Coming soon to GT: Corporate sponsorships and new names for football field and basketball gym

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Just FYI, the Hyundai partnership goes deeper than just the field naming rights. https://ramblinwreck.com/georgia-tech-and-hyundai-announce-multi-decade-partnership/
Going to need some details because that piece is very underwhelming.

We need the money, $3.5M a year is nothing to sneeze at, but something doesn't seem right selling out to a foreign company & a car manufacturer known for low end, economical vehicles. I don't think that is something that would make a lot of people think "wow" that synchs with GT's brand as a dare I say it an elite, cutting edge of technology Institute.

Not pissed, but not thrilled. Maybe I'm just disappointed, ambivalent, etc. I do understand our finances are horrible, just sucks we had to resort to this.

What's next Checker's Court, Fiat Field, Sears Stadium, AIG Arena, etc?

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Hyundai is rapidly trying to shed the economobile reputation, there’s probably an aspect of wanting to get a shine from GT to them in the less-sportsy parts that will come out. Like Toyota or Honda a few decades ago.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Going to need some details because that piece is very underwhelming.

We need the money, $3.5M a year is nothing to sneeze at, but something doesn't seem right selling out to a foreign company & a car manufacturer known for low end, economical vehicles. I don't think that is something that would make a lot of people think "wow" that synchs with GT's brand as a dare I say it an elite, cutting edge of technology Institute.

Not pissed, but not thrilled. Maybe I'm just disappointed, ambivalent, etc. I do understand our finances are horrible, just sucks we had to resort to this.

What's next Checker's Court, Fiat Field, Sears Stadium, AIG Arena, etc?
I saw $55M over 20 years or $2.75M/year not $3.5M

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Based on what I think is low balling

College stadiums (so far) typically get between $800k to $3 million a year when they sell naming rights. USC is an outlier with over $4 mil per year. Since we are in the upper range of the sweet spot I think we did ok. Of course, if you are going to stick to your opinion vs facts, then you are obviously correct.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Wonder what the price tag is to get Dodd’s name? It’s just a matter of time. Btw I owned a Hyundai, complete pos. I’m sure we will spend the money wisely

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
To all the posters worried about losing our history...an insightful post from another site – "You know what would kill our history is if we become any more irrelevant. Then no one’s gonna give a öööö about Grant or Dodd.”
Dropping down and not trying to win

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Overall, I'm happy the sponsor has a solid Georgia connection. Automotive fits our engineering profile. Seems a good right down the middle fit, with a mid to high tier payout. Things can always be better, but this is pretty good.
And I'm glad that they included an agreement to commemorate the Grant Field name in some way in the stadium.
They did what they could to preserve the history of the Flats while cashing in on some desperately needed funds. Looks like a great deal all around.
As you mentioned, if we don't get some dough rolling in here, our history won't mean much. Ironically, this deal helps preserve it.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
What about GT’s affiliation with BMW. If I remember correctly their logo used to be on the backboard behind the coaches during PR events. BMW gave a high luxury feel to our brand where as Hyundai does not appeal to the same customer base. I mean $55-70 million over the next 20 years (surprised it wasn’t more like 10-15 years) is nothing to sneeze but then again $3 million a year now vs.same $3 million in 10 years won’t have the same spending power. Wonder how much GT gets of this up front versus a large up front payment and then less on the backend. Plus I would like to know what the terms are if Hyundai or GT wants out of the contract?

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
The new rambling wreck!
Screenshot_20230808-212607~3.png