Coming soon to GT: Corporate sponsorships and new names for football field and basketball gym

Wildbilliam1990

Georgia Tech Fan
Those saying Hyundai makes a crappy “econovehicle” need to go have a look & step into this century. Hyundai (Genesis) have been making some of the best cars around since the late 2000’s. My family made the switch from German cars and American (Mexican) trucks to mostly Hyundai around that time & never looked back. Great vehicles with a great warranty (they stand behind their product unlike others - looking at you Ford). Maybe I’m just young and with confirmation bias but I’d rather have a Hyundai or a Toyota from Alabama than a Mexican made Dodge or Ford. Don’t even get me started on the state of manufacturing in Detroit today. Preferring antiquated American brands that don’t use American manufacturing seems a bit Fuddy to me. This is a win every way you slice it. Get money, screw debt. Go USA! Go Jackets!

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
Those saying Hyundai makes a crappy “econovehicle” need to go have a look & step into this century. Hyundai (Genesis) have been making some of the best cars around since the late 2000’s. My family made the switch from German cars and American (Mexican) trucks to mostly Hyundai around that time & never looked back. Great vehicles with a great warranty (they stand behind their product unlike others - looking at you Ford). Maybe I’m just young and with confirmation bias but I’d rather have a Hyundai or a Toyota from Alabama than a Mexican made Dodge or Ford. Don’t even get me started on the state of manufacturing in Detroit today. Preferring antiquated American brands that don’t use American manufacturing seems a bit Fuddy to me. This is a win every way you slice it. Get money, screw debt. Go USA! Go Jackets!

Yeah, It's pretty funny to read some of these comments. Hyundai has been on par or even better than the top Japanese manufacturers for 20+ years, with even better warranties, but the 80s rep is still strong with Boomers.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Yeah, It's pretty funny to read some of these comments. Hyundai has been on par or even better than the top Japanese manufacturers for 20+ years, with even better warranties, but the 80s rep is still strong with Boomers.

I'm Gen-x, not a boomer, but I'll freely admit I was pretty biased towards Hyundai for a long time. Their early offerings were terrible, but they learned from their mistakes and have become a very reliable car brand. We recently took possession of my mother-in-law's 2012 Tucson, as she can no longer drive due to Parkinson's and the beginning stages of dementia. I have been shocked at how well that car drives. Call me a converted fan of the brand now.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Joe Hyundai was a powerful pitch man. The force was very strong with that one.

force GIF

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm Gen-x, not a boomer, but I'll freely admit I was pretty biased towards Hyundai for a long time. Their early offerings were terrible, but they learned from their mistakes and have become a very reliable car brand. We recently took possession of my mother-in-law's 2012 Tucson, as she can no longer drive due to Parkinson's and the beginning stages of dementia. I have been shocked at how well that car drives. Call me a converted fan of the brand now.
Sorry to hear about your mom-in-law. Already been down a similar path.

While I don't own a Hyundai (yet), I will say I'm thankful to them as they are paying my work team's bills for the next 3 years as we work on/around the Meta-site EV facility! As others have said, they are making some very nice cars at present and are at the top of many best of/satisfaction/maintenance surveys. This ain't your grandpa's Hyundai ;)

slugboy

Staff member
I drove past the megafactory going to Brunswick a couple of weeks back. That’s a huge facility, and it’s going to be a ton of jobs. They’ll be hiring some engineers, too.

It’s a long-ish drive to the beach from there, but it’s a lot closer to the beach than Atlanta is. Grads will be able to have a decent lifestyle, if they drive a bit.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I drove past the megafactory going to Brunswick a couple of weeks back. That’s a huge facility, and it’s going to be a ton of jobs. They’ll be hiring some engineers, too.

It’s a long-ish drive to the beach from there, but it’s a lot closer to the beach than Atlanta is. Grads will be able to have a decent lifestyle, if they drive a bit.
Only about an hour to Tybee. 1:30 to St Simons. Pooler area outside of Savannah is blowing up too.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
So, surely they’re gonna hang illuminated signage all over the stadium, right? Do they edit the “Welcome to the Flats” at the corner of NA and Techwood? Inside, south endzone, do they replace the Lexus logos? Big Coke logo? At Historic Grant Field?

I can see a big illuminated Hyundai logo high outside the North Stands, and one above gate 9 and 10.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
So, surely they’re gonna hang illuminated signage all over the stadium, right? Do they edit the “Welcome to the Flats” at the corner of NA and Techwood? Inside, south endzone, do they replace the Lexus logos? Big Coke logo? At Historic Grant Field?

I can see a big illuminated Hyundai logo high outside the North Stands, and one above gate 9 and 10.
If it helps us beat Ugag, I'm all for it.
The new rambling wreck!
View attachment 14559
Well, at least it's got a rumble seat.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Wonder how much money we get for this?

Bobby Dodd Stadium at Hyundai Field.

Missed this part

"$55M for naming rights plus $20M in advertising, bringing the total to $75M, or $3.75M per year over the next 20 years."

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
You know what was a bad deal? Syracuse selling naming rights in perpetuity to Carrier in 1979 for a total of $2.75M.

The update to that is in 2022, Syracuse found a way to cleanly sever from Carrier and are now sponsored by JMA Wireless. 'Cuse got a 10-year deal "worth at least $3.25M annually". This is for stadium naming rights, not naming rights for the field within the stadium, for a facility used for football, basketball, lacrosse, etc.

Through that lens, $3.75M/year seems like a great deal for naming rights for a football field only (plus additional marketing opportunities). We still keep "Bobby Dodd Stadium". And we have separate revenue streams for our other sports.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Sorry to hear about your mom-in-law. Already been down a similar path.

While I don't own a Hyundai (yet), I will say I'm thankful to them as they are paying my work team's bills for the next 3 years as we work on/around the Meta-site EV facility! As others have said, they are making some very nice cars at present and are at the top of many best of/satisfaction/maintenance surveys. This ain't your grandpa's Hyundai ;)
This may give me an incentive to buy a Genesis to replace my Cadillac for my next car. I've been looking into them before this happened.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Older models that don't have the ignition kill switch that disables the vehicle. They've developed a software update that fixed that problem.
The list of affected vehicles includes numerous 2021 and 2022 models, hardly what I would call older.