Coming soon to GT: Corporate sponsorships and new names for football field and basketball gym

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We got lowballed. 55 mil for 20 years is chump change. Bow down to the almighty dollar. We need the money badly but jeez. Considering the amount of money that's poured into college football annually, 55 mil for 20 years is lowwww. Go Jackets
55 mil Sounds like a lot of money just to hang a name on a field in a 55,000-seat stadium. That comes to $1,000 a seat.
It's like selling out the stadium at $50 a pop one game for the next 20 years.
And we still get to put up a marker commemorating Grant Field - tradition preserved.

Last edited:

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
We got lowballed. 55 mil for 20 years is chump change. Bow down to the almighty dollar. We need the money badly but jeez. Considering the amount of money that's poured into college football annually, 55 mil for 20 years is lowwww. Go Jackets
Lowballed based on what? Are you comparing it to SoFi Stadium? I got news for you buddy, we don't have the draw of an NFL team

slugboy

Staff member
It’s an improvement to our finances. We need to attack our debt with chainsaws and flame throwers.

I know money is fungible, but we need a lot more of this to fill in the hole we dug over the last 25 years.

I’d love for this to be four times this size.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
It’s an improvement to our finances. We need to attack our debt with chainsaws and flame throwers.

I know money is fungible, but we need a lot more of this to fill in the hole we dug over the last 25 years.

I’d love for this to be four times this size.
Let's put this in perspective. $3.5M annually is equivalent to a 25% increase in donations to the AA, 26% of our debt service, or 28% of our ticket sales. It moves the needle in the right direction at a time when the need is dire.
I, and most others on this board, refer to the location where GT plays football as "BDS". That doesn't change. I doubt many alums or even football fans know the history behind the original naming of the field. No disrespect to Mr. Grant, but the contribution he made to the stadium is no longer used. We dropped the "Hugh Inman" part of the name long ago, I don't recall anyone complaining.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
s-l1200 (1).jpg

Techster

Helluva Engineer
No one outside of sports announcers on gameday will mention Hyundai, and that will be because they will have to.

Schultz isn't wrong. It will ALWAYS be BDS and Grant Field...it's just now Hyundai gets the privilege of stroking millions to paint their name on the field.

Also, the numbers keep getting bigger and bigger. Let's see where the final numbers come in.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
No one outside of sports announcers on gameday will mention Hyundai, and that will be because they will have to.

Schultz isn't wrong. It will ALWAYS be BDS and Grant Field...it's just now Hyundai gets the privilege of stroking millions to paint their name on the field.

Also, the numbers keep getting bigger and bigger. Let's see where the final numbers come in.

Shultz IS wrong. It's been Bobby Dodd Stadium at Grant Field. It's Now Bobby Dodd Stadium at Hyundai Field.

Creative

Georgia Tech Fan
$55 Million. Obviously, there is good and bad to this. I am certain, we will all still say “BDS”. I am certain there will be pushback, but this is where we are in CFB. We need the money and now we have more. Thoughts?

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
$55 Million. Obviously, there is good and bad to this. I am certain, we will all still say “BDS”. I am certain there will be pushback, but this is where we are in CFB. We need the money and now we have more. Thoughts?
It’s still Bobby Dodd Stadium, and that’s what I’ll call it (as I always have) They can give us $$$ to call the playing area “Hyundai Field”, but so what?