Conference Realignment

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
You’re assuming they get byes. Read @Northeast Stinger’s post. He didn’t say bye. He said Nr 24 playing Nr 1. Playing.

I just don’t see that game getting the viewers needed to justify the media rights. If you do, great.
Nowhere did I mention #24. Please don’t put words in my mouth. I proposed either a 12 or two 8-team playoffs.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I am sorry, but is 2007 some ancient period in history. Also, did a less talented lower level team beat a team with far superior talent or did they not?
16 years ago. If that’s your case you have no case. College football in 2007 is not like 2024 at all. Money, NIL, etc.

Of course LNJ never quits. I suspect you were a hell of a Marine.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
You suggested a G5 conference champ could never win a CFP game. Never is a long time. A lot longer than 16 years.
No I am saying giving auto bids to all G5 conference champs is stupid. Several folks have said that is the “fair” way to do the CFP. I strongly disagree with that. Top G5 should get an auto bid.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You’re assuming they get byes. Read @Northeast Stinger’s post. He didn’t say bye. He said Nr 24 playing Nr 1. Playing.

I just don’t see that game getting the viewers needed to justify the media rights. If you do, great.
Where did I say number 24 playing number one?

If said that anywhere I certainty misspoke. What I suggested was a first round using, just as a hypothetical example, Michigan vs Troy State. I don’t think I said Troy was number one or Michigan. I was describing an underdog situation which was my main thesis. I also never suggested either team had a bye.

I’m still not sure what you are arguing about. I was saying America loves an underdog sports story. I’m waiting for you to prove that wrong, not sidetrack about who did or did not have a bye.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Where did I say number 24 playing number one?

If said that anywhere I certainty misspoke. What I suggested was a first round using, just as a hypothetical example, Michigan vs Troy State. I don’t think I said Troy was number one or Michigan. I was describing an underdog situation which was my main thesis. I also never suggested either team had a bye.

I’m still not sure what you are arguing about. I was saying America loves an underdog sports story. I’m waiting for you to prove that wrong, not sidetrack about who did or did not have a bye.
As a bystander, there are 291 pages in this thread and someone did say a 24 team playoff with 1 vs 24. I asked how that was going to work :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
As a bystander, there are 291 pages in this thread and someone did say a 24 team playoff with 1 vs 24. I asked how that was going to work :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Of course. But I feel like I got pulled into an argument I was not making while completely derailing what I was discussing which is that in every other college tournaments underdogs are beloved.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
16 years ago. If that’s your case you have no case. College football in 2007 is not like 2024 at all. Money, NIL, etc.

Of course LNJ never quits. I suspect you were a hell of a Marine.
ARE a hellava Marine. The only ex-Marine is a dead Marine. I assume LNJ is still kicking. My father is a Purple Fox. Went by the moniker Bronco.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
ESPN started talking about a “tainted Michigan championship” as soon as Alabama was knocked out.

They made a quick one sentence reference tonight as soon as the championship game was over.

We can’t get away from the propaganda war. This is the war that sunk FSU and which is ALREADY lobbying to have multiple SEC teams in the playoffs next year.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I wasn’t assuming either Michigan or Troy State got a bye.

But you must have assumed one of them should have had a bye. Am I missing something?
It‘s irrelevant. Your premise is that a Troy University v Michigan would draw decent ratings. I don’t think it would.

I’m done with this. Moving on …

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It‘s irrelevant. Your premise is that a Troy University v Michigan would draw decent ratings. I don’t think it would.

Agree that we sidetracked on an irrelevant issue.

You could be right about the poor ratings. I just think it’s an open question. Every other college sport gets decent interest for a legitimate playoff format that gives everybody a chance. Top division football has never tried that.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

It doesn’t flipping matter! It’s a championship playoff not a TV extravaganza. That’s what you’re missing. If the point is to make money for ESPN then do your own tourny and invite whoever you darn well please only don’t hook it to the NC. If it’s a true championship tournament then invite conf champs and play it off.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It doesn’t flipping matter! It’s a championship playoff not a TV extravaganza. That’s what you’re missing. If the point is to make money for ESPN then do your own tourny and invite whoever you darn well please only don’t hook it to the NC. If it’s a true championship tournament then invite conf champs and play it off.
Yeah, they are determined to die on this hill. Not sure why so many have bought the playoff committee’s talking point that this is not about earning a playoff spot but is really about entertainment. I think college basketball tournaments prove you can do both of those at the same time.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, they are determined to die on this hill. Not sure why so many have bought the playoff committee’s talking point that this is not about earning a playoff spot but is really about entertainment. I think college basketball tournaments prove you can do both of those at the same time.
I'm not sure why people keep equating G5 conferences with P5 conferences.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Actually you are dieing on the hill wanting all the G5 Champions in the CFP. It's humorous all season this board bashed UGA for playing a weak schedule with several G5 teams and yet now somehow thing those weak G5 teams are equal to the P4 teams. LOL
International Cat Day Cats GIF by BuzzFeed

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure why people keep equating G5 conferences with P5 conferences.
No one is equating, but we are including. It’s simple. Please follow along…
A. FBS is subdivided into two divisions: P4/5 and G5.
B. The CFP winner becomes the FBS champion, of both divisions.
C. Therefore, both divisions should have representation in the CFP.
D. This can be determined in a smokey back room, or it can be done by competing on the field.
E. Many prefer competing on the field to smokey back room deals.

I expect everyone but Root to comprehend this. :p

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
No one is equating, but we are including. It’s simple. Please follow along…
A. FBS is subdivided into two divisions: P4/5 and G5.
B. The CFP winner becomes the FBS champion, of both divisions.
C. Therefore, both divisions should have representation in the CFP.
D. This can be determined in a smokey back room, or it can be done by competing on the field.
E. Many prefer competing on the field to smokey back room deals.

I expect everyone but Root to comprehend this. :p
It is determined on the field and then a smokeless room that seeds the "best" teams. Simply look at cumulative G5 vs P5 records any given year and the P4/5 teams win 80%+ of the games. The P4/5 teams have earned their seeding based on performance. The 12 team CFP will be much better than the BCS or 4 tem CFP. At least one G5 team will have a chance every year. It would be great if they actually were competitive or one a first round game! Very low odds though.

You seem to favor participation trophies 🏆- let's give everyone a trophy! Funny. But keep fighting the battle you know is lost and has zero chance of happening. I assume you like fighting lost causes! Maybe you are the Jubal Early of the CFP! The Myth of the G5 Lost Cause! :unsure: :ROFLMAO: :p
Industry Rishi GIF by HBO