Conference Realignment

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
i didn't know beer had an expiration date, I buy it and it's gone the next day do you think I'm safe?

I've drunk beer that was in my mom's refrigerator for years and did just fine. Didn't know the expiration date was anything other than a PR ploy to get you to throw it out.

Back to conference realignment, shouldn't we cut Clempy and FSU share to pay for additional expenses? Or do that have to be unanimous? (tic)

Also, won't this addition of schools make the GoR have a higher impact with ACC games added and more difficult for FSU and Clempy to get out?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don’t always keep up with the expiration dates—or even close to it—and I occasionally have to throw out beer.😭
I should have "bolded" the sarcasm alert. Beer never has a chance to expire with us. Unless some guest brings a six-pack of Corona. Of course, they would only do that once.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
ND is the deal for the ACC.
Imo, its a bigger deal for gt.
Assuming gt can present as a sustainable quality football team, the rivalry between ND and Gt will be a good tv hype. No need for the top ACC to play them before payoffs. We are a better match that the other mid to bottom acc teams.
I wish we were a good match for ND. Our record vs them is 6-27-1. We need to become a much better team going forward.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I just became jealous of Stanford and we haven't even played one game. I see they have an 8180 Acre campus. As far as athletics, the availability to grow with better and larger facilities
plus additional sports is a problem for GT.

But send me one of your beers and I will be OK.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As far as Memphis, Tulane and SMU. I suspect that is a financial decision.
The B12 pro rata agreement with ESPN was for P5 additions (Which is why their non-P5 additions are getting less money). If ACC's contract with ESPN is similar than those three won't bring in full additional shares and therefore dilute the shares of the current members. If this expansion happens it is only going to happen because the 3 newcomers are willing to come in for less than full shares so there is some additional money to spread around to the current members.

Also, whether sports fans like it or not both the B1G and ACC put some weight on the quality of the school wanting to join that they are going to associate with. Probably the only time ACC really hasn't followed that is with L'ville. It is the Presidents, not the AD's, who vote on this and sports is only part of the equation for them.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I just became jealous of Stanford and we haven't even played one game. I see they have an 8180 Acre campus. As far as athletics, the availability to grow with better and larger facilities
plus additional sports is a problem for GT.

But send me one of your beers and I will be OK.
If you have never been to the Stanford campus you have missed a gorgeous college campus. Great location as well.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
As far as Memphis, Tulane and SMU. I suspect that is a financial decision.
The B12 pro rata agreement with ESPN was for P5 additions (Which is why their non-P5 additions are getting less money). If ACC's contract with ESPN is similar than those three won't bring in full additional shares and therefore dilute the shares of the current members. If this expansion happens it is only going to happen because the 3 newcomers are willing to come in for less than full shares so there is some additional money to spread around to the current members.

Also, whether sports fans like it or not both the B1G and ACC put some weight on the quality of the school wanting to join that they are going to associate with. Probably the only time ACC really hasn't followed that is with L'ville. It is the Presidents, not the AD's, who vote on this and sports is only part of the equation for them.
Good post RR

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That’s a 90s-Microsoft level move by the Big 10 in retrospect lol

College football has always been a business. Fans need to quit romanticizing about the sanctity of college sports, and let go of the illusion that there was some purity just because sports were played in college. Conferences aren't paid BILLIONS of dollars because of the purity of college sports. ADs and coaches aren't paid MILLIONS because of the sanctity of "amateurism".

The B1G and SEC just came to the realization before anyone else that in order to command the most money and insure their survival, they had to treat college sports like the professional business it is. Contrast that to the lamentations of Bud Peterson that college sports has become a big business...and it's probably why GT didn't leave for the B1G. Peterson wanted to stay with "like minded" schools that emphasized academics over athletics. Now here we are.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
Who cares about academics at this point though, it's trying to stay afloat!
The proper name for this school is Tiger High. They belong 10 steps below Louisville in academic standing. Might as well be an online diploma factory. Basketball is nothing but a cheating factory. Football is not much better. I’d rather have West Virginia and/or UConn.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I had a coworker that graduated from what was then called Memphis State. He was not brilliant, but had a gorgeous wife and keen sense of humor. I asked him why Memphis State? His reply was that he didn't think he would be accepted anywhere, but finally got a letter from Memphis that he was accepted off the wait list. Memphis has a wait list? Yes. For people who did ok in highschool but had terrible SAT scores. Definitely not an academic powerhouse.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Northern Cali is gorgeous. Drive the Pacific Coast Hwy, check out the vineyards in wine country, do some hiking among all the redwood forests, grab dinner in San Fran. Great trip for a football game.
It is indeedy. But I think it would be more fun for us than for members of the volleyball, softball, and baseball teams who have to get back to class the day after a game.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It is indeedy. But I think it would be more fun for us than for members of the volleyball, softball, and baseball teams who have to get back to class the day after a game.
Likely those teams will play both Stanford and Cal on the same trip west. The Pac 12, for non football sports, often played the distant schools back to back. USC/UCLA, Az/ASU, Oregon/OSU, Wash/WSU, Cal/Stanford. Utah/Col

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I would not spend a lot of energy wondering how this is all going to turn out. I know it's somewhat entertaining to pontificate about what should happen or even what is going to happen but at the end of the day, we don't get a vote. Georgia Tech will be fine. We have a solid leadership and the resources to remain in the game for the foreseeable future. Have a good weekend and let's get ready for Louisville.

Go Jackets!

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
The proper name for this school is Tiger High. They belong 10 steps below Louisville in academic standing. Might as well be an online diploma factory. Basketball is nothing but a cheating factory. Football is not much better. I’d rather have West Virginia and/or UConn.
Always wanted West Virginia simply for Hokie and Pitt games