Conference Realignment

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of having as many conference champions as possible in a playoff. The more the merrier!

In the basketball playoffs over the years I learned about, and got to watch, teams I’d never heard of who I thought I would not be interested in…teams like Marquette, Butler, Loyola Marymount, Davidson, Pepperdine, Gonzaga, Jacksonville, and the list goes on and on. Why did I watch schools I’d never heard of or would not have normally been interested in watching?

Easy.

I wanted to see the team they were playing against. I wanted to see how they did against heavy weights like Kentucky, UCLA, Duke or North Carolina. I wanted to scout the opposition. I wanted to see if some small student body somewhere could have their dreams fulfilled. I wanted to use this team as a measuring stick for how the entire tournament might go. And, as someone has pointed out, my team having been eliminated did not quell my interest in seeing how all this would finally play out, but, rather, increased my interest.

If there are, say, 24 teams in a college football playoff, you can bet Michigan vs Troy State in a first round would get decent ratings. Michigan haters would tune in to see what weakness Troy State exposed but could not exploit. Michigan fans would tune in to check out their team’s conditioning and efficiency. The fans of every team that might have to face Michigan would tune in to see what they are up against. The fans of every small school football program in the country that has a dream would tune in to watch their proxy team. This kind of interest would build with each round of games.

In the end it would not matter which particular game had the highest rating, whether it was in the second round or in the final. The whole package of ratings for the entire playoff would be the point. And those numbers would be crazy good.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of having as many conference champions as possible in a playoff. The more the merrier!

In the basketball playoffs over the years I learned about, and got to watch, teams I’d never heard of who I thought I would not be interested in…teams like Marquette, Butler, Loyola Marymount, Davidson, Pepperdine, Gonzaga, Jacksonville, and the list goes on and on. Why did I watch schools I’d never heard of or would not have normally been interested in watching?

Easy.

I wanted to see the team they were playing against. I wanted to see how they did against heavy weights like Kentucky, UCLA, Duke or North Carolina. I wanted to scout the opposition. I wanted to see if some small student body somewhere could have their dreams fulfilled. I wanted to use this team as a measuring stick for how the entire tournament might go. And, as someone has pointed out, my team having been eliminated did not quell my interest in seeing how all this would finally play out, but, rather, increased my interest.

If there are, say, 24 teams in a college football playoff, you can bet Michigan vs Troy State in a first round would get decent ratings. Michigan haters would tune in to see what weakness Troy State exposed but could not exploit. Michigan fans would tune in to check out their team’s conditioning and efficiency. The fans of every team that might have to face Michigan would tune in to see what they are up against. The fans of every small school football program in the country that has a dream would tune in to watch their proxy team. This kind of interest would build with each round of games.

In the end it would not matter which particular game had the highest rating, whether it was in the second round or in the final. The whole package of ratings for the entire playoff would be the point. And those numbers would be crazy good.
Alabama v Michigan had nearly 28M viewers. Michigan v Bowling Green (proxy for Troy) garnered less than 600K. To justify the media rights, ratings have to be at the lower end of an NFL broadcast… that’s the whole point of the realignments.

Basketball can do this … it only takes about $5-10 million to put on a competitive basketball program. Football requires $75M plus and the top programs over $100M.

I don’t see a 24 team playoff happening. The money isn’t there.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Autobids are obviously unrealistic but it would be better in many ways and should’ve happened long ago.

It would put more incentives around winning football and less around money.

Nothing would prevent teams from joining smaller conferences to have an easier path to the playoff.

Almost everyone BUT the teams currently in the Big 10 and SEC would benefit.

Would Miami join the ACC 20 years ago to risk turning a matchup with FSU from a playoff game to a conference game that would knock them out?

Yeah the first rounds would often be lopsided but they could have filled the TV space taken up by low-tier bowls.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Unbelievable… well not really unbelievable at all.
He simultaneously condemns those who complained about the decision while he complains about the decision while sitting atop his moral high horse, upon which he would NEVER do something so reprehensible as to complain about the decision…. Even though he of all people has the biggest grievance since the SEC was the victim in all of this.
Sounds about right.
If you read the SEC commissioner, he is now saying Top 5 ranked conference champions vs. Power 4 champs and one Group of 5 champion. Under that scenario (though not highly likely) you could have 2 Group of 5 conference champions ranked ahead of an ACC or Big 12 champ. Hasn't happened yet but under this scenario it would be possible.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If you read the SEC commissioner, he is now saying Top 5 ranked conference champions vs. Power 4 champs and one Group of 5 champion. Under that scenario (though not highly likely) you could have 2 Group of 5 conference champions ranked ahead of an ACC or Big 12 champ. Hasn't happened yet but under this scenario it would be possible.
That is what it was before, except for the qty. It wasn't P5 plus highest G5, it was top rated 6 conference winners. There always was a mathematical opportunity that a P5 could have been left out.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
@RonJohn has it right I believe… the intent was that at least one G5 champ was protected in the 6+6 scenario, but it didn’t GUARANTEE that the five P5 champs were.
When does the change actually happen? In theory, if no changes are made, the 6+6 still works and it guarantees two G5 spots… can’t imagine that will stand but they need everyone to buy in.

I’d like to see them go to something like:
- Top 5 conference champs
- Add’l G5 conf champ ranked in top 25 (if not one of top five champs)
- 1 At Large per each P4 conference, so long as they are top 20 teams.
- Best remaining at larges to fill out the field.

