably also related to the budget.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I think there were multiple issues that led to Jimbo leaving F$U, not the least of which the 5-6 record in 2017, his 8th season as HC. I don’t doubt that from his perspective money was an issue. However, the same thing happened at TAMU, even quicker than at F$U, in his 5-6th seasons. Money is hardly ever the issue at TAMU. It seems to me that CJF struggles to maintain a positive culture for some reason.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
You’re not wrong… but that’s not the obtuse position of his posts…
We have tracked pretty closely to the FSU scenario so far:
Good coach hamstrung on funding leaves.
Bad coach enters, runs team off cliff.
Let’s hope we also witness first hand how a good coach and some reinvestment can resurrect a good program in short order.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I just find it hilarious that anyone would suggest that the ACC‘s reputation has fallen because of anything FSU has done. How about the ACC’s reputation has fallen into the gutter because there are not enough teams that care or make smart decisions. GT is example 1- we pushed a Hall of Fame coach out and hired Collins. That is far worse than anything FSU has done and cause us to become a laughingstock that we are still trying to recover from.

Or what about schools like BC, Wake, Duke, Syracuse, NC State, Miami, UVA, VT, and UNC who have done absolutely nothing for decades in football. Maryland has more recent ACC titles than any of those.

The unhinged hate against 1 of 2 teams in this conference who actually care about football is just astounding. FSU and Clemson are the reason we got the TV contract in the first place. Without those 2 schools the entire conference from a media perspective would be as relevant as the Sunbelt.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I just find it hilarious that anyone would suggest that the ACC‘s reputation has fallen because of anything FSU has done. How about the ACC’s reputation has fallen into the gutter because there are not enough teams that care or make smart decisions. GT is example 1- we pushed a Hall of Fame coach out and hired Collins. That is far worse than anything FSU has done and cause us to become a laughingstock that we are still trying to recover from.

Or what about schools like BC, Wake, Duke, Syracuse, NC State, Miami, UVA, VT, and UNC who have done
Wake has 1 ACC title since Maryland last title Pitt has 1 title as does GT. VT has 4 ACC titles since Maryland last title. The rest are split between FSU and Clemson. FSU = 7, Clemson = 7. The ACC is basically a 2 team league in football and both want to leave!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I just find it hilarious that anyone would suggest that the ACC‘s reputation has fallen because of anything FSU has done.
Intentionally obtuse. Weren't you just ranting that it was poor leadership at the Conference level that lead to the ACC being perceived as weak? Virtually everyone else was arguing that the conference reputation is based on what individual teams do and how that makes them attractive.

Case in point. From 2017-2021, FSU was 26-33 and what happened to viewership? It declined to 2.23M. Still better than most, but it's hard to argue for more valuable media rights when your most committed programs go backwards. Clemson is beginning to see the same thing .... they were on a tear for six years and now Dabo has decided to go in a different direction. Jim Phillips didn't make that decision ... Clemson did. All by themselves.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
But again, why are you bringing up FSU and Clemson and not the other 12 schools who do nothing year after year? Sure, FSU had a few down years after Bowden just like most schools do after they lose a Hall of Famer (see GT) and Dabo is going thru a rough patch (if you call 9-4 a rough patch) right now because his QB’s didn’t live up to their rankings. But, to say that the ACC is in a bad way because of 2 teams is just laughable. The reason the ACC is in bad shape is because of poor leadership at the home office not because Clemson has a few more losses or Duke basketball is down a bit.

Case in point - GT vs. FSU in Ireland. Who in the world came up with the idea to take a marquee game of 2 southern teams with a recent nice little history and play that game 3 thousand miles away? I don’t see the SEC having Ole Miss and Bama play in Caracas or Rio de Janeiro? It’s just totally stupid. Now, I’m sure Phillips and everyone in the front office will have a grand time on their week long vacation and the kick backs and perks are great for them. But, what does it do for increasing the ACC’s footprint? Nothing at all. That game could have been showcased in any a number of locations in prime time. Instead the numbers will be down for a noon game on August 24th being played in another country. And Sankey and Pettiti will once again be laughing at the idiocy. Meanwhile those 2 conference have LSU playing USC in Las Vegas in prime time on 9/1. That’s how you get an audience.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And Sankey and Pettiti will once again be laughing at the idiocy.
Sankey has already commented that the SEC needs to follow the ACC. European games produce strong demand with very little alternative competition. And fans love it.

I mention FSU and Miami because that’s the reason they joined … to strengthen the conference and create value. Then, they self-destructed. If you want to argue that the ACC is otherwise average, have at it.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

Or what about schools like BC, Wake, Duke, Syracuse, NC State, Miami, UVA, VT, and UNC who have done absolutely nothing for decades in football. Maryland has more recent ACC titles than any of those.

