Conference Realignment

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
There is a dual degree program with GT and Emory in the Biomedical Engineering program. I have a colleague who got her Ph.D. though that program. He has a degree from GT AND from Emory.
My daughter was recently awarded her Ph.D. in this program. Proud Papa here
Proud Ride Or Die GIF by Tony Awards

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My daughter was recently awarded her Ph.D. in this program. Proud Papa here
Proud Ride Or Die GIF by Tony Awards
Young man at my condo is getting a masters degree.
Forensic, you , and all of us gt alumns are grateful for the bor allowing us to have that course of study.

I was trying to address the tremendous revenue and prestige for gt if we had a medical school with practicing hospital would brinng

Why ATL does not have 2 or three like Houston is a mystery.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Young man at my condo is getting a masters degree.
Forensic, you , and all of us gt alumns are grateful for the bor allowing us to have that course of study.

I was trying to address the tremendous revenue and prestige for gt if we had a medical school with practicing hospital would brinng

Why ATL does not have 2 or three like Houston is a mystery.
Redneck agenda

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
Okay, getting back to the conference realignment subject at hand…whether it’s any of you or some other Tech fan who pulled all these sources together in a timeline, it’s an interesting thing to consider.

I don't hate it. Adding three new states and the best that's left to help with Calford travel is fine. I'd like to have Arizona and Arizona State somehow if we're doing this Western division.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't hate it. Adding three new states and the best that's left to help with Calford travel is fine. I'd like to have Arizona and Arizona State somehow if we're doing this Western division.
And I feel conflicted. I thought adding teams like Pittsburgh, Boston College and Syracuse would spice things up but every team the ACC adds seems to hit their lowest point historically, even Miami and FSU. Part of me thinks the ACC still might discover its secret sauce after all these years and part of me thinks we just need to join the B1G.

Did I say I was conflicted?

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
And I feel conflicted. I thought adding teams like Pittsburgh, Boston College and Syracuse would spice things up but every team the ACC adds seems to hit their lowest point historically, even Miami and FSU. Part of me thinks the ACC still might discover its secret sauce after all these years and part of me thinks we just need to join the B1G.

You forgot VT

1716913721473.png

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Every team ebbs and flows. Eight years after Herschel and a natty, UGA hired Ray Goff. All teams do this to some degree. Chasing top teams is like chasing daily gains in the stock market.

Look who the SEC has added since 1992: USCe, Arky, Mizzou, and TAMU. Care to reflect on how powerful those have been? How many SEC football titles they’ve won? How many CFPs they’ve adorned?

No team has won the SEC football championship since 1992 except Florida (7), Alabama (11), Tennessee (2), Georgia (4), LSU (5), and Auburn (3) - six charter members.

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Agree with all but FSU. Since joining in 1991 and becoming eligible for the ACC title in 1992, FSU has won 50% of the ACC titles in that span. They joined the ACC and immediately won 9 in a row (including shared titles). They had two cool periods (2006-11, and 2015-22) but have since proven they can still recruit and play with anyone.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow

IIRC, Miami had a lot of input on the BC add. Prior to that, it seems like the targets were Miami, BC, Cuse. But UVA flexed and insisted on VT for expansion to move forward at all, period. I was thinking Miami preferred BC as the 3rd team over Cuse. Which is why they got an invite at all.

Anyone else recall why it was BC instead of Syracuse back then?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
IIRC, Miami had a lot of input on the BC add. Prior to that, it seems like the targets were Miami, BC, Cuse. But UVA flexed and insisted on VT for expansion to move forward at all, period. I was thinking Miami preferred BC as the 3rd team over Cuse. Which is why they got an invite at all.

Anyone else recall why it was BC instead of Syracuse back then?
BC and Miami had been rivals in their previous conference was what I recall.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Attached is an article with comments by Florida AD (Scott Strickland) concerning the possibility of voting for FSU to enter the SEC. I know these guys have to be "politically correct" especially when speaking at the SEC Spring meeting. but you may find the comments interesting. I did not see a NO in his comments.

Attachments

• Scott Stricklin addresses whether Florida would vote for, against adding Florida State to SEC.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 54

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

So FSU is trying to get the ESPN-ACC contract made public in order to force the ACC to allow them to leave. However, the SEC, Big10, and Big 12 all are against making such contracts public. If FSU is playing hardball and trying to force something that no other power conference wants to happen, where exactly do they hope to make friends and end up?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

So FSU is trying to get the ESPN-ACC contract made public in order to force the ACC to allow them to leave. However, the SEC, Big10, and Big 12 all are against making such contracts public. If FSU is playing hardball and trying to force something that no other power conference wants to happen, where exactly do they hope to make friends and end up?

They only want to make it public regarding this contract for their immediate purposes. It falls under the heading of hypocrisy.
We see this play out all the time, where an argument is made in one situation but quite the opposite argument would be made in another.
The lawyers for the other conferences know how the game works. They've probably made arguments themselves that are the opposite of other arguments made in different situations.
Lawyers and politicians are especially adept at this folderol. After this, FSU will quickly forget all about the idea making contracts public unless and until it once again suits their needs.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Watching the NCAA golf championship yesterday with FSU. In the past I would pull for an ACC team but I will never pull for FSU in anything. They are right up there with my distain for UGA.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Logic and reason left the building a long while back...

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Doesn't the ACC have any recourse such as excommunicating Clemson and FSU?

Doesn't the military court martial people for conduct unbecoming an officer?

Forcing them to remain in the conference only reinforces the perception that the ACC is weak and needs their money.

Throw the bums out.

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Doesn't the ACC have any recourse such as excommunicating Clemson and FSU?

Doesn't the military court martial people for conduct unbecoming an officer?

Forcing them to remain in the conference only reinforces the perception that the ACC is weak and needs their money.

Throw the bums out.
Except the ACC IS weak and needs their money

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

Is your prediction that FSU and Clemson end up in a conference outside of the P4?