Conference Realignment

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
How long does that last? For how long will these desperados sign away the money they're bringing in just to get a seat at our table?
Unless they can drag ND with them, it's more a sign of a coming dissolution than a long-range solution.
You’re right, it won’t last, but I understand that at least Stanford and SMU have agreed to join under those conditions — for a while at least. My guess is that the incentive of unequal distribution will keep the likes of Clemson and FSU happy for a little while longer, during which time they’ll continue to look for a way out.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I know some teams that are unlikely to be #18. All of them are not Notre Dame.

I think ND is beginning to get squeezed in this realignment round. We'll see. Them urging the ACC to take Stanford and Cal could simply be as they said, but if ND is forced to play 6 or 7 ACC games, then it's a small jump to 8 and full membership.
The huge jump is the TV$$

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I thought this chart was interesting for how it ranks by playoff viewership vs semis-to-semis or whatever. https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-playoff-ratings-bcs-history/

The overall bad things seem to be: we haven’t hit a 30M game in almost a decade, and struggling to break 25 in the last three years.

Some of the matchup numbers were the most interesting to me, though. Oregon in the highest viewed game of the last decade? Some novelty factor? UGA Alabama 2021 with a lot fewer viewers than 2017? TCU/Michigan with more viewers in the semi than Georgia/TCU with higher stakes? UGA fatigue? Probably a lot of matchup- and year- specific factors to each, but overall to me it doesn’t feel to me like it’s only the biggest names that are viable and attractive to viewers in those games.

“At least 4 million people who watched TCU against Michigan didn’t care to see what they did against UGA” isn’t the typical way that championship game viewer level is reported, but it’s weird - as is the 5M drop off from UGA/OSU. I’m perfectly ok with saying UGA is the problem ;)
I was one of those who didn’t bother to watch TCU vs UGA. I felt like the two most interesting games had already been played and each of those qualified as a championship type game.

In retrospect I think I was right.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I was one of those who didn’t bother to watch TCU vs UGA. I felt like the two most interesting games had already been played and each of those qualified as a championship type game.

In retrospect I think I was right.
I didn’t watch either. Or any of the playoffs. But I do think the ACC should force ND to play more games and keep some millions back for the top 4-5 teams.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, but that was like 2 hours ago.

Please Stop Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You’re right, it won’t last, but I understand that at least Stanford and SMU have agreed to join under those conditions — for a while at least. My guess is that the incentive of unequal distribution will keep the likes of Clemson and FSU happy for a little while longer, during which time they’ll continue to look for a way out.
yeah and by then Dabbo will have left to coach his alma mater. FSU will realized maybe they aren't quite as great as they currently think they are, UNC will continue to win some and lose some and the best team in the conference will be Miami with GA Tech and Va Tech battling them.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
7. I would prefer them play a normal schedule just like everyone else. We should also add Navy. Just thinking out loud.
Thanks for the answer. ND is not going to join the ACC in football as long as they have a reasonable TV deal as an Independent. I am not a fan of Navy joining the ACC. They don't really add any value in my opinion. It's a nice place to go to a football game but beyond than, nt for me.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
72/3 = 24. How does this increase the average payout?

Reference your question about the average payout, I had the same question, since the current ESPN payout is approximately 32 MIL per team. I believe the attached article which quotes Ross Dellenger helps explain. There are 3 payout Tiers within the contract. Apparently, the new teams may be able to advance in the future. They enter in Tier1.

Just so no one is confused, The ACC distribution is almost 40 MIL per team which includes Bowls, CFP, NCAA BB.

Attachments

• ACC Media Deal--Tiers.pdf
    413.7 KB · Views: 30

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
ND will not join a conference for FB unless it becomes untenable for them to make the playoffs as an independent.
My neighbor said they are trying to get ND to play more than 5 games to help balance the uneven number of teams.

Also, Stanford and Cal both feel competing in all ACC sports is critical. They don't like the idea of having to play Olympic sports in the MWC conference because those schools are not competitive enough. Baseball, softball, soccer, and volleyball are the hardest sports for them to schedule without being in a conference. And, they need those sports for Title IX compliance.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My neighbor said they are trying to get ND to play more than 5 games to help balance the uneven number of teams.

Also, Stanford and Cal both feel competing in all ACC sports is critical. They don't like the idea of having to play Olympic sports in the MWC conference because those schools are not competitive enough. Baseball, softball, soccer, and volleyball are the hardest sports for them to schedule without being in a conference. And, they need those sports for Title IX compliance.

I wouldn't even entertain the expansion without ND committing to at least 7 games with the ACC schools. Since they play Stanford anyhow, that's pretty much similar committing to 6 ACC games. If ND wants Calford in the ACC, and they don't want to commit to being a full time ACC football member, they need to make it appealing for the ACC and our media partners.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Reference your question about the average payout, I had the same question, since the current ESPN payout is approximately 32 MIL per team. I believe the attached article which quotes Ross Dellenger helps explain. There are 3 payout Tiers within the contract. Apparently, the new teams may be able to advance in the future. They enter in Tier1.

Just so no one is confused, The ACC distribution is almost 40 MIL per team which includes Bowls, CFP, NCAA BB.
Thanks for this summary. My take on what this means for current ACC teams including GT:
The pro-rata payouts per new team will be Tier 1 = 70% payout =~ 24M, and x3 = 72M total. I think that each new team would normally have access to the entire additional payout pet Tier 1, but Stanford and SMU are reported to be agreeing to a reduced amount for a number of years, as low as a 30% share, or possibly none in the case of SMU.
Net of all that is that some portion, possibly the majority, of the additional 72M would be available for distribution to the ACC’s current teams for a number of years. This incremental distribution may be affected by the ACC's agreeing to unbalanced payouts for performance. Too many variables to say exactly what this means for GT, but it could be a few $M more per year.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow

I hope this subject was brought up early in the discussions. If our Commissioner has waited until now to bring this up when the ACC members appear to be almost committed to the new members, ND will likely not budge.