If they did that, the worst case for BIG/SEC would be all conferences get their full allotment and you have:
6 conference champs (P4 + two G5)
4 P4 at large teams (1 each per conf)
2 remaining at large (likely BIG/ SEC)

Best case for BIG/SEC; no second G5 champ in top 25(which is pretty likely most years) and ACC / Big12 don’t have a second team in top 20 (not as likely, but maybe). Then you could have:
5 conf champs
7 at large BIG/SEC

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
@RonJohn has it right I believe… the intent was that at least one G5 champ was protected in the 6+6 scenario, but it didn’t GUARANTEE that the five P5 champs were.
When does the change actually happen? In theory, if no changes are made, the 6+6 still works and it guarantees two G5 spots… can’t imagine that will stand but they need everyone to buy in.

I’d like to see them go to something like:
- Top 5 conference champs
- Add’l G5 conf champ ranked in top 25 (if not one of top five champs)
- 1 At Large per each P4 conference, so long as they are top 20 teams.
- Best remaining at larges to fill out the field.

If they did that, the worst case for BIG/SEC would be all conferences get their full allotment and you have:
6 conference champs (P4 + two G5)
4 P4 at large teams (1 each per conf)
2 remaining at large (likely BIG/ SEC)

Best case for BIG/SEC; no second G5 champ in top 25(which is pretty likely most years) and ACC / Big12 don’t have a second team in top 20 (not as likely, but maybe). Then you could have:
5 conf champs
7 at large BIG/SEC
Too complicated.

- Five conference champions
- 12 at-large selections

Do it just like March Madness. Rank the Top 25 (for example) using the NET evaluation tool. The highest ranked teams that are not already in as conference champion get a bid. Easy.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That is true, but even a first round win against a better higher seed would be newsworthy and create more buzz for the next game (and isn’t that all about what the committee wants?).
Didn't TCU win a couple of years ago?
Alabama v Michigan had nearly 28M viewers. Michigan v Bowling Green (proxy for Troy) garnered less than 600K. To justify the media rights, ratings have to be at the lower end of an NFL broadcast… that’s the whole point of the realignments.

Basketball can do this … it only takes about $5-10 million to put on a competitive basketball program. Football requires $75M plus and the top programs over $100M.

Apples and oranges. What about uga v. TCU versus Michigan v. TCU versus uga v tOSU? That's a better comparison. (I don't know the answer to the question)

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

Apples and oranges. What about uga v. TCU versus Michigan v. TCU versus uga v tOSU? That's a better comparison. (I don't know the answer to the question)
Here are the numbers:

2022 Peach Bowl: UGAg v. tOSU - 22.4M viewers
2022 Fiesta Bowl: UoM v. TCU - 21.7M viewers
2023 CFP CG: UGAg v. TCU - 17.1M viewers

By comparison, the other NY6 Bowl viewership:
2023 Rose Bowl: 10.2M viewers
2022 Sugar Bowl: 9.1M viewers
2022 Orange Bowl: 8.7M viewers
2023 Cotton Bowl: 4.2M viewers

The CFP CG was down but still beat the Rose Bowl by a hefty 70% margin.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Here are the numbers:

2022 Peach Bowl: UGAg v. tOSU - 22.4M viewers
2022 Fiesta Bowl: UoM v. TCU - 21.7M viewers
2023 CFP CG: UGAg v. TCU - 17.1M viewers

By comparison, the other NY6 Bowl viewership:
2023 Rose Bowl: 10.2M viewers
2022 Sugar Bowl: 9.1M viewers
2022 Orange Bowl: 8.7M viewers
2023 Cotton Bowl: 4.2M viewers

The CFP CG was down but still beat the Rose Bowl by a hefty 70% margin.
Oh, my bad. TCU has been in the B12 since 2012.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Too complicated.

- Five conference champions
- 12 at-large selections

Do it just like March Madness. Rank the Top 25 (for example) using the NET evaluation tool. The highest ranked teams that are not already in as conference champion get a bid. Easy.
Easy would be great, but I’m not sure that’s best.
I am certain there would be really good one or two loss ACC or big 12 at large teams who would be “ranked” 3 to 5 spots lower than the SEC or Big Ten teams with more losses. I think there should be something in place to bring in quality teams from conferences other than the SEC or Big Ten.
Yes, that makes it more complicated, but in my opinion better.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

What was the lowest rated, least lucrative playoff game in the last 9 years? 😊

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Michigan v TCU wasn’t a “first round” game. That was your premise and what I was responding to. Many fans skip opening rounds only to view later.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Easy would be great, but I’m not sure that’s best.
I am certain there would be really good one or two loss ACC or big 12 at large teams who would be “ranked” 3 to 5 spots lower than the SEC or Big Ten teams with more losses. I think there should be something in place to bring in quality teams from conferences other than the SEC or Big Ten.
Yes, that makes it more complicated, but in my opinion better.
The NET evaluation tool does just that. It’s not just wins and losses nor is it absolute ranking. It includes a number of factors that help select a worthy team … SOS, major wins, neutral field wins, point spreads, etc.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Michigan v TCU wasn’t a “first round” game. That was your premise and what I was responding to. Many fans skip opening rounds only to view later.
In what world does this happen? NCAA BB? Not likely. Offices often "close" at lunchtime on Thursday and Friday of Week 1 for the early round games because their employees stay at the bar/pub/etc.

If you're talking about the Pros, then, once again, apples and oranges.

I'm pretty sure Michigan/TCU was the first round.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
In what world does this happen? NCAA BB? Not likely. Offices often "close" at lunchtime on Thursday and Friday of Week 1 for the early round games because their employees stay at the bar/pub/etc.

If you're talking about the Pros, then, once again, apples and oranges.

I'm pretty sure Michigan/TCU was the first round.
Michigan v TCU was one of FOUR. @Northeast Stinger was proposing the first round of 24. Very different.