Competition

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd wait before we call any freshman "super talented" just because they are playing now. In reality they aren't playing because they are better they are playing because of injuries. Do they have the potential to be good? Yes, I think so but time will tell. It's never good for any program to play this many freshman and burn their shirt. Good programs that are around year after year build great depth and play very few freshmen. Unfortunately, PJ didn't have much of a choice this year.
So you don't think Marcus Marshall, MLD, Brad Stewart, Will Bryan, A.J. Gray, T. Marshall, B. Mitchell are talented freshman? Have they been outstanding so far..no because as I mentioned they are green and 18 years old. There bodies are not even close to where they will be in the future. Also, have they been forced to play instead of Rshirt early..yes, but that doesn't mean they are not talented young players. All I was saying is that we haven't had freshman come in and contribute like this in this offense since CPJ was our HC is all I'm saying. This will payoff next year or maybe by seasons end having these young guys contribute this early.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I have never, EVER, for one second in my life been OK with losing nor would I expect anybody else to be. That was far from the point.
Yeah, I am not sure how he extrapolated that point when you were quite clear up front that you are an extremely competitive person. Competitive people do not like to lose. Just ask CPJ.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
my frustration lies with the fans.

You can't talk out of both sides of your mouth.

We can't be " top 5 team, JeT for Heisman, toughest schedule left, plug and play, top 4 contender, etc."
before the season and after 2 games

and

the same fans be " what do you expect look at the injuries, it's our recruiting, no blocking, bad reads, he didn't pitch it, etc.."
after you get handed 3 L's in a row.

As a fan base I doubt we are alone on this.
During the off season everybody is 0-0 until that first game so optimism reigns.
For us especially this year with the strong run at the end of last season.
And how else do you cope with three loses IAR without trying to figure out what is wrong ??

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I think some of you watched a different Duke game than I did. To me, I had the same feeling during that game that I had during the Notre Dame game....that the other team was simply more prepared and angry than we were that day.

I presume some of you are saying that we have more talent than Duke does so we should win, but they now have a 2-game winning streak versus us so I'm not sure that argument holds water either.

Now I agree that we flat out blew it versus North Carolina. This offense should theoretically never lose a game when it has a 21 point lead but theory is always different from reality.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think some of you watched a different Duke game than I did. To me, I had the same feeling during that game that I had during the Notre Dame game....that the other team was simply more prepared and angry than we were that day.

I presume some of you are saying that we have more talent than Duke does so we should win, but they now have a 2-game winning streak versus us so I'm not sure that argument holds water either.

Now I agree that we flat out blew it versus North Carolina. This offense should theoretically never lose a game when it has a 21 point lead but theory is always different from reality.

Not so sure about that. Two returns resulting in touchdowns changes that game from a W to a L

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Not so sure about that. Two returns resulting in touchdowns changes that game from a W to a L
No. Two returns resulting in TD's change that game to a Tie instead of a loss. We lost by 2 touchdowns.
Yes, our defense played well for most of that game. But the offense and special teams struggled. At one point, Duke led 21-3. We made some plays on offense to get the game back close at 19-13 and Duke immediately responded with a 100 yard kickoff return. We drive back down several minutes later and score to make it 26-20 but then Duke drives back down and scores to make it 2 TD's again. That's what good teams do. And I'm not saying Duke is necessarily a good team, but they were/are apparently better than us.

We averaged 3.6 yards per rush in that game and less than 200 yards rushing...that tells you how effective they were at stopping our offense.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
No. Two returns resulting in TD's change that game to a Tie instead of a loss. We lost by 2 touchdowns.
Yes, our defense played well for most of that game. But the offense and special teams struggled. At one point, Duke led 21-3. We made some plays on offense to get the game back close at 19-13 and Duke immediately responded with a 100 yard kickoff return. We drive back down several minutes later and score to make it 26-20 but then Duke drives back down and scores to make it 2 TD's again. That's what good teams do. And I'm not saying Duke is necessarily a good team, but they were/are apparently better than us.

We averaged 3.6 yards per rush in that game and less than 200 yards rushing...that tells you how effective they were at stopping our offense.

You think with a 7 point lead late in the game JT is gonna scramble around in the backfield and fumble to setup their last TD?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Yes, our defense played well for most of that game. But the offense and special teams struggled. At one point, Duke led 21-3.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Duke never led 21-3. For the record, it never reached an 18 point lead.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
You think with a 7 point lead late in the game JT is gonna scramble around in the backfield and fumble to setup their last TD?

I may be remembering this wrong actually. Their last score came after we didn't convert on 4th down, not after JT's fumble.

But the point still stands...we're probably leading the game 20-12 right then with the ball if the two returns don't happen...I think it turns out differently

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Doesn't really matter though...we still lost three in a row. All we can do now is move forward and try to correct what went wrong

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Duke never led 21-3. For the record, it never reached an 18 point lead.
My bad...19-3. Duke missed 2 different 2 point conversions but we had 1 FG and they had 3 TD's at the time. I had forgotten they missed the 2-point conversions.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
Boomer, that's simply one of the best posts I've seen on any GT message board since I've joined the Hive and began posting in the late '90s. And I've made a few great posts myself! ;)

I think it's worthy to point out the players hate losing more than we do, and deal with it better.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boomer, that's simply one of the best posts I've seen on any GT message board since I've joined the Hive and began posting in the late '90s. And I've made a few great posts myself! ;)

I think it's worthy to point out the players hate losing more than we do, and deal with it better.
Thanks bro.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer

Some would say that means they really don't hate losing.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Well stated and 100% true. Infuriating is an appropriate response and one different from many posters. We got beat once (ND) where we had a slight chance to win, and we flat out lost twice, where we should have won.

We play them all again next year. Glory is wonderful but it is also fleeting. Even if it doesn't work out this (which it hasn't) the future is bright. I like our players and our coaches, and I'll be there to the end. Thanks Boomer, you are a leader of men.