The unhinged hate against 1 of 2 teams in this conference who actually care about football is just astounding. FSU and Clemson are the reason we got the TV contract in the first place. Without those 2 schools the entire conference from a media perspective would be as relevant as the Sunbelt.
The reason the ACC is in bad shape is because of poor leadership at the home office

I'm confused. Which is it, teams making bad decisions, or leadership at the conference level? Or both?

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm confused. Which is it, teams making bad decisions, or leadership at the conference level? Or both?
It’s leadership at the ACC. This lack of leadership allows mediocrity to thrive. The ACC is a boatload of mediocrity right now. Strong leadership creates a positive working environment. What happened to FSU being left out on Phillips watch is just the icing on the cake. And everyone associated with college football saw it. Now, did Phillips want that to happen? Of course not. But everyone knows they can play him and he won’t do a thing about it. You’ll see this year, once again, when an ACC team (maybe GT) has a strong season yet never sniffs the top 15 because the decision makers know the path of least resistance. If they ever picked a GT or NC State over an Ole Miss or Florida for a last playoff spot you would see Sankey go nuclear. Yet, when it happened to FSU we send out a tweet.

Im sure Phillips is a nice and honorable man as Forensic points out. And I had high hopes when he was named as Commish as we couldn’t have done any worse than where we were. But so far under his watch the biggest news reagarding the ACC is teams wanting to leave and litigation. Most people aren’t even aware we added 2 teams because all the air has gone to FSU.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Sankey has already commented that the SEC needs to follow the ACC. European games produce strong demand with very little alternative competition. And fans love it.
Again, actions, not words. Sankey hasn’t done it because he knows it’s a stupid business decision regardless of the garbage he patronizes the media with. He certainly didn’t put the LSU/USC game in Ireland. He put it in Vegas because he knows what fans want.

And fans love what? I certainly do not love GT losing a home game so we can play in another country. I’ll be in Ireland and I’m sure I’ll have a good time. But what does that do to help us in Atlanta with building our paying fanbase? or for our fans who simply can’t drop 5-7K and a week away from home? A agree that a small subset of fans love it, but that wont help us in any way. We could have had that game many other locations in a better time slot that more fans would have loved. Unless, you believe somehow we’ll have Irishmen buying season tickets and jetting across the pond because they became rapid GT fans due to this game. We can’t even get a large portion of our students who live across from the stadium to come to games.

bhoffman123

Georgia Tech Fan
Again, actions, not words. Sankey hasn’t done it because he knows it’s a stupid business decision regardless of the garbage he patronizes the media with. He certainly didn’t put the LSU/USC game in Ireland. He put it in Vegas because he knows what fans want.

And fans love what? I certainly do not love GT losing a home game so we can play in another country. I’ll be in Ireland and I’m sure I’ll have a good time. But what does that do to help us in Atlanta with building our paying fanbase? or for our fans who simply can’t drop 5-7K and a week away from home? A agree that a small subset of fans love it, but that wont help us in any way. We could have had that game many other locations in a better time slot that more fans would have loved. Unless, you believe somehow we’ll have Irishmen buying season tickets and jetting across the pond because they became rapid GT fans due to this game. We can’t even get a large portion of our students who live across from the stadium to come to games.
Last time we were in Ireland there was a significant Tech crowd. Got loud as we beat up on BC.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Hopeless. Strong opinions unsupported by fact.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This lack of leadership allows mediocrity to thrive.
So tell us again, how EXACTLY did ACC conference leadership contribute to FSU’s 5 year fall from grace? How EXACTLY did ACC conference leadership contribute to Clemson’s refusal to play the money game (and almost got Dabo fired). I could go on and on …

You claim this ad nauseum but provide no evidence. Ever.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
So tell us again, how EXACTLY did ACC conference leadership contribute to FSU’s 5 year fall from grace? How EXACTLY did ACC conference leadership contribute to Clemson’s refusal to play the money game (and almost got Dabo fired). I could go on and on …

Got to be the failure of ACC leadership to create a positive working environment for the schools to hire the right coaches. ;)

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Last time we were in Ireland there was a significant Tech crowd. Got loud as we beat up on BC.
And those fans would travel anywhere including to Bobby Dodd. What did the average GT fan gain from missing a home game? How many sidewalk fans did we gain in Dublin?

This is what is wrong with the ACC. We are snobs who think we are better than everyone so of course our hard core 15,000 fans deserve a game in Ireland. Meanwhile the SEC and BIG play to their actual fanbase which is why they don’t play games in stupid locations where there is nothing to gain.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

You’re right. The ACC is just fine how it is. The leadership we have promotes all teams and pushes us to greatness with each passing day. I look forward to watching our 3-4 teams co Pete in the playoff system. It will be a month long commercial for the ACC. Long live Phillips and his incredible business acumen.