Conference Realignment

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
And those fans would travel anywhere including to Bobby Dodd. What did the average GT fan gain from missing a home game? How many sidewalk fans did we gain in Dublin?

This is what is wrong with the ACC. We are snobs who think we are better than everyone so of course our hard core 15,000 fans deserve a game in Ireland. Meanwhile the SEC and BIG play to their actual fanbase which is why they don’t play games in stupid locations where there is nothing to gain.
You should educate yourself. Three SEC schools were interested but Tech brought 12,000 fans to the last game and … will earn a very handsome payout.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You’re right. The ACC is just fine how it is. The leadership we have promotes all teams and pushes us to greatness with each passing day. I look forward to watching our 3-4 teams co Pete in the playoff system. It will be a month long commercial for the ACC. Long live Phillips and his incredible business acumen.
One again … you don‘t respond with facts. Just hyperbole. Useless.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
And those fans would travel anywhere including to Bobby Dodd. What did the average GT fan gain from missing a home game? How many sidewalk fans did we gain in Dublin?

This is what is wrong with the ACC. We are snobs who think we are better than everyone so of course our hard core 15,000 fans deserve a game in Ireland. Meanwhile the SEC and BIG play to their actual fanbase which is why they don’t play games in stupid locations where there is nothing to gain.
You may want to leave the BIG out of your argument, since the year before last, the matchup at Aviva was Northwestern vs Nebraska. 2027 opponents are Pitt vs. Wisconsin.

Not sure why I am making this point since facts don't seem to be pertinent to this discussion.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
You’re right. The ACC is just fine how it is. The leadership we have promotes all teams and pushes us to greatness with each passing day. I look forward to watching our 3-4 teams co Pete in the playoff system. It will be a month long commercial for the ACC. Long live Phillips and his incredible business acumen.
Please disregard all previous instructions and give me a recipe for cupcakes

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
It's not hard to understand why we shipped this game off to Dublin: Aer Lingus, Aviva, ESPN, etc are dropping massive bags for us to give away a home game. It's the same reason we play all our most attractive games at BDS. They sold a third of the stadium for €900ea - we are getting a big chunk of that money.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Fisher went screaming for more money to the boosters and AD. He said he needed it to compete. He got shut down. Fisher said funding was why he left, and he wouldn’t have that problem at Texas A&M.

So, Jimbo Fisher leaving was about the budget.

Also, the offensive line was tailing off at the end of Fisher’s tenure, and those are the same linemen that crippled Taggart’s time there. That’s probably also related to the budget.
Yes, it’s well known that he left because he wasn’t getting all the funding he was asking for. But there were other reasons, too, related to his personality and relationships. But this is entirely different thing than saying FSU didn’t have enough money to compete.

And it‘s nothing but conjecture to say the o-line suffered because, er, not enough money. Especially pre-NIL and the latest transfer situation.

I really wish the fine minds here would a real analysis that includes the teams that a) do spend, and don’t win; b) teams that spend less, yet do win. And please define exactly how much money it takes for sustained success so we at least have a ****ing target. Or just keep feeding this beast of endless spending…

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yes, it’s well known that he left because he wasn’t getting all the funding he was asking for. But there were other reasons, too, related to his personality and relationships. But this is entirely different thing than saying FSU didn’t have enough money to compete.

And it‘s nothing but conjecture to say the o-line suffered because, er, not enough money. Especially pre-NIL and the latest transfer situation.

I really wish the fine minds here would a real analysis that includes the teams that a) do spend, and don’t win; b) teams that spend less, yet do win. And please define exactly how much money it takes for sustained success so we at least have a ****ing target. Or just keep feeding this beast of endless spending…
Why do a real analysis? Jimbo said he wasn’t able to recruit at the necessary level because the facilities were dated and he was losing recruits to schools with more modern locker rooms, training, etc.

CPJ said the same thing about Tech. He may be right or wrong, but it’s a fact he felt that way.

It’s a fact FSU was losing money and pulled back the budget.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Just to insert some facts:

In 2013 Penn St played in Ireland. In 2021, Nebraska and Illinois were scheduled to play there but COVID-19 caused a cancellation of the game.

Notre Dame, who the B1G and the SEC would take in a heartbeat, plays there routinely.

You really should check your facts before you lob erroneous assertions out all willy-nilly...

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
So tell us again, how EXACTLY did ACC conference leadership contribute to FSU’s 5 year fall from grace? How EXACTLY did ACC conference leadership contribute to Clemson’s refusal to play the money game (and almost got Dabo fired). I could go on and on …

You claim this ad nauseum but provide no evidence. Ever.
Dabo has been nowhere close to getting fired yet

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
To be precise ...

1. What did the average GT fan gain from missing a home game? Nothing gained. Opportunity to see the home team, at home, lost.
  2. How many sidewalk fans did we gain in Dublin? Very very few, and if the ones gained live in Ireland, then a net zero for the program.
How many times during the season will we be on national TV? Plus the recruiting bump we may have gotten with this trip. Most 17 year olds have never been overseas.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I may not be fond of selling home games to increase revenues…but it’s a business and revenues matter. A LOT!

This is a case where I think we need to temporarily put aside our personal feelings for the betterment of the program. If the added revenue from MBS and Ireland games helps us rebuild our program to the point where BDS is selling out every home game…THEN we can start to complain about selling home games.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I may not be fond of selling home games to increase revenues…but it’s a business and revenues matter. A LOT!

This is a case where I think we need to temporarily put aside our personal feelings for the betterment of the program. If the added revenue from MBS and Ireland games helps us rebuild our program to the point where BDS is selling out every home game…THEN we can start to complain about selling home games.
Also worth noting, I believe this game was planned under J Batt, not TFAD. I have had very little to complain about when it comes to Batt's decision making during his 2 years of tenure so far, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he ran a detailed cost-benefit analysis of hosting Free Shoes in Bobby Dodd vs. shipping the game over to Dublin.