Competition

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have to be honest and confess that I am mystified somewhat by most fanbases' reaction to losses, or even losing streaks like ours. I want to start by stating the obvious. In our sport there is exactly one winner and one loser in EVERY contest, without exception. Considering that fact, it is prudent to accept in one's mind that losing is, at least, a possibility if you choose to compete. To extend the argument even further and take a closer look at a 3 game losing streak (like the one we are mired in), I ask you to assume equally matched teams. Most would readily concede that the sides of flipped coin are also equally matched. If on one side we put an "L" and on the other a "W" there would be a 1 in 8 chance that 3 L's would come up in a row ( I am a math teacher, trust me). Now considering that seasons are 12 games long, if you are playing schedules filled with equally matched teams, you could expect to have one 3 game losing streak every two seasons. Obviously, there are a lot of variables in CFB that don't present themselves in coin flipping, but I think it helps to look at things that way.

Obviously we don't want to be average and we hope to be superior to our opponents, tipping things in our favor more often than not, resulting in good won loss records.

I consider myself about as competitive as any person on the planet. I flat out LOVE any chance I can to compete. I mean, I couldn't give up sports until I was absolutely forced to physically. I played pick up hoops against the twenty somethings (good athletes) until my mid late 40s and actually played baseball competitively until just before my 50th birthday etc etc. I didn't matter what the sport was, I would play. Those experiences, combined with being a coach, for all those years have unrepentently beaten into my head that, despite how much I hate to, the reality is, sometimes I would lose. It just comes with the territory. But the more I think about it, knowing the fact that I COULD lose is what makes the experience of REAL competition so much more rich. When the opponent is formidable and the ensuing battle expected to be most fierce, the quality of the experience cannot be surpassed. To win under such circumstances is most rewarding, but the problem is, you have to risk the most physically and emotionally just to step into that arena.

I am having trouble processing some of the stuff I hear around here. I have to be honest. Like anybody, I have been disappointed after every loss. However, I don't for a second feel as though I have been wronged in any way or subjected to any unusual punishment. I don't feel like it is too painful to endure any more and I don't feel like I have to back off the level of my emotional involvement in order to cope. In fact, it is just the opposite. I am here for the long haul because I love the Jackets and I love the challenge and spirit of true competition. Because I am too brittle to compete myself anymore, it has become even MORE important to me to be a Ramblin Wreck fan just to fill the void.

Honestly, I am beginning to wonder if our culture has become so entitled and self-absorbed that we no longer view a loss as a loss, but rather something that we were rightfully entitled to that has been taken away due to somebody's incompetence causing undue personal injury. We no longer feel fortunate to win, just harmed if we don't. In fact, it may no longer even be considered entertainment if we don't come out on the winning end.

I will readily admit that, as a player, it was always easier to walk off the field and absorb a loss mentally than it ever has been as a coach or a fan. I think the reason is that I experienced first hand the strength and talent of the guys I was going against and, in doing so, developed respect for them. Probably also, being physically exhausted tends to quell the anger a little.

Right now our kids are engaged in a battle to turn some things around. The next game is huge. We could lose. However, we could get things back on track with a solid performance and a win. I urge you reflect on what it means to be a fan and simply stay engaged while benefitting deeply and fully from the beauty of athletic competition. The joy of winning would be totally absent if it was the only possibility. Try and remember that.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Great post boomer. Made a lot of points that have been in my mind recently. I've played organized sports as a youth and a bit in high school. No Bo Jackson here and no college level sports for sure (intramural football doesn't count lol)....too slow footed for that. But I've been in enough fights to have some understanding of measuring oneself against another physically. Jujitsu training I've done has garnered the same. Sometimes the other guy is just better. Sometimes they just get a lucky punch through. Those things happen and they happen in the trenches in games one on one and on the field as a whole (team). You have to give respect when the other guy gets you. The important thing is to continue the fight, never give up, seek victory after experiencing defeat. I think our team has that kind of grit. I'll be in Death Valley cheering them on. Go Jackets!

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
The good news is that I am beginning to accept that we aren't entitled to win every game. I do think there are some justified concern's about CPJ's playcalling though. That said, I will support this team no matter what, and I will look forward to seeing our boys play Clemson. Echoing your comment, it is much more rewarding to beat a 4-0 Clemson while at 2-3 than the reverse. It's also much more rewarding to work on analyzing the players' matchups and performances and seeing how they stack up. Even after a loss, it provides some bright spots.

Lastly, I think I was one of the only people to be seriously concerned over the state of the A-backs in the off-season. The majority seemed to be worried about the WRs. Perhaps we need to realize that CPJ's offense can confuse our team just as much as it confuses the opponents. It's not fun to be on the wrong side of CPJ's system, as the last few weeks have demonstrated. :D

Let's go out there on Saturday and run the ball. Let's see them try to stop us. Let's beat those kittens.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
@Boomergump , agree completely.

I never played team sports, but even in individual sports like swimming, running or cycling you're shooting for a time, a distance, or a personal best. If you don't reach it, you try again the next day.

To me college sports above all should be the ultimate in sportsmanlike competition. If you want to live and die through your team, that's fine; that's what pro sports are for. I don't have kids but from what I've heard, the atmosphere you're talking about has become just awful in high school and below. (Our coaches here can speak to that far better than I can.)

College sports are at least supposed to be -- and in our case, are -- part of something bigger. Part of getting an education; part of the traditions, legends and ceremonies surrounding a school we either attended or have chosen to affiliate ourselves with -- for reasons bigger than just sports.

