Conference Realignment

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Y
Thanks for the content
FOOTBALL
Imho, tv guys will use your list of past performance and add what are u doing lately to the overall viewer potrntial. In the next adjustment they will decide who gets sent down to G5 or lower. Take it or leave it Walk Away Money will be given to those being sent to G5. The middle ( gt) rest will pledge to maintain other sources revenue to sustain a quality product.

Looking at the bottom half of your long term list: i see 3 teams duke, wake, ncst) who are located within 30 miles and have limited population. 2 need to go to G5.
You haven't been to Raleigh Durham area in a while, have you? Not a limited population anymore.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll be happy when this finishes this week regardless of outcome. No one will want this bleeding into the season.

It feels like the big holdup right now is not whether to admit more members, but how to divvy the money up that they bring in. Will it all go equally to current members? Will it all go into some sort of performance based pot? I think neither of those is likely nor what will be the ultimate outcome. I expect that if this happens there will be an agreement among the current members of the additional money (Pete Thamel is reporting it is likely to be an additional $50-60M per year) to put X% of that money into a pot that everyone shares and 100-X% into a pot that is based on performance. The current members are just trying to come to an agreement on what X is.

I'd also be all in favor of telling ND if they want Stanford and Cal added that they have to increase their games played against ACC teams by 1 per year - from 5 to 6 and ACC will guarantee that it will play one of Stanford or Cal every year (and if they want to schedule the other as a non-ACC Game that is up to them).

Finally, ACC has just such a self-loathing problem in its fanbases. B12 has much happier fanbases and presents a much more united front, even though it has a worse media contract and no likelihood of ever having a better media contract than the ACC. Fans of alot of schools need to get over the fact that the majority of the schools in the ACC will never get Big 2 level media contracts. And even if they did they would still end up with budgets smaller than most of the Big 2 schools because those schools are bringing in alot more non-media contract driven revenue - largely because they are much larger schools.

Ultimately a handful of ACC Schools may get more money, but not as many as some think.

As far as FSU is concerned I would very simply allow them to leave under the contracts they have signed. You are welcome to leave the conference, you owe us 3X the ACC annual revenue ($120M) and we will hold your media rights through 2036 at which point you can have them back. Of course no other power conference would touch them for a decade since they cannot bring their media rights with them.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Y
You haven't been to Raleigh Durham area in a while, have you? Not a limited population anymore.
Not sure u missed my divide by 3 point.

Dallas, San fran/ Oakland, Atlanta are giant pro football markets. Tv guys will want to have pro content on Sunday and College on Saturday = bundled, streamed w betting on side.

These 3 schools are fishing out of same remote pond to be $$ sustainable (unless they get giant donor pledges)

I am sure that RD is a great place, but they won't get three p5 tv teams in next shake out.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Not sure u missed my divide by 3 point.

Dallas, San fran/ Oakland, Atlanta are giant pro football markets. Tv guys will want to have pro content on Sunday and College on Saturday = bundled, streamed w betting on side.

These 3 schools are fishing out of same remote pond to be $$ sustainable (unless they get giant donor pledges)

I am sure that RD is a great place, but they won't get three p5 tv teams in next shake out.
What about Athens or Tuscaloosa or Starkville? Where are those markets ranked?

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll be happy when this finishes this week regardless of outcome. No one will want this bleeding into the season.

It feels like the big holdup right now is not whether to admit more members, but how to divvy the money up that they bring in. Will it all go equally to current members? Will it all go into some sort of performance based pot? I think neither of those is likely nor what will be the ultimate outcome. I expect that if this happens there will be an agreement among the current members of the additional money (Pete Thamel is reporting it is likely to be an additional $50-60M per year) to put X% of that money into a pot that everyone shares and 100-X% into a pot that is based on performance. The current members are just trying to come to an agreement on what X is.

I'd also be all in favor of telling ND if they want Stanford and Cal added that they have to increase their games played against ACC teams by 1 per year - from 5 to 6 and ACC will guarantee that it will play one of Stanford or Cal every year (and if they want to schedule the other as a non-ACC Game that is up to them).

Finally, ACC has just such a self-loathing problem in its fanbases. B12 has much happier fanbases and presents a much more united front, even though it has a worse media contract and no likelihood of ever having a better media contract than the ACC. Fans of alot of schools need to get over the fact that the majority of the schools in the ACC will never get Big 2 level media contracts. And even if they did they would still end up with budgets smaller than most of the Big 2 schools because those schools are bringing in alot more non-media contract driven revenue - largely because they are much larger schools.

Ultimately a handful of ACC Schools may get more money, but not as many as some think.

As far as FSU is concerned I would very simply allow them to leave under the contracts they have signed. You are welcome to leave the conference, you owe us 3X the ACC annual revenue ($120M) and we will hold your media rights through 2036 at which point you can have them back. Of course no other power conference would touch them for a decade since they cannot bring their media rights with them.
The self-loathing is so true. Some on this board fit that mold also.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
ACC has just such a self-loathing problem in its fanbases.
Whatever gives you that impression......

Season 1 Love GIF by The Roku Channel

:cool: :buzz:

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
He's probably talking about 10 years from now. I'd put the chances of ACC keeping everyone that's here now at 0%.
LOL. people worried about 2036? I won't be around, and neither will many of you. Also college sports won't resemble today's version. Let's make the best of the now and near future. Elanor Rosevelt quote " yesterday is history, tommorrow is a mystery, today is a gift" . Make the most of it. Worrying about 13 years from now is dumb.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
LOL. people worried about 2036? I won't be around, and neither will many of you. Also college sports won't resemble today's version. Let's make the best of the now and near future. Elanor Rosevelt quote " yesterday is history, tommorrow is a mystery, today is a gift" . Make the most of it. Worrying about 13 years from now is dumb.

Unless, you know, you’re one of us who will most likely still be here well into the 2050’s…

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Could the schools who vote against this expansion use it (Legally) as a legit reason to get out of the ACC?
Wouldn't have any impact on the GOR, unless the GOR is renegotiated at the same time. Schools are free to leave when they want to.(If they announce now, it would be 2025 at the earliest) They just have to pay the exit fee and leave without their media broadcast rights.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Could the schools who vote against this expansion use it (Legally) as a legit reason to get out of the ACC?
Just because they don’t like it doesn’t necessarily give them a grievance to use in negotiations or thru legal channels
The bylaws (to which they are also held) layout all of the parameters used for these decisions and as long as those bylaws are followed, no one can do much more than gripe about it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I've said it before, I only care about the ACC because GT is a member. I think GT will be part of the P2...we're in the heart of the #6 media market, in the fastest growing region in the country, and despite what happened to GT under Collins, GT is still a good to very good program. Fans make judgements on what a team is currently doing, University Presidents and media companies (who will ultimately make the expansion decision) look at schools for multiple other reasons and they take the long view as opposed to the short view of fans. B1G wants to be in the South, and Atlanta will be ultimate boon for the B1G once the GOR ends. It's a 50+ year decision for the B1G (and even the SEC), so unless GT falls even further than where we're at now (this is the lowest GT has been since I've been a fan), I fully expect for GT to be central in other conference's expansion plans.

IMO, GT not taking the "long view" in 2012 has already cost us, and will cost us even more as the years go by. While I get the whole "worrying about 13 years from now is dumb", it was almost 13 years ago that GT made the fateful decision. A decade goes a lot faster than you think.