Coming soon to GT: Corporate sponsorships and new names for football field and basketball gym

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
“In return for these payments, Georgia Tech is seeking board approval to rename its football field as Bobby Dodd Stadium at Hyundai Field. To be clear, the naming is not for the stadium, but reflects the name change of the field from Grant Field to Hyundai Field. The Athletic Association reserves the right to create a commemorative display inside the stadium to recognize the former name of the Historic Grant Field and the sole discretion to reference that name from time to time.”

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Some more details on the timeline...
"Neuse confirmed the initial agreement is for a 10-year contract with two five-year renewals. The contract can be terminated in the case of a catastrophic event or any reputational risk."

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Embarrassing. Just like taking Alexander's name off of the basketball arena. You don't take a historic name off of something that was named to honor someone. You can add to it (Bryant-Denny Stadium, Jordan-Hare Stadium), but you don't take someone's name off. I will never refer to the basketball arena as "McCamish." Good for him for donating the money, but be creative in adding his name to the name that is already in place. They took the name of a former coach and AD off the basketball arena and are now taking the name of over 100 years from the football stadium. Happy to have Hyundai's money and sponsorship, but they should've been more creative. This is embarrassing and I hope no one ever refers to it as Hyundai Field. Sad day.

EddieK

Jolly Good Fellow
Embarrassing. Just like taking Alexander's name off of the basketball arena. You don't take a historic name off of something that was named to honor someone. You can add to it (Bryant-Denny Stadium, Jordan-Hare Stadium), but you don't take someone's name off. I will never refer to the basketball arena as "McCamish." Good for him for donating the money, but be creative in adding his name to the name that is already in place. They took the name of a former coach and AD off the basketball arena and are now taking the name of over 100 years from the football stadium. Happy to have Hyundai's money and sponsorship, but they should've been more creative. This is embarrassing and I hope no one ever refers to it as Hyundai Field. Sad day.
Ok, I'll call it Grant-Hyundai Field

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I won't. I'll just call it Bobby Dodd, as I always have.

Great news to see us land this financial opportunity for GT athletics!

Congrats to all involved with its execution!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
$55-$70 MILLION...and we have complainers?

Everyone does realize it costs money to run a sports program, right? You want a good head football coach/defensive coordinator/offensive coordinator/recruiting staff for football? You want a good head coach or homerun recruiting assistant in basketball? Those cost a LOT of money.

Guess what? If our fans go to games and fill up the stadium or donate a LOT more money, GT wouldn't have to find creative ways to finance the GTAA. As it stands, GT just got a lucrative sponsorship and naming rights deal to help this program compete at the national level.

GT has been so bad with business decisions before, but this is not one of them. GT finally has competent people running the GTAA.

I'll also add this. Hyundai just invested over $5 BILLION to build an auto plant near Savannah. They're not only going to be a good partner for GT, but a good partner for the state of GA. Lots of wins here for both sides.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
$55-$70 MILLION...and we have complainers?

Everyone does realize it costs money to run a sports program, right? You want a good head football coach/defensive coordinator/offensive coordinator/recruiting staff for football? You want a good head coach or homerun recruiting assistant in basketball? Those cost a LOT of money.

Guess what? If our fans go to games and fill up the stadium or donate a LOT more money, GT wouldn't have to find creative ways to finance the GTAA. As it stands, GT just got a lucrative sponsorship and naming rights deal to help this program compete at the national level.

GT has been so bad with business decisions before, but this is not one of them. GT finally has competent people running the GTAA.

I'll also add this. Hyundai just invested over $5 BILLION to build an auto plant near Savannah. They're not only going to be a good partner for GT, but a good partner for the state of GA. Lots of wins here for both sides.

Very happy to have the money. It will help the program quite a bit. Unhappy that they are taking a name that has been in place for over 100 years away. Should've found a better way to handle that. That's the only complaint.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow

Absolutely Agree!