Conference Realignment

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Bama, yes. uga, I’m not so sure about. Someone may have posted it already, but I haven’t gone back and read every single posting on this thread. Therefore I’ll just point out the NCAA data on graduation success rate (GSR) shows that out of 260 schools that play NCAA football, uga ranks #259 in GSR.
Where did Tech rank?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
They don’t produce our doctors. No Med School at uga.
Gt research produces so much for department of defense we compete in w research $ from medical research programs with hospital. Too bad state wont work to get gt hooked at hip w emory. In 69 i worked w gt prof doing med device design in conjunction w emory.

Last edited:

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m not picking at you when I say this but it always bothers me when people throw out African American studies as some kind of sham degree. It seems UNC created several sham programs over the years for athletes but the sham was not intrinsic to the subject matter but rather intrinsic to the system that was set up for athletes. Many years ago Michigan was accused of doing the very same thing with a variety of course offerings.

Anyway, I guess I’m touchy about African American studies because my daughter took these classes at a really good school in the northeast and of the three majors she had it was the most rigorous. It also landed her a job in the financial district in Manhattan.
You are correct, and I don’t mean to belittle a course of study. And I agree, the sham is the systematic approach to eligibility attainment, not the particular flavor of classes that is used to support that system.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
GT football GSR was 92% as of December 2023.
Not to quibble, but the number I saw was 88% (not a big enough spread to make a deal about). For comparison, uga’s rate was 41%. The 2nd worst SEC team was LSU, and they were at 69%, 28 percentage points better.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Anyway, I guess I’m touchy about African American studies because my daughter took these classes at a really good school in the northeast and of the three majors she had it was the most rigorous. It also landed her a job in the financial district in Manhattan.
Genuinely curious, how did she land a job in finance from an AfAm degree? Can DM me if you don't want to post, or feel free to ignore completely

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I’m not picking at you when I say this but it always bothers me when people throw out African American studies as some kind of sham degree. It seems UNC created several sham programs over the years for athletes but the sham was not intrinsic to the subject matter but rather intrinsic to the system that was set up for athletes. Many years ago Michigan was accused of doing the very same thing with a variety of course offerings.

Did she get 3 hours credit and no class attendance the entire semester. One paper required at the end of the semester and graded by the department secretary (not the professor) who would call the coach and ask how important the grade was to remain eligible. That's what they were doing at UNC. Half the class enrollment was athletes and not just FB either. It went on for 16 years. UNC is usually ranked about the same as GT as an academic institution. How about them apples?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Bama, yes. uga, I’m not so sure about. Someone may have posted it already, but I haven’t gone back and read every single posting on this thread. Therefore I’ll just point out the NCAA data on graduation success rate (GSR) shows that out of 260 schools that play NCAA football, uga ranks #259 in GSR.
Soooooo... To say they had the worst graduation rate is flat out not true! 😉

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, my CFO had a degree in theology. On hiring, they trained her. She was really good.
Exactly. My daughter graduated with honors with three degrees so she proved to be trainable. But she also became a liaison with HBCUs in the southeast and her degree helped in making connections. She was good at creating wins for her company and for her clients. Quickly got offers and promotions for other jobs and ended up in administration at an ACC university. That’s enough sharing.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Gt research produces so much for department of defense we compete in w research $ from medical research programs with hospital. Too bad state wont work to get gt hooked at hip w emory. In 69 i worked w gt prof doing med device design in conjunction w emory.
There is a dual degree program with GT and Emory in the Biomedical Engineering program. I have a colleague who got her Ph.D. though that program. He has a degree from GT AND from Emory.

slugboy

Staff member
So where did we rank? 1st, 3rd, 8th, 12th?
We do very well, but other ACC teams do as well. It depends on how many schools and how many years you look at. Some schools have 100% success rates

If you just look at football for 2003, all divisions, we aren’t even top 10

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, my CFO had a degree in theology. On hiring, they trained her. She was really good.
The legacy of a college degree today is you are capable of learning and completing a long-term task. Except for certain highly technical fields, the discipline the degree is in is far less important.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Did she get 3 hours credit and no class attendance the entire semester. One paper required at the end of the semester and graded by the department secretary (not the professor) who would call the coach and ask how important the grade was to remain eligible. That's what they were doing at UNC. Half the class enrollment was athletes and not just FB either. It went on for 16 years. UNC is usually ranked about the same as GT as an academic institution. How about them apples?
And ine of their former FB okayers from that era decided to “make an example” of Tech when BayBay took $200 worth of clothes from his cousin and Rad ignored his ludicrous attempt to hide his investigation by telling the HC what was going in during the biggest week of the season.