Conference Realignment

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Let’s say all of this happens, how will it affect football scheduling? How will the two CG contenders be picked? How many conference games per season? Will ND count?

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Let’s say all of this happens, how will it affect football scheduling? How will the two CG contenders be picked? How many conference games per season? Will ND count?

Since the ACC uses a formant of 3+5+5. I assume we would follow a similar format where we play Permanent opponents and rotate the balance of the conference. Seventeen Teams make it Hard to see a good format.

At 16 Teams, we could go to 3 + 6 + 6 This would require 9 conference games rather than 8.
At 16 teams, we could go to 1 + 7 + 7 We could stay at 8 Conference games with one Permanent(Clemson?).

Add one more team for 18. ND we hope.

AT 18 Teams, we could go to 3 + 7 + 7 This would require 10 conference games.
At 18 Teams, we could go to 1 + 8 + 8 This would require 9 conference games. The one would be Most likely since we play UGA.

I am assuming that the conference will still require that every school play each member Home and Away every 4 years.

I definitely did not answer your question, the above just shows the difficulty with an odd number like 17.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe ESPN can threaten to withhold all ESPN products from those cable companies if they don't agree to pay extra for the ACC network, it's part of the bundle. ESPN has a lot more leverage in that regard than Bally. Almost nobody is dropping their cable provider over Bally not being available, but lots of people will drop their cable provider if they can't get ESPN.
You’re right that ESPN has more leverage but I don’t think it’s as huge a difference as it looks at first. Not having access to your local NBA/MLB/NHL teams is pretty significant yet some of the online players turned Bally down on and nobody really won that standoff.

The new streaming services change the game a bit because people have more options for cable and losing some customers may be better for some of the online companies rather than being unprofitable for every customer. They don’t have the sink infrastructure costs to pay down but have higher ongoing per-subscriber operational costs instead in many ways.

That said I don’t think it would get that far. I just would expect at least some of Hulu, YouTube, and Sling to push back HARD on paying a lot more in Dallas or the Bay Area in a way that wouldn’t have happened 5 or 10 years ago. ESPN isn’t exactly incentivized to run an experiment on “how many cable subscribers would be ok paying way less in exchange for no ESPN” either, after all.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My neighbor says it appears the UNC AA is on board with whatever happens. Apparently, some of the Olympic sports will stay with west coast affiliations and some will come to the ACC. That is not a surprise. None of the ND football games will count as ACC games. Same as now. Stanford has men's volleyball and that is not an ACC sport. The question for Stanford is whether to move the Women's Volleyball team to the ACC. Soccer was a much bigger hurdle for the folks inside the AA. The Women's coach was hard set against having national power Stanford in the ACC.

So, my question was, "Is this a done deal?" His answer was, "I think so. The details are important and there's still anxiety about the travel cost for students in time away from class."

My next question, "So, the money is settled?" His answer, "There's not many options. No one is giving up any of their current share and everyone will get money to cover travel. Stanford and Cal will get a partial share. There's not much left over as incentives. "So, FSU and Clemson are still voting NO?" He thinks that is correct. His opinion, not what he's heard, is that Clemson and FSU want all the incentive money from the media dollars to be football related. The ACC has already approved a plan for the CFP and NCAAT money.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My neighbor says it appears the UNC AA is on board with whatever happens. Apparently, some of the Olympic sports will stay with west coast affiliations and some will come to the ACC. That is not a surprise. None of the ND football games will count as ACC games. Same as now. Stanford has men's volleyball and that is not an ACC sport. The question for Stanford is whether to move the Women's Volleyball team to the ACC. Soccer was a much bigger hurdle for the folks inside the AA. The Women's coach was hard set against having national power Stanford in the ACC.

So, my question was, "Is this a done deal?" His answer was, "I think so. The details are important and there's still anxiety about the travel cost for students in time away from class."

My next question, "So, the money is settled?" His answer, "There's not many options. No one is giving up any of their current share and everyone will get money to cover travel. Stanford and Cal will get a partial share. There's not much left over as incentives. "So, FSU and Clemson are still voting NO?" He thinks that is correct. His opinion, not what he's heard, is that Clemson and FSU want all the incentive money from the media dollars to be football related. The ACC has already approved a plan for the CFP and NCAAT money.
Thanks for the update.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer

Any chance it's 'take a neighbor to work day' today in NC?

slugboy

Staff member
Both of us have full-time jobs keeping our lawns mowed and making sure the beer is consumed before the expiration date. That's what GT and UNC have in common.

I don’t always keep up with the expiration dates—or even close to it—and I occasionally have to throw out beer.😭

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
ND is the deal for the ACC.
Imo, its a bigger deal for gt.
Assuming gt can present as a sustainable quality football team, the rivalry between ND and Gt will be a good tv hype. No need for the top ACC to play them before payoffs. We are a better match that the other mid to bottom acc teams.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Who cares about academics at this point though, it's trying to stay afloat!

The university presidents. While for us fans, football, and to a lesser degree basketball, are seemingly the most important considerations, the presidents of each institution are still very much concerned with the academic portion. It's a main reason why the B1G has only invited AAU accredited schools. That's important to them. The beauty of adding Stanford and Cal are that they are both AAU accredited schools, and while SMU lacks AAU accreditation, they are a top 100 national university, ranking 72nd. They are probably the three best schools remaining that do a good job of mixing academics and sports.