College ball should be enjoyed, above and beyond anything else, except maybe the privilege of seeing our young men become the best they can be.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
What doesnt kill u makes u stronger.
Many focus on the defeat as final. IMO the off season( is coming too soon. Now we should relish the chance to exhange ideas amoung Tech men both graduates and sidewalk fans.
Tech football has so many variables like academics, size of school, unique offense, competes in major pro sports market, recruiting competition, coach thats not politician, etc. While each brings challenges, they ALSO mke us stronger. What remains with this team and should remain with us is a love for ga tech football and a never quit attitude. These are our guys, some a little short, some a little slow but all quality guys who ready to do battle . After every game they have the same team huddle = victory or defeat

I

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
God bless you Boomer, that lifted my heart.

Its probably an artifact of the short season that we imagine single games are perfect signals for transcendental goodness wrt football.

Sometimes you lose. Sometimes the 'best' team loses 3 in a row. Baseball teams know it, swimmers know it, debaters know it, chess players know it.

Yeah, I wanted a national championship too. I can wait.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
This needs to be posted on every UGA board. GT's fan base is nowhere near as delusional as they are, however, some do tend to go over board here too. Beautiful thing is every week right up to the end of the season we get the chance to feel good again! Go Jackets!

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
Amen Boom. Guys we have a great coach. We have a great team as well (Yes they are green in spots), but this will only stabilize our program for the future. Think about it, when was the last time we had this many freshman contribute this heavily? Plus I'd take a chance to say the staff hit on most of them. They are super talented.. just young. Therefore, we must expect some mental errors. Does this mean expect mediocrity as a fan base? No, but we must see the silver lining in being forced to play these young guys. I haven't seen a freshman class this talented since '07 class. Let's get behind our guys this season. Ya we've been punched in the mouth, but dammit I can promise you Clemson will know they've been in a fight. Guys look at the history of this game "We Own Them" we got em right where we want em. Win, lose or dawn I'm a Jacket till I die! I love this team and program.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Well said Boomer. I think we had a lot, and I mean a lot, of good fortune last year. I think it spoiled us as fans a bit. Lady luck is either on your side or she isn't. I want us to win each week, but mainly I want us to get better each week.

My biggest disappointment this season is not our record. My biggest disappointment is that we do not tackle well on defense, and I do not see any improvement there. That has been a problem since Alcorn.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
Great post, Boomer - I would add that we should remember that we are all fans, not players on this team and certainly not the coach, although we all like to be armchair QBs. We are in the stands because we do not have the physical ability to play the game or coach at that level (well, maybe some on this blog do, but the vast majority of us cannot make that claim - being a girl who only played flag football, I certainly have NO claim to fully understand the game from a player's perspective although I really try). These are extraordinary people with extraordinary talent most of us can't fathom. But they are people - mere mortals - nonetheless. They are subject to injury, making mistakes, and having bad days, just like all of us - they are just on the main stage for everyone to pick apart and analyze, criticize, and second guess each and every move they make. I for one am glad that my every move at my job is not subject to that kind of scrutiny. :)

I wholeheartedly believe that Boomer is right - the joy of winning is absent when the possibility of defeat is not present. Each week is a new opportunity. GO JACKETS!

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
a sublime post. Our culture over emphasises these recreational distractions, and in doing so, assigns them a place and dignity to which they have no right. Ask yourselves if you ever a took a loss so hard (that you only viewed as a fan) that it affected the way you treated your family or friends (or dog) for days. Or perhaps you spent too much time on a message board instead of work , failing to attend to your true responsibilities and loves. I'm the first guilty party and that is my confession. There is a place for enjoyment of sport, and it can be a great distraction. I'm trying to make sure that is all it is.

Do we really want to see fanaticism carried out to the degree seen in European soccer? We already have NFL fans killing each other in the parking lot.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
Amen Boom. Guys we have a great coach. We have a great team as well (Yes they are green in spots), but this will only stabilize our program for the future. Think about it, when was the last time we had this many freshman contribute this heavily? Plus I'd take a chance to say the staff hit on most of them. They are super talented.. just young. Therefore, we must expect some mental errors. Does this mean expect mediocrity as a fan base? No, but we must see the silver lining in being forced to play these young guys. I haven't seen a freshman class this talented since '07 class. Let's get behind our guys this season. Ya we've been punched in the mouth, but dammit I can promise you Clemson will know they've been in a fight. Guys look at the history of this game "We Own Them" we got em right where we want em. Win, lose or dawn I'm a Jacket till I die! I love this team and program.

I'd wait before we call any freshman "super talented" just because they are playing now. In reality they aren't playing because they are better they are playing because of injuries. Do they have the potential to be good? Yes, I think so but time will tell. It's never good for any program to play this many freshman and burn their shirt. Good programs that are around year after year build great depth and play very few freshmen. Unfortunately, PJ didn't have much of a choice this year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Excellent post, Boom. I too, have played and coached sports nearly my entire life. I've been on and coached champions and teams with nary a win at all. It's funny how much easier it is to accept the realities of outcomes when you are directly involved in them. It's much harder as a fan and you provide a much needed reminder. Thanks!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'd wait before we call any freshman "super talented" just because they are playing now. In reality they aren't playing because they are better they are playing because of injuries. Do they have the potential to be good? Yes, I think so but time will tell. It's never good for any program to play this many freshman and burn their shirt. Good programs that are around year after year build great depth and play very few freshmen. Unfortunately, PJ didn't have much of a choice this year.
Having giant classes (by our standards) followed by small classes and having low attrition followed by high attrition and having minimal injury followed by massive injury has a way of wrecking your depth chart, not to mention your w/l record. We have a fairly small number of schollies to sign in the coming spring. Unfortunately, we'll feel the pain of that 4 and 5 years in the future when these kids are seniors. The year or two before that should be pretty swell, however!